OT: Book Recommendations | The Boneyard

OT: Book Recommendations

Reaction Score
This seems like the worst time to begin a thread, but perhaps some folks have some good recommendations for me in between F5 season. I kinda feel bad about bogging down a recruiting thread with the Jack Reacher discussion that ensued.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In addition to Hillbilly Elegy, which I recommended in the other thread, I am also enjoying Springsteen's autobiography, and am not surprised to hear from several friends that it is also an excellent audio book--read by him--if you're into that sort of thing.

Reaction Score
In addition to Hillbilly Elegy, which I recommended in the other thread, I am also enjoying Springsteen's autobiography, and am not surprised to hear from several friends that it is also an excellent audio book--read by him--if you're into that sort of thing.

I should read Hillbilly Elegy, even if only to judge those who rave about it.

I recently finished Sapiens which was another book universally praised for how profound it was, only to find it more meh than anything. And before that, I "had to" read Between Two Worlds, only to soon after hear Coates speak to feeling uncomfortable that his book has become the go-to book for yuppies trying to understand the black experience. I am jaded.

I just had to look up exactly what "heathen" even means. One of those words I see semi frequently, and even use on occasion, but only 85% know what it means. Maybe I should read a dictionary.

I recently finished Before The Fall. The author, Noah Hawley, is the writer of Fargo and Legion and I absolutely love Fargo. Very good page turner. You won't think about it for a moment after you finish, but I enjoyed a lot nonetheless.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - the series, the martian, the hobbit, the book by alan watts, fight club, slaughterhouse five, the creature of jekyll island, carl sagan pale blue dot

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Some scattershot recommendations:

I recently enjoyed The Symphathizer The Sympathizer

One of my favorite books is The Alienist The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1)

I recently read Before the Fall, which walker11 recommended. Entertaining read.

I go back and forth between high fallutin' "literature" and detective novels.

Reaction Score
Some scattershot recommendations:

I recently enjoyed The Symphathizer The Sympathizer

One of my favorite books is The Alienist The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1)

I recently read Before the Fall, which walker11 recommended. Entertaining read.

I go back and forth between high fallutin' "literature" and detective novels.

I can second The Alienist. Phenomenal.
Read infinite Jest

Too much of a chore for me. Certain parts were wildly entertaining. I didn't like the separatist plot and gave up 300 pages in. Consider the Lobster is terrific, though, especially "The Host" and the McCain story.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. If you like that then his other books are just as good.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Golf season is here. If you golf at any level and haven't yet read Rick Reilly's "Missing Links", you owe it to yourself to do so.

I'd recommend "God In a Cup", but I'm pretty sure I only really liked it because I personally know most of the characters. But it's still a pretty interesting look behind the curtain of the coffee industry that people outside the industry have no clue about.

Reaction Score
People who like military novels need to read Matterhorn. Extremely affecting and immensely readable. I read this back to back with When Breath Becomes Air and they both made me deeply appreciate my life for a full day or two, until I got wrapped in in another UConn loss.

Reaction Score
My favorite book of all time is "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. It starts a little slow but if you make it through the first 50 pages you won't be able to put it down. It is historical fiction so while the personalities of the characters are fictional the background and culture are accurate.

I spent a lot of time in Iraq/Afghanistan and the bravery and dedication of the Spartans in this book really helped inspire me on some rough nights. I can't recommend it enough...

Reaction Score
Golf season is here. If you golf at any level and haven't yet read Rick Reilly's "Missing Links", you owe it to yourself to do so.

I'd recommend "God In a Cup", but I'm pretty sure I only really liked it because I personally know most of the characters. But it's still a pretty interesting look behind the curtain of the coffee industry that people outside the industry have no clue about.
I LOVE golf but HATE Rick Reilly, is it really that good?

Reaction Score
People who like military novels need to read Matterhorn. Extremely affecting and immensely readable. I read this back to back with When Breath Becomes Air and they both made me deeply appreciate my life for a full day or two, until I got wrapped in in another UConn loss.

Just read The Road about a month ago. Thats a book that will instill an appreciation in you.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Just read The Road about a month ago. Thats a book that will instill an appreciation in you.

Exactly. Gives you some perspective. You think the AAC is bad???

Reaction Score
My favorite book of all time is "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. It starts a little slow but if you make it through the first 50 pages you won't be able to put it down. It is historical fiction so while the personalities of the characters are fictional the background and culture are accurate.

I spent a lot of time in Iraq/Afghanistan and the bravery and dedication of the Spartans in this book really helped inspire me on some rough nights. I can't recommend it enough...

Haven't read Gates of Fire (it's on my backlog), but enjoyed "War of Art." Pressfield certainly has some interesting insights.

Reaction Score
Shogun by James Clavell. Historical fiction about the earliest of European boats to find and land in Japan. Part of a series about historical Asia but you don't need to read any of the others to get Shogun

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I should read Hillbilly Elegy, even if only to judge those who rave about it.

I recently finished Sapiens which was another book universally praised for how profound it was, only to find it more meh than anything. And before that, I "had to" read Between Two Worlds, only to soon after hear Coates speak to feeling uncomfortable that his book has become the go-to book for yuppies trying to understand the black experience. I am jaded.

I just had to look up exactly what "heathen" even means. One of those words I see semi frequently, and even use on occasion, but only 85% know what it means. Maybe I should read a dictionary.

I recently finished Before The Fall. The author, Noah Hawley, is the writer of Fargo and Legion and I absolutely love Fargo. Very good page turner. You won't think about it for a moment after you finish, but I enjoyed a lot nonetheless.

I do this all the time. Usually ends in me tearing the book a new one and haughtily scoffing at others gullibility and sheep-like zeal.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I LOVE golf but HATE Rick Reilly, is it really that good?

Other than potentially one or two Hiaasen books, it is the funniest book I've ever read. You're not thinking of Rick Reilly when you read it.

And if you ever played the actual Ponkapoug GC in Canton, MA, it's a must read. While the course in the book is "fictional", Ponky is the inspiration. A great Donald Ross design turned into a dump of a course.

Reaction Score
Haven't read Gates of Fire (it's on my backlog), but enjoyed "War of Art." Pressfield certainly has some interesting insights.

I think highly of Steven Pressfield as an author. I've read all his stuff and I particularly enjoyed "Killing Rommel" and "The Afghan Campaign." But, in my humble opinion, his true masterpiece is "Gates of Fire" and dwarfs his other works.

As mentioned above "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy is a powerful book which leaves the reader wondering whether the human desire to survive would still exist in a world completely devoid of hope. Cormac McCarthy is a talented author and I particularly liked "Blood Meridians" in addition to "The Road."

Finally I recently finished "Endurance" by Alfred Lancing. It is the true story of the Shackleford expedition to Antarctica in 1914. It was an amazing story of survival and hardship which left me questioning my toughness (and also feeling really cold). This book will definitely stick with me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Finally I recently finished "Endurance" by Alfred Lancing. It is the true story of the Shackleford expedition to Antarctica in 1914. It was an amazing story of survival and hardship which left me questioning my toughness (and also feeling really cold). This book will definitely stick with me.

One of my favorite books of all time and Shackleton is someone I have continued to read more and get to know more about. One of the greatest leaders of men of our time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
One of my favorite books of all time and Shackleton is someone I have continued to read more and get to know more about. One of the greatest leaders of men of our time.

If you liked "Endurance", I recommend "In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Voyage of the USS Jeannette."

Reaction Score
Read infinite Jest

I think 99% of people who start that don't finish, but what an awesome read. David foster Wallace just had IT... he just knew things and had such great perception. Which freaks me out because he committed suicide.

Also randomly going to pile on:

The kingkiller chronicles (better than GoT in my opinion)

Maybe some cormac McCarthy

Try some biographies, Ron chernow is pretty fantastic if you're into history.

For a quick read, look into some of the better YA lit (Feed, American born Chinese, etc. there's lists everywhere)

Great memoir of a child soldier: a long way gone

I LOVE a passage to India by EM Forster

Do not read that Underground Railroad book. It's moronic. It's an actual railroad WTF?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom