OT: breaking news...UConn men have a coach | The Boneyard

OT: breaking news...UConn men have a coach

Reaction Score
According to the men's board there are multiple/reliable sources that say UConn has hired Danny Hurley.

Given our current guy-side situation I think we did just fine.
If true...congrats to the AD.

Congrats to the boosters that came up with the money needed to offer a contract that was competitive with Pittburgh's.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Fantastic news for UConn and fantastic news for Pitt. Couldn't be happier that a team that went 0-18 in the ACC lost out to UConn in a battle for a new coach.

Reaction Score
BLAKE: Thanks breaking this big news for and to us. Coach Hurley is passion personified on the court and comes from quite a line of "coaching stock" as you know, including his brother and his dad. Papa Bob won s.t. like a couple DOZEN championships in NJ at the high school level, and was truly legendary in that state. Brother Bobby was an All American at Duke and is a college coach. One of my college pals is a sports encyclopedia par excellence and RI resident. He will be a crestfallen man this day.

My bet is that Hurley's being able to interact with Coach Geno was a helpful factor in this hire.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dan’s father is in the Naismith HOF. Setting the bar high!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That's a good hire; the key is being able to recruit in the AAC.

Reaction Score
That's a good hire; the key is being able to recruit in the AAC.

My crestfallen pal in RI told me this afternoon that Dan can REALLY recruit. He says that was a significant factor in Hurley's ability to turn URI around and enable them to challenge Providence for top dog in RI.

Reaction Score
I'm very happy for Danny, the U Conn men's team, and Danny's whole family.
As I lifelong NYC resident and basketball fan, Bobby Hurley was a legendary coach who was at a very small Catholic HS in an inner city NJ school. He often competed for and won, not only many NJ state championships but often ranked amongst the best in the country. His two sons grew up in that environment and we're both excellent players. His brother Bobby was an all American and was becoming a solid pro basketball player when he came very close to being killed in a horrendous car accident after leaving a game one night. I read a book some years ago, by the Dad about his career (don't remember its title and all of the details) and that horrible period first not knowing if your child will live, but if so how impaired he might be. It's well documented that Bobby Jr. is now a college coach at a very good basketball program.
Danny was surely not talented as his brother basketball wise, but having to strive to be close to that, I'm sure has been critical to his development and success.
While I could go on, I'm sure this is an excellent hire, as his lifelong training in basketball and life, has so prepared him for this next step.
What I don't want to forget to mention, is his Mom was totally essential to all this. The quiet, behind the scenes strength to allow and enable her husband and two sons to become what they have.
The pride both parents must feel is probably off the charts.
Congrats to all involved.
Bronx23

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It will be fascinating to see how many of the incoming recruits he can convince to stay with UConn. If they wish to leave, he should grant them that choice.
Also Rhody should do the same for incoming Rhody recruits....I hear he had a good class coming in.
My sense is that Ollie's class is a good one....one guard from California did get a release right away...while the others apparently were going to see who the next coach would be.
Hurley should go after the Cali kid to try and change his mind....if Dan sees him as a good fit.

1: 00 presser to announce....will ESPN and/or a local station carry it???

Geno and Kathy should send Dan and wife one of their best bottles of wine as a welcome gift.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bob is making a name in Arizona. The Hurley name has cache. Dan should be able to clean up between Philly and Boston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom