OT - Bob Stoops out @ Oklahoma. | The Boneyard

OT - Bob Stoops out @ Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Bruce Feldman‏ @BruceFeldmanCFB 7m 7 minutes ago
BREAKING Can confirm Oklahoman report that Bob Stoops is retiring at #OU, effective immediately. Lincoln Riley will become the new HC

Bruce Feldman‏ @BruceFeldmanCFB 8m 8 minutes ago
SOURCE: Bob Stoops & #OC AD Joe Castiglione have been grooming Lincoln Riley for this situation for over a year.

Bruce Feldman‏ @BruceFeldmanCFB 7m7 minutes ago
Bob Stoops is 56 & has won 10 Big12 titles. I'm told his reasoning for stepping down now is because he's ready & he wants to "go live life."

Berry Tramel: http://newsok.com/source-bob-stoops-retiring/article/5551964

Reaction Score
Oh wow... Didn't see that one coming.... but I commend Stoops for focusing on him and doing something else in life. Can only make so much money... I'm sure after awhile ultimate happiness takes over... Good for him.

Reaction Score
Going up against a young Tom Herman wouldn't have been easy.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Timing seems odd. Since the replacement is in house, it's not that big of a deal...but a coach of Stoops stature you would think would have a better plan.

Also...what a roll of the dice to give a 33 yo guy control of such a high profile program. That is quite the leap of faith.

Reaction Score
The second biggest surprise for me with this story was that Stoops is only 56. I would have guessed he was at least 10 years older.

Reaction Score
Oh wow... Didn't see that one coming.... but I commend Stoops for focusing on him and doing something else in life. Can only make so much money... I'm sure after awhile ultimate happiness takes over... Good for him.

Boneyardigans‏ @UConnFanDotCom 12m 12 minutes ago
Surprised more coaches don’t take the Stoops’ route - realize that they are rich as hell and do something less stressful with their lives.

Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken 8m 8 minutes ago
With the money coaches are making today, why would anyone want to put up with the BS more than 10 or 15 years?

Ralph D. Russo‏ @ralphDrussoAP 5m 5 minutes ago
Always thought Stoops might pull a Spurrier. That is get a little tired of being criticized for winning 10 games and try something else.

Ralph D. Russo‏@ralphDrussoAP 4m 4 minutes ago
Never though he'd call it a day at 56, but I think the people who have covered him for a long time would say not totally shocking.

Stewart Mandel‏@slmandel 6m 6 minutes ago
Bob Stoops continues a tradition at OU. Bud Wilkinson retired at 47. Barry Switzer resigned (amidst scandal) at 51. Stoops made it to 56.

Reaction Score
Can we poach any of their commits?

Just kidding, I have to add this

Reaction Score
Bob must really hate the Women's Softball program. Couldn't even give them 24 hours of media coverage.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pulled a Calhoun, nicely done Bob.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

That would be nice, but I am not buying it.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
What a weird time to retire.

It is. The comparisons to Dean Smith and Calboun are off a little as those guys were 70, not 56 years old. There are rumors out there, but it would take a lot for OU to force retirement on a guy that had a statue built on campus. Something is just fishy about this whole thing to me.

Reaction Score
It is. The comparisons to Dean Smith and Calboun are off a little as those guys were 70, not 56 years old. There are rumors out there, but it would take a lot for OU to force retirement on a guy that had a statue built on campus. Something is just fishy about this whole thing to me.

There's more to this story. There has to be. If I had to guess sanctions are coming like when Pete Carol left USC.

Reaction Score
There's more to this story. There has to be.

Why does there have to be? When people have gernerational money in their pocket, they can't make a quality of life decision?

Reaction Score
Why does there have to be?

He has one of the best winning percentages in college football history. He's a great coach which makes me think there's either sanctions coming down or he was forced out for now being in the playoffs more. Just my two cents. I've been wrong before....a lot

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Why does there have to be? When people have gernerational money in their pocket, they can't make a quality of life decision?

He made a quality of life decision on a random Wednesday in June? He signed an extension worth ~$30 million just last year.

It is just a little strange to me for a 56 year old. We will see if anytbing comes out though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom