OT: Buying a diamond ring for the lady | The Boneyard

OT: Buying a diamond ring for the lady

Reaction Score
OK my wife and I have been together 40 years in August. Her b'day is next month and I think I will finally surprise her (i.e. shut her up) and get her another diamond ring. She claims she deserves a better one putting up with me and my cheap arse.

Anyway the last time I went jewelry shopping was in Chinatown and Diamond District NYC. I don't have the fortitude to go all the way down there for this thing.

My concern is how do you make sure the diamond you buy is the one they will put on that ring? I've heard many 'switching' stories. Where is a good place to go buy one (mall, strip mall, jewelry store, etc..)?

I am willing to spend a couple of thousand for some peace of mind, I expect forever peace but we know that ain't happening.

Where did you guys go ring shopping? Should I bring her along and let her choose the one she wants?

Reaction Score
go to the diamond district, but get a list of stores from people you know who have trusted vendors. I bought my engagement rock there and there were def people trying to screw me.

Take her with you to NYC but just for a dinner or whatever. Go to the diamond district and then tell her your plans. Ask yourself the question, does the initial moment of surprise outweigh whether or not she will have something that she absolutely loves? It's too much cake to throw down on something she may not like. Chicks love a good diamond ring search. She'll enjoy that.

Reaction Score
Save your money and spend it on a love potion instead.

Or a boat. I spent my boat money on my wife's engagement ring.........long time ago. I made sure she knew it. This year she suggested we buy a boat big enough to sleep on...

Reaction Score
Just bought a ring literally a month ago. Can’t recommend James Allen highly enough.

Reaction Score
Freedman Jewelers in the Boston Diamond district is great. Price, quality and service are excellent. Been a best kept secret in Boston for years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Get a certified diamond that has the number laser engraved into the stone. You can take the certificate and stone to an independent jeweler to confirm.

And do an online search for the quality you can expect in your price range. Focus on which of the 4C's are most important as you will likley have to compromise a little on at least one of them. Back in the day when I put a third of my meager net worth on the missus, I decided that cut was king. Chicks dig stones that sparkle and a quality cut is what you need for that. There it an optimum range for proportion and angles. Too tall/short, too narrow/wide will cause the light to not reflect properly.

I recommend you set your filter there on many of the online loose stone wholesalers. Then decide on color, clarity, and caratweight to preference. You will also see a price difference for graded stones. GIA is king, AGS is next, others are less stringent or may be in-house "Corinthian leather" marketing schemes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Surprising her versus taking her really depends on who your wife is. I took my wife along for the diamond but surprised her when I bought other jewelry.

If you don't take her along you need to know the diamond shape she prefers. Only you know what floats her boat such as size ;), status (does she care about the diamond quality when she waves the ring around hoping her friends ask about it), color and facets for sparkle.

At the price point you're going for it's doubtful many jewelry stores will do a bait and switch. Furthermore you'll probably get it appraised and put on your insurance policy. Go to a different place for the appraisal and that will indicate whether or not you were cheated.

Reaction Score
Blue Nile and Costco (seriously) are the best on price. Take her to tiffany's/fancy jeweler and let her pick out the style. Take a picture and try to match it on Blue Nile, and save 50-75% on the price. Diamonds are such a racket.

If she cares about that kind of thing, lie if you have to, buy an empty Tiffany's box on ebay, save yourself the money!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure that they weren’t the lowest price but Long's Jewelers (locations around Boston/Mass) listened to what I was looking for, worked closely with me, and I think I did pretty well for my budget. I appreciated them guiding me through everything.

Reaction Score
go to the diamond district, but get a list of stores from people you know who have trusted vendors. I bought my engagement rock there and there were def people trying to screw me.

Take her with you to NYC but just for a dinner or whatever. Go to the diamond district and then tell her your plans. Ask yourself the question, does the initial moment of surprise outweigh whether or not she will have something that she absolutely loves? It's too much cake to throw down on something she may not like. Chicks love a good diamond ring search. She'll enjoy that.

Yup. Go in strong and do some research. Play the shops against themselves...I got a 10k ring for 4k. It was also during xmas and snow for the 3rd weekend in a row and they needed to sell

Reaction Score
This is a reputable site for price gauging: Search for Diamonds by Shape, Size, Quality & Price | Blue Nile

I just bought my fiancee an engagement ring. I was in a rush to pick it up before a vacation where I was to propose. The proposal went great, but of course the rock was not big enough. We were able to go back and upgrade for a minimal fee. So I had a placeholder for the surprise, and in the end she picked out what she wanted. I went to Bostonian in Boston. A friend of mine recommended them and they had good yelp reviews. I was happy. Boston might be less daunting than NYC.

Reaction Score
This is a reputable site for price gauging: Search for Diamonds by Shape, Size, Quality & Price | Blue Nile

I just bought my fiancee an engagement ring. I was in a rush to pick it up before a vacation where I was to propose. The proposal went great, but of course the rock was not big enough. We were able to go back and upgrade for a minimal fee. So I had a placeholder for the surprise, and in the end she picked out what she wanted. I went to Bostonian in Boston. A friend of mine recommended them and they had good yelp reviews. I was happy. Boston might be less daunting than NYC.

Rock wasn't big enough? Oh boy.

Here is some advice to save you grief down the road.

Just find a girl you hate and buy her a house.

Reaction Score
Never buy diamonds from a retailer, the mark up is incredible

Have a couple of personal diamond dealers but they’re in NYC. Hard to purchase wholesale without a personal connection to that market

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom