OT: CCSU in FCS Playoffs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: CCSU in FCS Playoffs

Reaction Score
What an awful beat for CCSU. A party in which nobody was injured or even considered unsafe a block from campus is worth a court summons now? Jesus
Mansfield just banned group gatherings. You cannot meet with a group of people you are affiliated with without breaking the law.

Reaction Score
But more background.

Doesn't make me feel any better about it. You live near a college, you reap the benefits, and don't want to face any of the negative consequences that come with it.

Reaction Score
It's fair to say more Central fans care about UConn.

I bet that isn't as accurate as you might think anymore. By no means is the campus full of rabid CCSU fans, but I think they are more supportive of their own basketball and football programs than they were back in the 1980s and 1990s. The Howie years were great for the school and football is at least playing at a higher level (scholarship I-AA) against programs like UNH, JMU, etc. now.

Yes, the early days of UConn's rise to national prominence, the campus and the entire State was full of UConn support. I can remember driving to Storrs to watch #6 UConn take on a #4 Villanova at Gamble in the nationally televised game on CBS circa 1995. Sure, who isn't going to root for a winner and a national program? Starting with Chris Smith, through the NIT and the Tate George shot, and the National Championship, we were all UConn fans.

But I hate to break it to most of you though, those days likely long gone. Don't kid yourselves today they aren't in the dorms at CCSU with their TVs tuned into the UConn-Tulane basketball game or watching the huskies lose to B.C. in football. Most are probably into pro sports or non-sporting events to begin with. Then, not to mention many CCSU students and alums carry a lot of resentment about the amount of funding and resources provided by the State for anything with a 'UConn' label.

You guy already know this, but conference realignment and the AAC has and will kill UConn as a national brand. I have no illusions that CCSU will bridge the gap between the 2 schools, but I predict you guys are going to fall down closer to us than you would like to see. And let's be honest, football hasn't been in a major conference (Big East) long enough to have built a causal fan base. Attendance and TV viewership is already signaling a significant decline from just a 10 years ago.

Sure, things have always sucked in New Britain, but there is a dark could overhead in Storrs as well.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
But more background.

played for Ross at UNH, Character and accountability was always a big thing for him, glad to see it still is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm going to suggest CCSU fans that are CT residents are all UConn fans, or pretty darn close to "all"

The hard core Central fans HATE UConn. They hate UConn more than Syracuse fans.

It’s not that many people but their position is that they are funded so poorly because of UConn.

Reaction Score

It’s not that many people but their position is that they are funded so poorly because of UConn.
there are a lot of people that resent UConn for denying their application, too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Not the ones I know. They truly love Central and it really has gotten destroyed funding wise. For example when David Carter took over the CSU system had Eastern rolling in it. They hate him too.

I follow Central’s basketball program because I lived with a Central student across the street from 2000-2002. Those were the glory days there wasn’t much to do but go to the games.

Reaction Score
Not the ones I know. They truly love Central and it really has gotten destroyed funding wise. For example when David Carter took over the CSU system had Eastern rolling in it. They hate him too.

I follow Central’s basketball program because I lived with a Central student across the street from 2000-2002. Those were the glory days there wasn’t much to do but go to the games.
I'm younger so maybe it's probably still fresher in peoples mind. I know people that don't care at all or are UConn fans and I know others that actively root against UConn because of it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm younger so maybe it's probably still fresher in peoples mind. I know people that don't care at all or are UConn fans and I know others that actively root against UConn because of it.

Yeah these aren’t kids and the vast majority of Central students and alumni don’t care at all.

College kids today don’t care about sports like they did when I was in school. We didn’t even have email addresses until I was a junior. I probably would have watched Netflix instead of UCLA/Washington at midnight too.

Reaction Score
Yeah these aren’t kids and the vast majority of Central students and alumni don’t care at all.

College kids today don’t care about sports like they did when I was in school. We didn’t even have email addresses until I was a junior. I probably would have watched Netflix instead of UCLA/Washington at midnight too.
I didn't care about UConn football at all while I was there. I've gone to more games in the 4 years I've been out of school than I ever did when I went there.

Reaction Score
I bet that isn't as accurate as you might think anymore. By no means is the campus full of rabid CCSU fans, but I think they are more supportive of their own basketball and football programs than they were back in the 1980s and 1990s. The Howie years were great for the school and football is at least playing at a higher level (scholarship I-AA) against programs like UNH, JMU, etc. now.

Yes, the early days of UConn's rise to national prominence, the campus and the entire State was full of UConn support. I can remember driving to Storrs to watch #6 UConn take on a #4 Villanova at Gamble in the nationally televised game on CBS circa 1995. Sure, who isn't going to root for a winner and a national program? Starting with Chris Smith, through the NIT and the Tate George shot, and the National Championship, we were all UConn fans.

But I hate to break it to most of you though, those days likely long gone. Don't kid yourselves today they aren't in the dorms at CCSU with their TVs tuned into the UConn-Tulane basketball game or watching the huskies lose to B.C. in football. Most are probably into pro sports or non-sporting events to begin with. Then, not to mention many CCSU students and alums carry a lot of resentment about the amount of funding and resources provided by the State for anything with a 'UConn' label.

You guy already know this, but conference realignment and the AAC has and will kill UConn as a national brand. I have no illusions that CCSU will bridge the gap between the 2 schools, but I predict you guys are going to fall down closer to us than you would like to see. And let's be honest, football hasn't been in a major conference (Big East) long enough to have built a causal fan base. Attendance and TV viewership is already signaling a significant decline from just a 10 years ago.

Sure, things have always sucked in New Britain, but there is a dark could overhead in Storrs as well.
I am not sure if you can recall, but do you remember Louisville being part of C-USA and Memphis making it to the title game against Kansas not too long ago? You're way overexaggerating the effect the being a member of the AAC will have on the program. Ever hear of UConn women's basketball? They're much more popular than you think. And the AAC is way better than C-USA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The Connecticut State University system has way too much disparity amongst itself to push forward, compared to what can be (and was) developed with UConn. ECSU and WCSU are D3 schools. That's my assumption. If CCSU was THE Connecticut State University, I think things might have been different.

I still can't believe Fairfield County is devoid of an elite old school.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Connecticut State University system has way too much disparity amongst itself to push forward, compared to what can be (and was) developed with UConn. ECSU and WCSU are D3 schools. That's my assumption. If CCSU was THE Connecticut State University, I think things might have been different.

I still can't believe Fairfield County is devoid of an elite old school.

Maybe it can be like Wake Forest and they can get Dartmouth or Cornell to move down to FFC.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if you can recall, but do you remember Louisville being part of C-USA and Memphis making it to the title game against Kansas not too long ago? You're way overexaggerating the effect the being a member of the AAC will have on the program. Ever hear of UConn women's basketball? They're much more popular than you think. And the AAC is way better than C-USA.

Butch,
I’m not here to debate, but there are tons of UConn fans on this board here who have said similar things.

Can UConn legit compete for a MBB National Championship again? Sure, but the odds are a lot longer without Calhoun and the Big East.

No one is saying the programs at UConn won’t have some great seasons. But do you think the Huskies will be in the same group as UNC and Duke in basketball, or Virginia Tech or Miami in football? There is a PERCEPTION that UConn and the AAC is inferior and the squeeze on the budget from the lack of P5 revenue will take its toll.

It is happening now and many diehard UConn have said as much on this board, so please don’t get so defensive. You are on the outside looking in at major college athletics. Basketball can stay relevant like a Gonzaga when they have a good year, but this isn’t a P5 program and the budget and schedule are proof.

As for CCSU, I am well aware the problems are deep-rooted and the ceiling is #16 seeds and FCS playoffs. It is what it is.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes, I mean our last national championship was what.3 years ago. Ancient history.

In basketball.

In general, UConn's last national championship was like 3 days ago... ;)

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The auto-bid to the FCS playoff is new to the NEC as of 3 years ago (the champion used to play a bowl game with the winner of the Pioneer League), and it will help increase the league's profile. Eventually an NEC team will win a game in the FCS tournament, and eventually an NEC team will make a run. CCSU isn't UConn, obviously, but their small profile has some growth potential whereas UConn, at least for now, has plateaued at a pretty lofty height.

Reaction Score
The auto-bid to the FCS playoff is new to the NEC as of 3 years ago (the champion used to play a bowl game with the winner of the Pioneer League), and it will help increase the league's profile. Eventually an NEC team will win a game in the FCS tournament, and eventually an NEC team will make a run. CCSU isn't UConn, obviously, but their small profile has some growth potential whereas UConn, at least for now, has plateaued at a pretty lofty height.

I concur with your sentiments.

FYI - the NEC is in the 8th year with AQ status and every current member of the conference, except Bryant, has earned a playoff bid.

Wagner (UConn’s 2019 FCS opponent) won their First Round FCS playoff game in 2012 at home vs Colgate (Patriot League AQ) and then lost to #4 Eastern Washington (Big Sky) in the Second Round.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've had a couple of family members go to Central, and I've always rooted for their teams to do well. And my family members have always rooted for UConn to do well.

That was especially true in basketball once Howie Dickenman took over there. It felt kind of like UConn was part of Central and vice versa. (And now, Donyell)

In terms of funding disparity...meh. I guess they can be mad at UConn, but then Western can be mad at them, and then MCC can be mad at Western. Every state has to have a flagship, in my opinion. Even though Central is older, the flagship just ended up being us...

Reaction Score
For the most part, I don’t think CCSU fans/alums have an issue with UConn’s flagship status. The frustration is the State’s lack of investment in developing second-teir status, especially when you look what other States invest in higher ed.

Nationally there is greater support for schools outside of the State flagship.

Think about States with similar populations:

Oregon - Oregon and Oregon State
Utah - Utah and Utah State
Iowa - Iowa and Iowa State
Oklahaoma - Oklahoma and OSU
Nevada - Nevada and UNLV

Closer to home, even Towson is twice as big as CCSU and it is just down the street from Univ. of Maryland at College Park.

Reaction Score
For the most part, I don’t think CCSU fans/alums have an issue with UConn’s flagship status. The frustration is the State’s lack of investment in developing second-teir status, especially when you look what other States invest in higher ed.

Nationally there is greater support for schools outside of the State flagship.

Think about States with similar populations:

Oregon - Oregon and Oregon State
Utah - Utah and Utah State
Iowa - Iowa and Iowa State
Oklahaoma - Oklahoma and OSU
Nevada - Nevada and UNLV

Closer to home, even Towson is twice as big as CCSU and it is just down the street from Univ. of Maryland at College Park.
lol it isn't comparable, though. CCSU is a joke of a school academically. It's a lot harder to get into ISU, OSU, etc. than it is to get into CCSU. If my only option was CCSU I would have forgone college

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Well, they should have studied harder in high school.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
lol it isn't comparable, though. CCSU is a joke of a school academically. It's a lot harder to get into ISU, OSU, etc. than it is to get into CCSU. If my only option was CCSU I would have forgone college
Now you’re just being a d$&k. I got my masters degree from Central and it a very good school. Is it on the same par as schools like the CCSU poster tried to compare it to? No. However, to say you’d just not go to college if CCSU was your only choice is stupid. It has some solid programs and is a good school. If my kids wanted to go there I’d be just as proud of them as I would if they went to UConn or a more name brand school.

I get the anger from CCSU folks in terms of funding. That school has grown a lot and could be greater if the funding was there. However, in this state, that funding won’t be there for awhile until our lovely government officials figure out how to fix this state.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If you are going to be a teacher it can make more sense to go to Central or Eastern - you get paid the same as the UConn or private school grads.

I’ve hired a ton of grads from every school around here. Central has provided some really good ones. Best employee I’ve ever had went to Central after transferring from SHU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom