OT: Car scratch repair cost | The Boneyard

OT: Car scratch repair cost

Reaction Score
I have a leased Honda that I have to return. It has about a foot long scratch on the front left quarter panel.

Any idea what I should expect to pay for this repair? Thanks

Reaction Score
it depends how bad it is. $500-$1500 for good work.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have a leased Honda that I have to return. It has about a foot long scratch on the front left quarter panel.

What's it look like? How deep? Is it all the way through the undercoat (ie to the metal)? How wide (or thick) is it?

A lot of scratch repairs can be done yourself with very little skill. And look good as new. For under $50.

But if it's deep and wide, might as well get a pro.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good news for me I think, the scratch is neither deep nor wide.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Fender Blender in Largo FL, $125. I got them from my Mercedes dealer when I was turning in a lease that was in a fender bender that was not my wife's fault. The Mercedes dealer gave me a $750 estimate for insurance. When I told my salesman he said try Fender Blender its who we send all our leases to be fixed up before we sell them as pre-owned. I got the fender cleaned up and pocketed $625. I have since taken 3 leases to them before turning them in. The Lexus guy inspecting our lease on turn in said wow who did the repair on this fender - great job!

Reaction Score
Scratch

upload_2017-9-16_23-51-9.png

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Hmm. That's a pretty good one actually. If it was your own car, you could probably make it look pretty good (not really noticeable). You didn't go through the undercoat which is a bonus.

But if that's going to be inspected meticulously by a lessor, you'll probably have to get it done. Essentially, the shop will fill that, and then paint the entire door.

One cheap thing you could try, is to see how much you could make it dissapear with Meguiars Rubbing Compound. 12 bucks. Only things you need are soap/sponge, and a microfiber towel. Probably won't work, but it's simple and cheap, and gives you an outside shot to save hundreds.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Get one of those $20 scratch pens the day you turn it in. Wash the car first.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...ir+kit&ie=UTF8&qid=1505709195&rnid=2661617011

Use the pen. They work well. If you are getting a new lease with the same company, they won't sweat it, either way.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

From personal experience, the leasing company seems to ignore the scratches I've had when getting another lease with them. This time I have a little dent (size of credit card) in the bumper and will probably exceed the mileage allowance. I don't plan to fix it as I will get a new lease with them ... but let's see if they neglect this again...

Reaction Score
I just started parking daily in the Convention Center and my car is black. I'm going to bookmark that amazon link for a scratch pen, because that place is a time bomb.

As of last week, I also share a zone with UConn Hartford students, who I'm sure will all be super careful parking their parents' old cars.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom