OT: Boxing on NBC tonight | The Boneyard

OT: Boxing on NBC tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
After watching today's game, seeing people get punched might be a nice diversion. It's been a long time since boxing's been on network tv. Will it work? I remember rooting for Marlon Starling, on ABC Wide World of Sports years ago.

Reaction Score
Excited to check out the fight. They are saying whoever wins this fight will fight the winner of Pacquiao and Mayweather. And for free!

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Keep an eye out for Keith Thurman (24-0, 21KO's), he's a bad bad man..... The next star of the welterweight division, should be a great night of boxing.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
The Thurman fight should be good. I can't stand Broner and wouldn't mind seeing him lose. I have no idea what kind of shape he's in.
Ain't that the truth, he's mayweather on crack, but in all the bad ways. Was amped when Maidana gave'em a butt whoopin..... Very curious to see how he looks as well, the kid has skills, but lacks humility and respect for the sport....let's see if he 's grown up

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think it's a pretty good move.

These guys are trying to come up on the undercard of pay per view fights or on cable, and that's not really helping the sport.

I agree on Broner - he has ability, but lord, what a clown. The deal where his dad brushes his hair is just so stupid.

Reaction Score
After watching today's game, seeing people get punched might be a nice diversion. It's been a long time since boxing's been on network tv. Will it work? I remember rooting for Marlon Starling, on ABC Wide World of Sports years ago.
Hopefully Thurman wins, he seems like the real deal. Broner on the other hand is a punk and this seems like another Al Haymon setup.

Reaction Score
Boxing needs a comeback, glad to see NBC is doing this, smart

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First fight is over and it was a snoozefest. Molina didn't bring anything. Above all else these fight nights have to be exciting.

I'm pretty sure Kenny Rogers is in the second row in a red polo, but I can't imagine Kenny Rogers wearing a red polo.

Reaction Score
After all the hype you would think Broner would fight someone tougher than a club fighter. That was embarrassing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fight #2 was much more enjoyable.

Thurman threw some bombs and Guerrero kept going.

I'll be interested in seeing what kind of ratings NBC gets for this.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Amazing effort of Guerrero to continue after that knockdown and great fight

Reaction Score
Unbelievable heart by Guerrero. No shame in that performance he fought like a real champion

GemParty

Reaction Score
Did any of you bump into the documentary on Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini after the 3rd fight on NBC Sports? It was incredible. I haven't seen it marked to re air- but it's called The Good Son, if you can track It down. I saw the Kim fight when I was 11, & never knew the backstory. Worth your time.

Reaction Score
Fight #2 was much more enjoyable.

Thurman threw some bombs and Guerrero kept going.

I'll be interested in seeing what kind of ratings NBC gets for this.
Thurman went to the hospital afterwards. That knot on his head was humongous.

Big Knot linky

B_nHWP0UcAAQBpB.jpg

GemParty

Reaction Score
Does that look like the face of the winner? Wow

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Speaking of huge knots on heads after fights, remember Rahman after a fight with Holyfield?

evander%20holyfield%20Rahman.jpg

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Regarding the NBC fights, did it seem too much with the ring entrances? I guess they were more European type entrances. But, it seemed kind of odd vs what we are used to with HBO and showtime.

Reaction Score
Regarding the NBC fights, did it seem too much with the ring entrances? I guess they were more European type entrances. But, it seemed kind of odd vs what we are used to with HBO and showtime.
Yeah, I'm old school so I was not impressed. They looked more like entertainers (think WWE) than warriors. It was if they were preparing for a battle of the rappers. What's next sticking a mic in their hands as they approach the ring?

Times have changed but there was nothing intimidating or thrilling about those entrances, and I hope not to see this become a pattern. Remember Tyson wearing the half tee or fighters coming out with an entourage of trainers and like, or worse seeing a fighter in the ring purposely made to wait longer for his opponent to enter the ring.

That to me is an entrance!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Boxing needs a comeback, glad to see NBC is doing this, smart

NBC didn't do it - the promoter bought the time on the network.

He's going to do it again on other networks down the road....it's part of a plan to overthrow the commissions.

Reaction Score
NBC didn't do it - the promoter bought the time on the network.

He's going to do it again on other networks down the road....it's part of a plan to overthrow the commissions.
This weekend theres a good card on Spike that will be more action packed than the NBC telecast. I hate broner as hes got a lot of physical talent but skill wise and attitude wise he needs a lot of work. Fights too flat footed and isnt busy enough. Looked good against a walking punching bag who phoned it in before he even stepped in the ring.

Really enjoyed the second fight and i think Thurman is going to be a star in a loaded WW division. Guerrero put in a nice effort and look forward to watching him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom