OT: Bruno Sammartino has died aged 82 | The Boneyard

OT: Bruno Sammartino has died aged 82

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Bruno Sammartino has died aged 82 his death is said to be due to deteriorating health issues. Old school guy who separated from WWE because of its change in direction emphasizing sex, foul language, etc.

Bruno Leopoldo Francesco Sammartino (October 6, 1935 – April 18, 2018) was an Italian professional wrestler, best known for his work with the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF, later World Wrestling Federation, WWF), now known as WWE. There, he held the WWWF World Heavyweight Championship (WWWF Heavyweight Championship during his second reign) for more than 11 years (4,040 days) across two reigns, the first of which is the longest single reign in the promotion's history at 2,803 days. Dubbed "The Living Legend" during his lifetime, Sammartino was widely regarded as one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time.
Sammartino's wrestling style was less mat-oriented than was typical of wrestlers from his era. His brawling, power moves and personal charisma helped him become the most popular American wrestler in the 1960s and 1970s having great matces against the likes of Gorilla Monsoon, SGT Slaughter, Ivan Koloff, Ken Patera, Superstar Billy Graham,Stan Hansen, George The Animal Steele, Spiros Arion and many many more.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Bruno Sammartino has died aged 82 his death is said to be due to deteriorating health issues. Old school guy who separated from WWE because of its change in direction emphasizing sex, foul language, etc.

Bruno Leopoldo Francesco Sammartino (October 6, 1935 – April 18, 2018) was an Italian professional wrestler, best known for his work with the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF, later World Wrestling Federation, WWF), now known as WWE. There, he held the WWWF World Heavyweight Championship (WWWF Heavyweight Championship during his second reign) for more than 11 years (4,040 days) across two reigns, the first of which is the longest single reign in the promotion's history at 2,803 days. Dubbed "The Living Legend" during his lifetime, Sammartino was widely regarded as one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time.
Sammartino's wrestling style was less mat-oriented than was typical of wrestlers from his era. His brawling, power moves and personal charisma helped him become the most popular American wrestler in the 1960s and 1970s having great matces against the likes of Gorilla Monsoon, SGT Slaughter, Ivan Koloff, Ken Patera, Superstar Billy Graham,Stan Hansen, George The Animal Steele, Spiros Arion and many many more.
I believe, for a while, Sammartino was the answer to a very good trivia question: Which individual headlined the most Madison Square Garden sellouts? I don't know if that's still true.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I believe, for a while, Sammartino was the answer to a very good trivia question: Which individual headlined the most Madison Square Garden sellouts? I don't know if that's still true.

He did hold the record at 187 sellouts of the MSG. However, the New York Knicks own the record but I don't know how many. I do know the Knicks 269 consecutive sellouts in regular season and playoffs came to an end March, 2017.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He was one of the few early wrestling celebrities who looked the part of the ripped athlete. Held the WWF title longer than anyone else I believe - 9 years.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
He did hold the record at 187 sellouts of the MSG. However, the New York Knicks own the record but I don't know how many. I do know the Knicks 269 consecutive sellouts in regular season and playoffs came to an end March, 2017.
Maybe Bruno still holds the record for an individual?

Reaction Score
One of my childhood heros. My barber, Alfredo, was a friend of him. He had a huge poster of him on the wall. Kinda sad, but he lived a long life.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Back in ancient times, when professional wrestling was characterized largely by regional champions, Bruno was the champion and a huge favorite of Italian-Americans in the greater NY market.

I remember sitting in my living room on Saturday nights with my grandfather, watching Bruno on tv from the old Garden prevailing over yet another wrestling villain.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Back in ancient times, when professional wrestling was characterized largely by regional champions, Bruno was the champion and a huge favorite of Italian-Americans in the greater NY market.

I remember sitting in my living room on Saturday nights with my grandfather, watching Bruno on tv from the old Garden prevailing over yet another wrestling villain.
Because he was such a big favorite of the Italian Americans in the NYC area 60's TV announcer Ray Morgan, would always ask Bruno to say a few words in Italian to his fans. I never learned Italian but knew when he said Madison Square Garden or Teaneck Armory.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting tidbit. Bruno Mars father nicknamed him "Bruno" after Mr. Sammartino. So his name will keep living for quite some time.

crop_exact_EEE2E72B-E930-4328-8FB2-6DED6D48705F_w1023_r1_s.jpg

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
There is an old story that circulates about Bruno in the twilight of his career. I don't know if it's true or not, but supposedly, after a match Bruno and the Iron Sheik were in the locker room and 4 or 5 pro football players approached Bruno and started to insult, disrespect him. It turned physical and Bruno with the assistance of the Sheik kicked ass and tossed them out.

Maybe it's just a legend, but he was a legendary guy. Sad for the passing of a childhood hero. :(

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I met Bruno back in the early seventies when I picked up an assignment as a stringer for the New York Daily News to write a quick summary and phone in the results of a wrestling promotion at the Nassau County Coliseum. I remember hitching a ride to the arena with Jack E. Lee, who some of you may recall was the track announcer and morning line maker at Roosevelt Raceway. Jack also made the ring introductions that night.

Riding to the event, Jack asked if I could think of anything he could say to spice up the introductions. On the card that evening was a wrestler called The Wolfman who looked, well, like a wolfman. He was led into the ring on a chain held by his "manager" Freddie ("You pencil-necked geek") Blassie. I thought we could add to The Wolfman's shtick as being dangerously unpredictable if Jack would say, "The management of Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum assumes no responsibility or liability for injuries inflicted by The Wolfman." Jack said it, Blassie released The Wolfman from his chain, and the usual mayhem ensued.

Also on the card was "Captain" Lou Albano, who would gain fame as Cyndi Lauper's father in the musical video "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun." Albano was billed as coming from New York City but I suggested he be introduced as coming from the more menacingly sounding Hell's Kitchen. Albano refused.

Bruno fought Spiros Arian that evening. I sat in the front row and could hear the wrestlers talking to one another: "Hit me." "Duck." "Move left." At one point Bruno "hit" Arians so hard I though Bruno's foot would go through the canvas. (They had a microphone under the ring to amplify the sounds).

There were two dressing rooms, one for the heroes and one for the heels. I had my photo taken with Cowboy Bob Duncum. I was wearing a leisure suit (Hey, it was the seventies) so, no, you're never going to see that photo.

A short time later, I was assigned to the thoroughbred racing beat and began chronicling the exploits of Secretariat. Talk about going from the ridiculous to the sublime!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There is an old story that circulates about Bruno in the twilight of his career. I don't know if it's true or not, but supposedly, after a match Bruno and the Iron Sheik were in the locker room and 4 or 5 pro football players approached Bruno and started to insult, disrespect him. It turned physical and Bruno with the assistance of the Sheik kicked ass and tossed them out.

Maybe it's just a legend, but he was a legendary guy. Sad for the passing of a childhood hero. :(

There was a Sports Illustrated story on Andre the Giant, maybe early 80's. Andre really liked to go out drinking, and evidently most nights, some seriously compromised guy in the bar would pick a fight with him. IIRC, the writer of the article was absolutely incredulous when it happened one night when he was on the story. The aggressor wound up being thrown into a wall ten feet or so away.

People don't realize that, even if the fights weren't real, the athletes were. There's a great 30 for 30 on Ric Flair. He talked some about training with Verne Gagne. That was jaw-dropping.

Reaction Score
There was a Sports Illustrated story on Andre the Giant, maybe early 80's. Andre really liked to go out drinking, and evidently most nights, some seriously compromised guy in the bar would pick a fight with him. IIRC, the writer of the article was absolutely incredulous when it happened one night when he was on the story. The aggressor wound up being thrown into a wall ten feet or so away.

People don't realize that, even if the fights weren't real, the athletes were. There's a great 30 for 30 on Ric Flair. He talked some about training with Verne Gagne. That was jaw-dropping.

There was also an excellent documentary on Andre the Giant on HBO a week or two ago. I definitely recommend a watch if you like the Andre stories.

There's a copy of it here, though no guarantees on how long it'll be on Youtube:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There was also an excellent documentary on Andre the Giant on HBO a week or two ago. I definitely recommend a watch if you like the Andre stories.

There's a copy of it here, though no guarantees on how long it'll be on Youtube:

I saw most of that. It was pretty interesting. And to say "Andre really liked to go out drinking" is quite an understatement.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Oh, that's cool. I hope I have a chance to see it before it's taken down.

Re: "Andre really liked to go out drinking": He holds the (AFAIK unverified) record for beers drunk in a night: 114. Glad I never met him and tried to keep up. That's ended badly for me once or twice with far lesser drinking buddies.

Reaction Score
One of my friends was a sales rep and he said one morning he was checking out of the hotel the same time as Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth. He couldn’t resist imitating him and he said Savage held his hand up and said “Alright, let’s not go there.” He was surprised how soft spoken he was. Said they were very nice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom