OT (but maybe not) - WVU/Baylor End of Game Country Roads | The Boneyard

OT (but maybe not) - WVU/Baylor End of Game Country Roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Either there must be no traffic in WVA, nothing else to do in WVA on a Saturday afternoon) or the folks are just stunned to what they just witnessed. (Guess it could be all 3) Note - this is after the game ended.

This is what we aspire to be...

Flame away (about product on the field, tradition, yada, yada, yada) - but it is what it is.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Either there must be no traffic in WVA, nothing else to do in WVA on a Saturday afternoon) or the folks are just stunned to what they just witnessed. (Guess it could be all 3) Note - this is after the game ended.

This is what we aspire to be...

Flame away (about product on the field, tradition, yada, yada, yada) - but it is what it is.

It was one of the most exciting college football games of the last decade. Not surprising the stands would still be packed. If it had been a blowout there would have been a ton of people already on the expressway heading home. Not saying its not cool, it is, there just isn't usually that many fans there singing after a game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's the one team that I truly regret losing from the Big East. To be honest, screw SyraPitt. TCU, we hardly knew thee. But this was "big brother" for the Big East. If WVU is still in the Big East, I'm not sure we are locked out of the big bowl picture for the new playoff system (I could be wrong about that, but that's what my gut tells me). What a shame...

Reaction Score
In 10 years, it will be interesting to re-examine the Big 12/WVU relationship. My bet is that neither side will be happy. WVU did what they thought was right AT THE TIME, and I agree with what they did.

I don't think WVU is as good as they are ranked this year as their defense is suspect. They beat probably the 7th best B12 school by 1 TD in a shootout at home. They are about to enter their full conference schedule and start experiencing the travel of being in the B12. They still could have 3 or 4 losses this season.

Reaction Score
Geno looks like he cant wait to get his headphones on and listen to the rest of John Denver's Greatest Hits!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Great fanbase when things are going their way. The U was also excited to enter and dominate the ACC.

If the drunk coach is truly a genius, WV won't be able to spend enough to keep him.

Reaction Score
I am happy for that program. The busted their ass and did more than anyone to make the Big East work. They deserved a soft landing more than most.

Reaction Score
It was one of the most exciting college football games of the last decade. Not surprising the stands would still be packed. If it had been a blowout there would have been a ton of people already on the expressway heading home. Not saying its not cool, it is, there just isn't usually that many fans there singing after a game.

CAHUSKY - Sorry to say ... you are wrong. I was at the 2007 game where UCONN got blown out 66-21. I remember being pretty surprised that 99% of the stands were still packed for Country Roads. I was so moved by the whole thing that I even started to sing along ... and I wasn't the only one amongst the UCONN faithful. This fanbase has a long way to go.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know a handful of WVU season ticket holders (and I've had a few of them as my guest when WVU visited the Rent over the past eight years) and each has told me that a true WVU doesn't leave his seat until after they sing Country Roads after the game has ended.

There may be plenty of things to criticize them about but being loyal fans (who are willing to invest the entire few hours required into watching the game) is not one of them.

Reaction Score
That's funny that any UConn fan is critical or wants to point out that this is an exception. We can't get people into the stadium on time or keep them in their seats even when the team is winning.

Reaction Score
CAHUSKY - Sorry to say ... you are wrong. I was at the 2007 game where UCONN got blown out 66-21. I remember being pretty surprised that 99% of the stands were still packed for Country Roads. I was so moved by the whole thing that I even started to sing along ... and I wasn't the only one amongst the UCONN faithful. This fanbase has a long way to go.
100% true.
I went to the game last year and the place was still pretty much full and like mentioned above I felt compelled to sing along. Great tradition they have there. I also like how the fans are wearing gold and blue in alternating sections. I am pretty sure those tee-shirts had to be put on the seats prior to the game for that to work. "Blue-out" problem solved.
I still want to see more fans stick around for the fight song, which is played win or lose.

Reaction Score
100% true.
I went to the game last year and the place was still pretty much full and like mentioned above I felt compelled to sing along. Great tradition they have there. I also like how the fans are wearing gold and blue in alternating sections. I am pretty sure those tee-shirts had to be put on the seats prior to the game for that to work. "Blue-out" problem solved.
I still want to see more fans stick around for the fight song, which is played win or lose.

Then people could say that they blue themselves 6 times every fall (sorry could not resist).

images

Reaction Score
100% true.
. I also like how the fans are wearing gold and blue in alternating sections. I am pretty sure those tee-shirts had to be put on the seats prior to the game for that to work.

This was all on the fans, no tee shirts were passed out. They also did a 360 photo so you could tag yourself in the crowd. You can zoom in on people in the crowd and see they are not all wearing the same shirt.

http://www.wvusports.com/gigapixel/index.html

From the game at the Rent in 2008

Reaction Score
Love me my John Denver...Always thought there was hope that some day our fans would reach this point, but being left out of the conference shuffle & the on-field product the last two years has me seriously doubting that.

Reaction Score
Even more impressive! Any idea how they got word out to coordinate this? I am too lazy to google search this.

US Mail, Emails, Facebook, Newspapers, Twitter & all the message boards. There were maps of the stadium sent out/emailed out with the sections and they were color coded. It was heavily comminicated by the school and various WVU sites.

Reaction Score
US Mail, Emails, Facebook, Newspapers, Twitter & all the message boards. There were maps of the stadium sent out/emailed out with the sections and they were color coded. It was heavily comminicated by the school and various WVU sites.

My Father (WVU Alum) is a season ticket holder for both the Mountaineers and UConn. He and my little sister were at the game this past weekend...not sure why they would ever choose WVU/Baylor over UConn/Buffalo...but anyway they haven't stopped talking about this game since their return to CT.

The ENTIRE stadium was on their feet for almost the entire game. And while yes it is tradition to stay until the end of Country Roads...Saturday was different. More people than ever stuck around to sing along....place was packed for up to 20 minutes after the game.

And I confirm that a map of the stadium listing section number and color of shirt was mailed to every season ticket holder, blasted on Facebook, Twitter, Email, local papers and message boards....and it was a complete success!

My dad flies to Austin Thursday for when WVU plays Texas this weekend....not sure how he is going to feel about returning to the Rent on 10/13 after the Morgantown experience followed by a trip to UT....but after a UConn win at Rutgers it will be great welcoming the team home vs Temple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom