OT: Boxing heavyweights - Wilder/Ortiz | The Boneyard

OT: Boxing heavyweights - Wilder/Ortiz

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Who's going to watch this Saturday? I'm looking forward to seeing it. We don't get many quality heavyweight fights recently, but this will be interesting. I can envision either fighter getting knocked out. Wilder has been knocking everyone out but King Kong Ortiz will be the best fighter Wilder has faced.

press_conference_0020.0.jpg

Reaction Score
I think Wilder will win. If this was 2 years ago, I would pick Ortiz...but Wilder has gotten better and Ortiz is very old.

Reaction Score
Ortiz is pretty good overall and should give Wilder a solid challenge. Doubt if it goes the distance.

Reaction Score
Wilder is a bit wild and sloppy at times but that dude has serious power. He just needs to catch you once with that right hand and it can be night night time. Look forward to him against most likely Anthony Joshua.

Reaction Score
Wilder is a bit wild and sloppy at times but that dude has serious power. He just needs to catch you once with that right hand and it can be night night time. Look forward to him against most likely Anthony Joshua.
That’s gonna be a great fight, Joshua is great tactically and has incredible power, but like you said, if one of Wilder’s flails catches you, it’s pretty much good night.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
That’s gonna be a great fight, Joshua is great tactically and has incredible power, but like you said, if one of Wilder’s flails catches you, it’s pretty much good night.

I was a Wilder doubter a couple years ago, but no longer. We know about his short comings, but his athletic mobility to get out of the way on defense and chin may be better than many thought.

Hopefully Hearn makes that Joshua fight vs Wilder sooner than later. I hope its at the end of this year but probably it will be in 2019. It's great when the heavyweight division is buzzing again.

Reaction Score
He fought Ortiz at an opportune time. Too bad this fight didn't happen earlier. Ortiz is older and on the decline. With that said if round 7 was 10 second longer the fight might be over and the KO in round 10 never happens

Good fight not great fight

Reaction Score
He fought Ortiz at an opportune time. Too bad this fight didn't happen earlier. Ortiz is older and on the decline. With that said if round 7 was 10 second longer the fight might be over and the KO in round 10 never happens

Good fight not great fight
And if there was 20 more seconds in the 5th Ortiz never makes it to the 7th. I really, really HATE! This coulda, woulda,shoulda hypothetical stuff. YOure obviously not much of a DW fan as because you wrote 4 sentences and each on e is basically discrediting DW win. Ortiz is an older fighter but hes far from shot,is highly skilled, can punch and is likely the #3 guy in the division right now. He was taking control of the fight and while the judges had DW ahead some thought maybe Ortiz might be ahead and i can see it because i had the fight close.
Im sure if DW goes on to beat Joshua it wont be about how hes the best HW in the world itll be how Joshua was overrated and how Fury would destroy DW. Give the man his due.

Reaction Score
It was a good night for boxing, if you exclude the terrible scorecards. I wish DW had starting boxing 5 years earlier than did. If he actually know how to throw the atomic bomb attached to his right shoulder.....damn he could be special.

He earned a lot of fans that night.

Reaction Score
And if there was 20 more seconds in the 5th Ortiz never makes it to the 7th. I really, really HATE! This coulda, woulda,shoulda hypothetical stuff. YOure obviously not much of a DW fan as because you wrote 4 sentences and each on e is basically discrediting DW win. Ortiz is an older fighter but hes far from shot,is highly skilled, can punch and is likely the #3 guy in the division right now. He was taking control of the fight and while the judges had DW ahead some thought maybe Ortiz might be ahead and i can see it because i had the fight close.
Im sure if DW goes on to beat Joshua it wont be about how hes the best HW in the world itll be how Joshua was overrated and how Fury would destroy DW. Give the man his due.

At the beginning of the 8th the ref delayed the start of the round even more to give dw more rest.

I didn't expect Ortiz to win because of age and his post fight comments echo my feeling on the fight

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
It was a good night for boxing, if you exclude the terrible scorecards. I wish DW had starting boxing 5 years earlier than did. If he actually know how to throw the atomic bomb attached to his right shoulder.....damn he could be special.

He earned a lot of fans that night.

Yes, agreed that Wilder earned more fans Saturday. Good for him.

Also it was a good night for boxing as HBO also showed Bivol dismantle Barrera. Bivol is a really good young light heavy. He's probably better than Kovalev who was on the other fight.

Reaction Score
Fun fight. Missed the HBO fights. Bibol is intriguing.

Reaction Score
Yes, agreed that Wilder earned more fans Saturday. Good for him.

Also it was a good night for boxing as HBO also showed Bivol dismantle Barrera. Bivol is a really good young light heavy. He's probably better than Kovalev who was on the other fight.

I haven't seen enough of Bivol. Do you think he could beat Kovalev now?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I haven't seen enough of Bivol. Do you think he could beat Kovalev now?

I think so. He looks to be the real deal combination of speed, power, skills, movement. Andre Ward went to Bivol's camp recently and was very impressed.

Reaction Score
I think so. He looks to be the real deal combination of speed, power, skills, movement. Andre Ward went to Bivol's camp recently and was very impressed.

I need to check him out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wilder is a bizarre fighter - frequently has no idea what he’s doing and he’s eventually going to get tagged with a haymaker by someone. But he’s a lot of fun to watch when he senses blood. Even glancing punches, and most of his punches don’t hit flush, just bludgeon people to the ground.

He looked exhausted in the 7th and 8th, but the first time he thought he hurt Ortiz in the 9th, he’s fully-restored. It’s like finding an energy pack in a video game.

Athletically, he’s not part of this world.

Reaction Score
Wilder is a bizarre fighter - frequently has no idea what he’s doing and he’s eventually going to get tagged with a haymaker by someone. But he’s a lot of fun to watch when he senses blood. Even glancing punches, and most of his punches don’t hit flush, just bludgeon people to the ground.

He looked exhausted in the 7th and 8th, but the first time he thought he hurt Ortiz in the 9th, he’s fully-restored. It’s like finding an energy pack in a video game.

Athletically, he’s not part of this world.
Imho he is EASILY the most athletic hw right now and one of if not the most athletic ever. He took some clean shots from Ortiz so his chin is better than many give him credit for. I agree its not granite but what hw right now has a iron chin? Youre right though his biggest issue though is his sloppyness. If this guy was a high skill fighter with his physical gifts hed by far and away be the best in the division.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom