OT...Bobby Bowden on WFAN Today... | The Boneyard

OT...Bobby Bowden on WFAN Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And now USA Today is running a front page editorial on how Bowden insulted former players and their mom's for saying on ESPN's Mike and Mike that too many players are growing up without male figures on their household.

He had the audacity to say they had wonderful mommas and grandmas but could use a male influence as they grow up.

Awesome.

Bobby Bowden insults single moms and his former players in horrible interview

Reaction Score
And now USA Today is running a front page editorial on how Bowden insulted former players and their mom's for saying on ESPN's Mike and Mike that too many players are growing up without male figures on their household.

He had the audacity to say they had wonderful mommas and grandmas but could use a male influence as they grow up.

Awesome.

Welcome to stating the obvious in America in [the current year]

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Awesome.

Bowden is more right than wrong, but as usual the millennial reporter can't see the forest through the trees.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Awesome.

He speaks the truth. Although the bigger message is that two-parent households provide better outcomes than single-parent households.

– Children in father-absent homes are almost four times more likely to be poor. In 2011, 12 percent of children in married-couple families were living in poverty, compared to 44 percent of children in mother-only families.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Children’s Living Arrangements and Characteristics: March 2011, Table C8. Washington D.C.: 2011.

– Children living in female headed families with no spouse present had a poverty rate of 47.6 percent, over 4 times the rate in married-couple families.
Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; ASEP Issue Brief: Information on Poverty and Income Statistics. September 12, 2012 Information on Poverty and Income Statistics: A Summary of 2012 Current Population Survey Data

Reaction Score
He speaks the truth. Although the bigger message is that two-parent households provide better outcomes than single-parent households.

– Children in father-absent homes are almost four times more likely to be poor. In 2011, 12 percent of children in married-couple families were living in poverty, compared to 44 percent of children in mother-only families.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Children’s Living Arrangements and Characteristics: March 2011, Table C8. Washington D.C.: 2011.

– Children living in female headed families with no spouse present had a poverty rate of 47.6 percent, over 4 times the rate in married-couple families.
Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; ASEP Issue Brief: Information on Poverty and Income Statistics. September 12, 2012 Information on Poverty and Income Statistics: A Summary of 2012 Current Population Survey Data
Don't go using facts and logic when faux outrage will do

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You'll never be a columnist for USA Today.

Reaction Score
Absolutely pathetic "reporting". My parents divorced when I was 10, my dad passed away when I was 17. I have lived much longer without him in my life than I ever did with him and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I could talk to him, get advice from him, etc. I strive every day to make sure my kids know I am there, that they can count on me, and for someone to think that what Bowden said was "insulting" is absolutely ridiculous. That reporter should do their part to help with carbon emissions and immediately stop breathing.

Reaction Score
Bowden is more right than wrong, but as usual the millennial reporter can't see the forest through the trees.
My brother raised two daughters and he probably wishes he had a dollar for every man and woman who at some point said his girls needed a woman's guidance at some point in their upbringing. Both girls have masters degrees, one is a civil engineer the other a 3rd grade teacher. The best is they presented my brother with four grandchildren and counting.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

The bigger message is that wealthy or at least adequate-incomed households have better outcomes than poor ones.

An added wrinkle - are they poor be cause they are in single-parent households or are they in single-parent households because they are poor? Much harder to keep a family together under the stress of poverty.

Nothing that Bowden said is in any way abhorrent or insulting, and a good male role model for a boy is bound to be positive on his life. Just remember, a bad one may have the reverse affect, and many that leave are probably of the bad type.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The bigger message is that wealthy or at least adequate-incomed households have better outcomes than poor ones.

An added wrinkle - are they poor be cause they are in single-parent households or are they in single-parent households because they are poor? Much harder to keep a family together under the stress of poverty.

Nothing that Bowden said is in any way abhorrent or insulting, and a good male role model for a boy is bound to be positive on his life. Just remember, a bad one may have the reverse affect, and many that leave are probably of the bad type.
Good points...but consider when someone talks about the virtues of the two parent household, its an indirect way of calling out bad dads who frankly don't get called out in society like they should. Bad Dads come in all stripes, but in the most simplistic terms they are the ones that repeatedly make selfish choices which burden their kids and their greater family. Bad Dads are a big part, perhaps the most significant cause, of poverty/crime lifestyle trap.

Reaction Score
Good points...but consider when someone talks about the virtues of the two parent household, its an indirect way of calling out bad dads who frankly don't get called out in society like they should. Bad Dads come in all stripes, but in the most simplistic terms they are the ones that repeatedly make selfish choices which burden their kids and their greater family. Bad Dads are a big part, perhaps the most significant cause, of poverty/crime lifestyle trap.
Bad dads come in different forms..... they could be in the household along with outside... It's all about the selfishness part.... Kids are impressionable... It pretty much start at 2 years old... monkey see monkey do... The impression you set in your child's life lasts a lifetime...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

The stats on years of education are income-agnostic. I know what you're saying but it's a cyclical argument. Wealthy people are generally better educated, kids tend to reach a level of education similar to their parents (there are studies on this), hence kids in higher income households have better outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom