OT: Bluebird Pecking Help | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bluebird Pecking Help

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bluebirds are insect eaters. You may want to ask yourself if you might have a bigger problem than the birds.

And definitely have (as far as I can tell from the internet) some gray catbirds hammering away on the back lawn on whatever bugs are starting to become active.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

maybe try these?

a painter once told me to tape pieces of aluminum foil to inside of windows - its all about the reflection they see

Plus spray the outside sills with a odiferous insect spray

Good Luck

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aight. Spring is in the air. Birds are building nests and defending territory.

Nothing has changed near my home or neighbors' homes but I now have an eastern bluebird which has decided my house and windows are a threat to its territory and safety. As a result from right around sunrise until around noon, windows in my backyard are under constant assault as it lands on the sills and pecks away at the windows. It will bounce from bedroom to kitchen to sliding doors and just peck away. It's not particularly aggressive as it will fly away when any person or dog goes outside but it's still a bit of a pain. Basically the sound a someone lightly knocking on your door.

As far as solutions, I'm not getting a cat. I've contemplated a snake but I really don't think I can control it hanging out and doing its intended job. An airsoft BB seems reasonable but I don't want to shoot towards my own windows and it always flies towards my neighbor's roof or trees and I'm not big on shooting animals on another's property. I'm not against throwing some poison mixed in peanut butter on a pine cone but there's not guarantee other birds or squirrels wouldn't eat it, so I'd like to avoid it.

According to the interwebs the reason for the bluebird doing this is it sees a reflection and deems the reflection a threat and recommends using a highlighter to make X's on the window. I've tried blinds and drapes open and closed.

So, BY, what say you? Suggestions on bird mitigation?
Hey, Chin.

I send you some links I received from the:

Wildlife Division

Bureau of Natural Resources

Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection

The reason for my consulting them is that I was considering getting installed a new energy efficient kitchen window with a privacy option where I could look out, and neighbors could not look in. They would see a reflection like a mirror.

But after reading about your dilemma, I called the CT DEP. The tech offered possible solutions that should work for the usual window without the privacy option. I don’t think I will gamble on the paint working on the reflective film, and will just get the regular high efficiency window. The window is expensive and I don't want to take a chance whether the film or paint will do the job.

She said bird strikes happen all the time.

Here is what she sent me as quoted in her words below:

Below are links to a variety of options to help protect the birds while also offering you home privacy. Take a look at each site to determine what will work best for your personal situation.
Amazon.com: Uvfx Black Light Medium 250Ml Gloss

UV-reflecting glass, tapes, decals, and liquids for home windows - BirdWatching[49] (birdwatchingdaily.com)

Window Decals for Birds | Ultraviolet Bird Stickers (windowalert.com)

Bird Safety Window Films: Decorative Films, LLC.

Bird Strike Prevention Films By Clearview Solutions - Chicago, Lake Forest, Highland Park, Barrington, Aurora, IL, Southern Wisconsin (cvswindowfilm.com) (also residential tinting)

Good luck! The birds thank you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom