OT: Boston Tribute to Mariano Rivera. | The Boneyard

OT: Boston Tribute to Mariano Rivera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
An appropriate and richly deserved tribute was paid to Mariano in his last appearance at Fenway Park.

The gifts were nice and the ceremony was well done but I think they missed one opportunity.

In this historic park that houses the famous Pesky Pole (right field) and the less famous Fisk Pole (left field), why not name (with suitable bronze plaque, etc.) the visitors' bull pen "The Mariano Rivera Bullpen"? In perpetuity.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Mariano's hand written note in the bullpen:

BUQSMenIUAAWxTf.jpg:large

Also, ESPN New York voted Rivera the #5 greatest Yankee of all time, ahead of names like Guidry, Jeter and Ford. Behind only the legendary names below:

1. Ruth
2. Gehrig
3. DiMaggio
4. Mantle
5. Rivera

LINK

Reaction Score
An appropriate and richly deserved tribute was paid to Mariano in his last appearance at Fenway Park.

The gifts were nice and the ceremony was well done but I think they missed one opportunity.

In this historic park that houses the famous Pesky Pole (right field) and the less famous Fisk Pole (left field), why not name (with suitable bronze plaque, etc.) the visitors' bull pen "The Mariano Rivera Bullpen"? In perpetuity.
Why in the world would the Sox name anything in honor of a Yankee at Fenway, other than maybe a bathroom. I don't see the Pat Summit visitors locker room at Gampel.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Why in the world would the Sox name anything in honor of a Yankee at Fenway, other than maybe a bathroom. I don't see the Pat Summit visitors locker room at Gampel.

"Ask Tito. He knows":rolleyes:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Nice gesture, for a day, and a day only.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This a poignant moment for me. I grew up an avid baseball/Yankees fan. A couple years after the advent of free agency and Steinbrenner my interest waned and turned more to college sports, where to me there was less turnover and prima donnas. Then in the mid-nineties my interest picked up again because there were a bunch of loyal and passionate Yankees that captured my heart: Mattingly, Williams, Jeter, Rivera, Pettite, even O'Neill to me was a Yankee in the traditional sense. Now as Rivera leaves so does all final interest I have in pro baseball. I suppose I'm just getting to be an old fart, but I'll take players with passion and loyalty over star power. That's why I love the UConn women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom