OT: Bluebird Pecking Help | The Boneyard

OT: Bluebird Pecking Help

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Aight. Spring is in the air. Birds are building nests and defending territory.

Nothing has changed near my home or neighbors' homes but I now have an eastern bluebird which has decided my house and windows are a threat to its territory and safety. As a result from right around sunrise until around noon, windows in my backyard are under constant assault as it lands on the sills and pecks away at the windows. It will bounce from bedroom to kitchen to sliding doors and just peck away. It's not particularly aggressive as it will fly away when any person or dog goes outside but it's still a bit of a pain. Basically the sound a someone lightly knocking on your door.

As far as solutions, I'm not getting a cat. I've contemplated a snake but I really don't think I can control it hanging out and doing its intended job. An airsoft BB seems reasonable but I don't want to shoot towards my own windows and it always flies towards my neighbor's roof or trees and I'm not big on shooting animals on another's property. I'm not against throwing some poison mixed in peanut butter on a pine cone but there's not guarantee other birds or squirrels wouldn't eat it, so I'd like to avoid it.

According to the interwebs the reason for the bluebird doing this is it sees a reflection and deems the reflection a threat and recommends using a highlighter to make X's on the window. I've tried blinds and drapes open and closed.

So, BY, what say you? Suggestions on bird mitigation?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Hilarious read Chin. Although I do not have a solution, years ago my son's bedroom was off the family room, windows ground level. Well he experienced the same. I cannot tell you what kind of bird, but I would assume it was a Robin. Well that bird would peck away on the glass constantly. No solution, just wait it out. Sorry.

Reaction Score

Nothing has changed near my home or neighbors' homes but I now have an eastern bluebird which has decided my house and windows are a threat to its territory and safety. As a result from right around sunrise until around noon, windows in my backyard are under constant assault as it lands on the sills and pecks away at the windows. It will bounce from bedroom to kitchen to sliding doors and just peck away. It's not particularly aggressive as it will fly away when any person or dog goes outside but it's still a bit of a pain. Basically the sound a someone lightly knocking on your door.

As far as solutions, I'm not getting a cat. I've contemplated a snake but I really don't think I can control it hanging out and doing its intended job. An airsoft BB seems reasonable but I don't want to shoot towards my own windows and it always flies towards my neighbor's roof or trees and I'm not big on shooting animals on another's property. I'm not against throwing some poison mixed in peanut butter on a pine cone but there's not guarantee other birds or squirrels wouldn't eat it, so I'd like to avoid it.

According to the interwebs the reason for the bluebird doing this is it sees a reflection and deems the reflection a threat and recommends using a highlighter to make X's on the window. I've tried blinds and drapes open and closed.

While I am not an ornithologist, sounds like you need to cover or interrupt the reflections from the outside. Screens? Painters tape?

Reaction Score
Try taping this in each window:

1646659082656.jpeg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Try taping this in each window:

View attachment 74082
Easy there, bud.

We have robins (or maybe just one really stupid robin) crashing into front and back windows quite often. Damned thing nearly killed itself last week and should be under concussion protocol as it hit the ground, stayed still for a bit, slowly got up and wobbled around for a few minutes before flying off.

But given the damage woodpeckers did this year, it's a minor nuisance comparatively.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Xavier and Seton Hall swept Creighton, so maybe it's gotta do with men in eye makeup. Put on some eye liner and go confront the bird.

Creighton is Bluejays. An entirely different bird with its own quirks.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

Poisoning Pigeons in the Park

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Bluebirds are insect eaters. You may want to ask yourself if you might have a bigger problem than the birds.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this helps or not. We have a dining room with cathedral ceilings and windows to match. Have had issues with robins/blue jays constantly crashing into/bumping into the windows and flying away. Only to return minutes later and do the same thing..Again and again.Called our town animal official and his explanation was-- Especially during mating season-- The males view the reflection they see in the windows as another male bird trying to take over their turf so they are trying to eliminate the competition by chasing them away/fighting them..Its actually a reflection of them. Solution given to us--not perfect- Put down shades on the targeted windows so that reflections are minimized or eliminated.

Sounds like a Geico commercial. LOL

Reaction Score
Robin was torturing us years ago. We put a bunch of removable stickers on those windows and the problem went away.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
maybe try a couple strips of wide painters tape or masking tape across the bottom of the windows, on the outside, so it can't see a reflection when it's on the sill? Not sure if it would be effective in the long term, but maybe worth a shot to see if it's effective.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Clearly you need a hawk.

We have plenty of hawks, just the wrong kind. Ospreys (Seahawks) are a constant presence and could easily feed off the smaller birds. Unfortunately they prefer fish to birds. A red tail would be great.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bluebirds are insect eaters. You may want to ask yourself if you might have a bigger problem than the birds.

Nothing I can do about insects. We have plenty of them around us and I don't mind the birds eating them. We have a steady stream of birds pecking at the ground throughout the day. Our house is fine, we have a quarterly insect control service. We are even clean of the dreaded Waterborne Destructive Insects (Termites) based on annual inspections.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
While I am not an ornithologist, sounds like you need to cover or interrupt the reflections from the outside. Screens? Painters tape?

I am going to try some blotches of painters tape.

This happens whether blinds are open or closed.

We do have some plywood cut to size for hurricane protection but I'm not boarding up my windows. Yet.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am going to try some blotches of painters tape.

This happens whether blinds are open or closed.

We do have some plywood cut to size for hurricane protection but I'm not boarding up my windows. Yet.
What about using Colorforms on the insides of the windows so you don't have to deal with cleaning stuff off? And you could get creative with the scenes and themes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
prolly one of two things. let's call them the 'rational' and the 'irrational.'
rational. now, in the lunar calendar clock, is the 'awakening of the insects' time. as someone earlier alluded to, if there is some wood rot at the locale, now thawing, the birds will find them and get to snacking. look closely at the site.
irrational. spring temps rising brings testosterone rising in the animal kingdom, and for some animals, rising testosterone can make them unusually bold and wacky. reflections in the window, turf stuff, all that can trigger them.
birdbrain is not a new descriptive word. very, very old in fact.

one inexpensive solution to the reflection thing is to buy some dark plastic sheeting, and cover the windows on the exterior. the shade/blinds thing doesn't change a thing for the exterior reflections.
of course, where i live, and after a reasonable waiting period to see if they're just passing thru or have plans to stay around, and they choose to homestead, well, smith doesn't just make cough drops, and wesson ain't just cooking oil. word up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What about some type of streamer that moves with the wind outside the window. May not be perfect for a calm day

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
prolly one of two things. let's call them the 'rational' and the 'irrational.'
rational. now, in the lunar calendar clock, is the 'awakening of the insects' time. as someone earlier alluded to, if there is some wood rot at the locale, now thawing, the birds will find them and get to snacking. look closely at the site.
irrational. spring temps rising brings testosterone rising in the animal kingdom, and for some animals, rising testosterone can make them unusually bold and wacky. reflections in the window, turf stuff, all that can trigger them.
birdbrain is not a new descriptive word. very, very old in fact.

one inexpensive solution to the reflection thing is to buy some dark plastic sheeting, and cover the windows on the exterior. the shade/blinds thing doesn't change a thing for the exterior reflections.
of course, where i live, and after a reasonable waiting period to see if they're just passing thru or have plans to stay around, and they choose to homestead, well, smith doesn't just make cough drops, and wesson ain't just cooking oil. word up.

It's definitely the irrational. Windows were replaced two years ago and are vinyl/metal combos with a brick house frame. Ain't nothing to rot. Plus, it's pecking right on the glass, not on the edges. it's definitely bird brained testosterone. I went with some painter's tape strips on a few of the windows and I'll see how that works.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Birds sometimes think their reflection is another competing male. Try taping a picture to the affected window to block the reflection until he moves or daylight savings time. The changing angle of the sun will naturally stop this behavior.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
so, it's settled, and it only took aboot 20 posts.
ur going to hire a painter, with a truckload of tape, and a gun loaded with birdshot. i luv it when a plan comes together.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I had turkeys doing the same to my basement sliders while also having woodpeckers hammer my gutters. Didn't have an answer except that they were not as obnoxious as the crank phone calls

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom