OT: Cable options | The Boneyard

OT: Cable options

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
So, SeoulHuskyFan will become BatonRougeHuskyFan in October. It seems that the Direct TV Premier package is my best option to pull down SNY (and NESN) for access to Husky sports. Is this right? Do any of you have any alternative suggestions? I'm leaning that way anyway for their Korean-language package, just want to make sure that they'll give me my Huskies and Red Sox.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So, SeoulHuskyFan will become BatonRougeHuskyFan in October. It seems that the Direct TV Premier package is my best option to pull down SNY (and NESN) for access to Husky sports. Is this right? Do any of you have any alternative suggestions? I'm leaning that way anyway for their Korean-language package, just want to make sure that they'll give me my Huskies and Red Sox.

NESN won't show the Red Sox's out of the market unless you have the baseball package. SNY will carry UConn women but CBS Sports and ESPN's will carry the men. I have Ultimate and have it all sports wise minus the pay channels like HBO and Showtime.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
ESPN3 for SNY stuff out of market (like Baton Rouge) (Free, so that works)...

MLB Extra innings / MLB TV for Sawx.

Reaction Score
As a previous Baton Rouge resident, I feel bad for you. Used to live @ The District apartments with AT&T - used xbox live to catch UConn. Some AAC content was blacked out in Louisiana but don't worry you get like 8 SEC channels. Went to a sports bar underneath the highway (you will go eventually) and asked for a UConn game to be put on and they refused.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
As a previous Baton Rouge resident, I feel bad for you. Used to live @ The District apartments with AT&T - used xbox live to catch UConn. Some AAC content was blacked out in Louisiana but don't worry you get like 8 SEC channels. Went to a sports bar underneath the highway (you will go eventually) and asked for a UConn game to be put on and they refused.
Right... I'm retiring there to be close to the grand kids. A dyed in the wool Ct Yankee. I've already done the spectacle of an LSU game, at least I'm thinking I'm in easy reach of a lot of UConn road games.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have the dish network "supercool wow look at these regional sports channels" package and I don't get sny or csn. Thank god I at least get nesn

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I have the dish network "supercool wow look at these regional sports channels" package and I don't get sny or csn. Thank god I at least get nesn

Dish has famously dropped sports networks, once they try to squeeze more money from them. SNY and YES are the 2 biggest examples. I'm actually shocked that NESN has lasted this long.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Dish has famously dropped sports networks, once they try to squeeze more money from them. SNY and YES are the 2 biggest examples. I'm actually shocked that NESN has lasted this long.

Reaction Score
I have dropped regular cable. I have used sling TV and Direct TV Now instead. Both are much cheaper with a lot less channels. You won't get live broadcasts unless they're on ESPN or ESPN 2, but it has met my needs pretty well so far. I suggest at the very least taking a look. As long as you have an internet connection you can stream many shows.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have dropped regular cable. I have used sling TV and Direct TV Now instead. Both are much cheaper with a lot less channels. You won't get live broadcasts unless they're on ESPN or ESPN 2, but it has met my needs pretty well so far. I suggest at the very least taking a look. As long as you have an internet connection you can stream many shows.
I'm ready to cut the cord but what's keeping me from doing is streaming live sports. How is Sling for sports? Is the picture watchable?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

What dicks. Were they still pissed because we'd beaten them recently in basketball?

Reaction Score
Just a one track mind of LSU or nothing. My wife and I were UConn geared out. It's like they could not comprehend what I was asking. I lived in Raleigh NC and Duke/UNC/NC State fans never had issues with the request. Louisiana for you.

It's a violation of sports bar unwritten rules.

Last edited:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Just a one track mind of LSU or nothing. My wife and I were UConn geared out. It's like they could not comprehend what I was asking. I lived in Raleigh NC and Duke/UNC/NC State fans never had issues with the request. Louisiana for you.

It's a violation of sports bar unwritten rules.

Wow, I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. If they only had two screens I could see it, but instead you're gonna turn away paying customers who are prepared to spend a couple of hours in your establishment eating and drinking?

Conversely, many years ago a fellow UConn alum friend of mine and I frequented a bar in TX where they had the old large satellite dish. We would show up there for every UConn televised game and one of the owners normally had to spend anywhere from 15-30 minutes tuning it in for us. Those old dishes had to be directed at the transponder your channel was on, and it wasn't an exact science. Sometimes the reception was a little snowy, but they always did it for us. I suppose it helped somewhat that the owners were both from Brooklyn and liked UConn, but they went out of their way to accommodate two customers.

Reaction Score
The irony was that every surface was a tv screen in this place also with a huge 20 x 20 projection on the wall for the LSU faithful. This one of the many reasons why I will always bash B.R. given the opportunity. Different culture, hence why we left.

Usually the deal is - you get your tv and you deal with the playful razzing and teasing from the locals and laugh and shake hands in the end.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
The irony was that every surface was a tv screen in this place also with a huge 20 x 20 projection on the wall for the LSU faithful. This one of the many reasons why I will always bash B.R. given the opportunity. Different culture, hence why we left.

Usually the deal is - you get your tv and you deal with the playful razzing and teasing from the locals and laugh and shake hands in the end.

When we played USC in the bowl game in Birmingham several years ago, my cousin and I ate lunch at a BBQ restaurant that had TVs. There was a huge contingent of Auburn fans watching their bowl game on TV, while another huge contingent of Alabama fans spent the entire three hour broadcast taunting the Auburn fans. With no dog in that particular fight, it was hilarious to just sit there, watching and listening to the crossfire. I think the Auburn game went into OT as well, which added to the mayhem. You found yourself wanting to stay until the game ended to see what the collective reaction was going to be. At some point it looked like they were going to take it outside and a mini riot was going to break out in the parking lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom