OT: Bugs | The Boneyard

OT: Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I have a lower yard out in the back of my property behind my detached garage that my wife and I have had eyes on tackling for awhile. The grass was a mess, there were a ton of rocks and it wasn't fenced in when we moved in. We put up a fence last year, and this year I tilled and re-seeded the yard. There are still some weeds, but it looks much better (and I should be able to tackle the rest with some weed and feed this fall/next spring).

The only problem now is the bugs. Whenever we go down there to let the dogs run around, I get attacked by mosquitoes and these tiny gnats that just swirl around my head and follow me wherever I go. Bug spray is all well and good, but has never done much for me. Those citronella torches are OK, but is that the best method for keeping the bugs away? There has to be something better that we can do.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
DDT.

Slip the guy at your local garden center a 20 under the counter and ask for " the good stuff in the backroom"

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have a lower yard out in the back of my property behind my detached garage that my wife and I have had eyes on tackling for awhile. The grass was a mess, there were a ton of rocks and it wasn't fenced in when we moved in. We put up a fence last year, and this year I tilled and re-seeded the yard. There are still some weeds, but it looks much better (and I should be able to tackle the rest with some weed and feed this fall/next spring).

The only problem now is the bugs. Whenever we go down there to let the dogs run around, I get attacked by mosquitoes and these tiny gnats that just swirl around my head and follow me wherever I go. Bug spray is all well and good, but has never done much for me. Those citronella torches are OK, but is that the best method for keeping the bugs away? There has to be something better that we can do.

Even though you'll probably be able to mitigate, you gotta recognize you're going to be fighting a losing battle.

Given that the yard is on a lower slope, all the rain water filters down there and creates the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.

If you have stagnant water after rains, you need to work on your drainage to ensure it doesn't occur.

Another help might be to plant a bunch of Citronella plants, instead (or in addition to) of candles.

You can also treat the yard with 'safe' chemicals. Do it yourself from home depot materials, or hire the Mosquito Squad, which will do your lawn all summer long for like $400.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Try a hook with a bug zapper as your first assault before going chemical warfare, which is annual. I live in a swampy neighborhood and have the skeeter onslaught when in the very front yard. Then 20 feet closer to the house they disengage. It's weird.

Try the bug zapper.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Cedar oil is supposed to be a decent option. Never tried it myself though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Even though you'll probably be able to mitigate, you gotta recognize you're going to be fighting a losing battle.

Given that the yard is on a lower slope, all the rain water filters down there and creates the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.

If you have stagnant water after rains, you need to work on your drainage to ensure it doesn't occur.

Another help might be to plant a bunch of Citronella plants, instead (or in addition to) of candles.

You can also treat the yard with 'safe' chemicals. Do it yourself from home depot materials, or hire the Mosquito Squad, which will do your lawn all summer long for like $400.

Cutter makes a "backyard" bug spray product that you attach to your hose. Lowes and HD have it. It's broad spectrum pesticide and kills things you may not want to, but it works. Lasts about 6 weeks, and cuts mosquitoes dramatically. It also kills ticks, which is one reason I use it. It even seemed to take out the gypsy moth caterpillars.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Cutter makes a "backyard" bug spray product that you attach to your hose. Lowes and HD have it. It's broad spectrum pesticide and kills things you may not want to, but it works. Lasts about 6 weeks, and cuts mosquitoes dramatically. It also kills ticks, which is one reason I use it. It even seemed to take out the gypsy moth caterpillars.
This. I just did this today for the second time and it works great. I also burn about four cutter candles and I bought the medium size bug zapper from Home Depot.
I haven't had any bug issues yet with this summer with this combo.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Number of times it was a pesticide, in either direction: zero

You wouldn't believe what a mainline of DDT will do for your perspective on life. Hell the contact high is something to behold.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Any wetlands nearby? If so, get some dunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom