OT: Celtics trades before deadline. Possibly Rudy Gay | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Celtics trades before deadline. Possibly Rudy Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pierce is a 35 year old who shoots 43% from the field. He's not getting any better. He has a usage rate of 28. The Celtics can't try and keep the band together. They're not good enough to do that, and they matchup terribly with both the Heat and the Bulls.

And is Rudy, while being overpaid, getting any better? I know the Cs are trying to get younger but with the combination of his contract and his production I just don't see how its worth it when its looking like he can't even be the 3rd best player on a contending squad. I thought he was turning a corner after that OKC game earlier in the season but with the play he's played for the majority of the season I just don't see it. Cousins I would take a gamble on because I think the right organization would make a difference, Rudy, I would pass on.

Reaction Score
Pierce will retire a Celtic. 35 year old Pierce > 26 year old Rudy. And they won't acquire someone like Rudy, because once the Big 3 era is over that would keep them around the 8 seed/back of the lottery and in the NBA you either have to suck or be really good. Cousins is worth every risk because he has the potential to be the best center this decade. He has the most talent of any center in the league right now, he is just a wackjob. Despite this he is still a top 5 center in the league right now.

And tot he post above about talent, in my opinion Melo is a dud. A late first isn't worth much. Sullinger might be something, and Avery Bradley is probably the only other piece worth much in the trade. Maybe they would send Courtney Lee and one of Melo/Sullinger plus a pick for Cousins, I don't know.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Yes you are daydreaming and a homer. I obviously love Kemba, but he doesn't have all the tools Rondo has. Rondo is a much better passer, rebounder, shoots a higher percentage from the field and finishes at the basket more consistently.

1) much of this is simply not true
2) rondo is in his 7th year, kemba in his 2nd, and kemba is better than rondo was in his 2nd, maybe even much better
3) rondo was playing with 3 1st ballot HOF's when he emerged. Kemba is playing with a consignment shop squad
4) I think time will show kemba to be a superior leader as well

and being a C's fan, I appreciate rondo

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
So, according to The Boneyard, the Celtics can fix their problems by trading a future Hall of Famer (Pierce) for a guy who's never been an All-Star, and another future HOFer (Rondo) for a second-year player who has quite a bit to prove (Kemba). Let me guess - they should also trade Garnett for Thabeet?

Unless Memphis is willing to take Jeff Green off the Celtics' hands, I'll pass on Rudy.

you really have a knack for reading between the lines, or not

especially love that "fix all their problems" line, classic. Who said that again?

throw in another straw man about thabeet, and baddabing, priceless

the C's should never trade Pierce, he should retire with them. But if they made those trades, they would certainly be better off in say 3 years or so, give or take 2 years

PS: and how about if we replace KG with Drummond :) as opposed to Thabeet

Reaction Score
1) much of this is simply not true
2) rondo is in his 7th year, kemba in his 2nd, and kemba is better than rondo was in his 2nd, maybe even much better
3) rondo was playing with 3 1st ballot HOF's when he emerged. Kemba is playing with a consignment shop squad
4) I think time will show kemba to be a superior leader as well

and being a C's fan, I appreciate rondo

I don't know what isn't true about that, particularly Rondo being a much better passer and while he can't shoot he always has a high field goal percentage, which Kemba does not.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
kemba would be a terrible fit on the heat, not that the bobcats would ever make that trade

He is their franchise player at this point. They won't be landing any free agents any time soon. They won't be good until Andrew Wiggins is starting for them.

Reaction Score
How exactly is Rondo a "thug"?

How isn't he? Just look at his current suspension, his fourth in a year. I didn't say I didn't think he was a great basketball player. He is however, a very polarizing figure. He plays hard, he's a warrior. Just wouldn't want him representing my team. A lot like Allen Iverson.

Kemba is a different story.

Reaction Score
I'm a daydreaming here, but man would I love Kemba for Rondo

and yes, this homer thinks Kemba will be better. He has all the tools Rondo has, except he can shoot better and he has a dynamic personality

LOL Thanks I needed that. You do know that Rondo is in the same conversation as Derrick Rose and Chris Paul.

Please wake up before the game thread tonight.

Reaction Score
How isn't he? Just look at his current suspension, his fourth in a year. I didn't say I didn't think he was a great basketball player. He is however, a very polarizing figure. He plays hard, he's a warrior. Just wouldn't want him representing my team. A lot like Allen Iverson.

Kemba is a different story.

No, I asked how he's a "thug" - saying "how isn't he" doesn't cut it. Elaborate. "A lot like Allen Iverson"? In what way? I don't think I've seen anything about Rondo in handcuffs, beating women, etc. He seems to me like a competitive guy who plays with an edge. I'm fairly certain that if he was a UConn alum you'd have a much different opinion of him and you'd be griping about how unfair his suspension is.

I wish people would dial back the "thug" references. It's unseemly.

Reaction Score
Pierce will retire a Celtic. 35 year old Pierce > 26 year old Rudy. And they won't acquire someone like Rudy, because once the Big 3 era is over that would keep them around the 8 seed/back of the lottery and in the NBA you either have to suck or be really good. Cousins is worth every risk because he has the potential to be the best center this decade. He has the most talent of any center in the league right now, he is just a wackjob. Despite this he is still a top 5 center in the league right now.

And tot he post above about talent, in my opinion Melo is a dud. A late first isn't worth much. Sullinger might be something, and Avery Bradley is probably the only other piece worth much in the trade. Maybe they would send Courtney Lee and one of Melo/Sullinger plus a pick for Cousins, I don't know.

Maybe he has the most talent in the league, but it hasn't resulted in a ton of production. Dwight Howard is still the best center in the league, and it isn't particularly close as of right now.

Reaction Score
Maybe he has the most talent in the league, but it hasn't resulted in a ton of production. .

Who argues with that? No one. The book on Cousins is that he's got the talent to be the best big man in the league, he just needs to be in a situation where his head is on straight.

Reaction Score
No, I asked how he's a "thug" - saying "how isn't he" doesn't cut it. Elaborate. "A lot like Allen Iverson"? In what way? I don't think I've seen anything about Rondo in handcuffs, beating women, etc. He seems to me like a competitive guy who plays with an edge. I'm fairly certain that if he was a UConn alum you'd have a much different opinion of him and you'd be griping about how unfair his suspension is.

I wish people would dial back the "thug" references. It's unseemly.

Alright, jerk, pr!ck, loser, primadona, whichever you like.
RR would skip, and or be late, to practices/meetings.
AI: "We's talkin' about practice."
Getting physical with refs is not good either (although as fans we've wanted to ourselves:)).
Four suspensions within a year, and not cooperating with league officials in the investigation.
He's a polarizing figure whom teammates have had problems with in the locker room.
He constantly clashes with teammates, his coach, opposing players, and refs.
In interviews, he comes across as an extremely pompous jerk.
I could go on and on.

Love the guy's game (a fantastic point, who can get triple-doubles with the best in history, and is ultra competitive), his character is unseemly. No need to defend him.

Kemba, however is, is the opposite. All I was trying to say. And it doesn't take an NBA GM to figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom