OT: Calipari | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Calipari

Reaction Score
You have either been living under a rock or are somehow related to the Calipari family. This has been his schtick for 10 years now. It is as transparent as Saran Wrap.
I don't like Calipari. But you must not listen to his post-game stuff. The guy is vocally all about his players regardless. Is it sincere? Probably not. You can go back and watch all his post-games after we beat him: credit to the other team, mistakes he made, etc. After wins, picks things kids did well. The first minute or so is just him here after Tennessee: post-game.

So, yeah, I think he's annoying and a phony. But he doesn't do pretty much any of the things you suggest. People who meet him, by and large, like him. And he gets results: that's why we hate him, and that's why we should hate him.

Reaction Score
If you look at the players on Kentucky this year, UConn was looking at recruiting how many of them? 2 or 3? Watching Kentucky play this year, they play position-less, all long and athletic...I'd venture to guess this was the type of team KO envisioned having, without all the "sliminess" squid brings.

Go Buffalo

Reaction Score
But everyone loses with teams that are the best in a single elimination tournament. JC in 1994 with Donyell Marshall, for instance, or our 1996 or 2006 team. Wacky things happen in the NCAAs.

No doubt. Still hard to not consider those results disappointing when Wall/Boogie/Towns/Booker are gonna end up with 30+ combined AS selections, and he had 2 of those guys apiece on teams that didn't win.

Reaction Score
No doubt. Still hard to not consider those results disappointing when Wall/Boogie/Towns/Booker are gonna end up with 30+ combined AS selections, and he had 2 of those guys apiece on teams that didn't win.
Of course. But it is also true that the are all freshmen. Fab Five got to the title game and made freshmen mistakes. So did all of those teams.

He gets a lot of talent. Not entirely the pick of the litter, as the other major blue bloods get whoever they want as well, but enough.

Do I want to do things like UK? No. I want one or two 5* freshmen with upperclassmen that stick around. That's what I've always liked pulling for. UK feels too mercenary for me. Would I want Calipari as my coach? No.

But that doesn't mean we have to pretend his teams haven't been successful. As @UCDaveD said, I'd make some sort of Faustian bargain to have a similar 8+ year run.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
But everyone loses with teams that are the best in a single elimination tournament. JC in 1994 with Donyell Marshall, for instance, or our 1996 or 2006 team. Wacky things happen in the NCAAs.

I've never liked nor agreed with a tournament where every team is seeded. I've run hundreds of tournaments, with the most trouble free being when no more than 25% (16 seeds in a 64 draw) are seeded, with a random draw for the remaining.

I'd expand the field by 16, seed 16, and do a random draw. Sure there will be upsets, but that's why many people watch the early rounds.

Reaction Score
Of course. But it is also true that the are all freshmen. Fab Five got to the title game and made freshmen mistakes. So did all of those teams.

He gets a lot of talent. Not entirely the pick of the litter, as the other major blue bloods get whoever they want as well, but enough.

Do I want to do things like UK? No. I want one or two 5* freshmen with upperclassmen that stick around. That's what I've always liked pulling for. UK feels too mercenary for me. Would I want Calipari as my coach? No.

But that doesn't mean we have to pretend his teams haven't been successful. As @UCDaveD said, I'd make some sort of Faustian bargain to have a similar 8+ year run.

Never said his teams haven't been successful. I said the results are still slightly disappointing in a relative sense because of just how loaded a few of his teams have been.

Reaction Score
"Calipari's been whining about no experience — young, young, young," Oats said in Boise Friday. "Well, we don’t have that problem. We got some veterans guys."

"I don't know if it's whining or telling the truth," Calipari said. "I'm not whining about it. I've got a pretty good team."

Buffalo's Nate Oats: Crybaby Cal 'whining' about inexperience

Funny to see another coach mock Calipari. Let's go Bulls!

Reaction Score
"Calipari's been whining about no experience — young, young, young," Oats said in Boise Friday. "Well, we don’t have that problem. We got some veterans guys."

"I don't know if it's whining or telling the truth," Calipari said. "I'm not whining about it. I've got a pretty good team."

Ok. I am down with this guy being our new coach if it comes to pass.

Reaction Score
I don't get this. His tournament results are legit.

8 Full seasons (might add to it this year, so who knows)

6 E8s
4 Final Fours
1 Title.

You'd probably like another title out of that, but he has as many Final Fours out of Kentucky in 9 years as Calhoun had at UConn in his career. But 75% of his seasons, he's finished as one of the best 8 teams. 50% he's finished as one of the best 4. Give me that.
We just have to hate on him. Statistics and evidence to the contrary be damned!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Another point for Oats!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom