OT: Blu Ray advice | The Boneyard

OT: Blu Ray advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sorry for the OT, but my husband's birthday is a couple weeks away and I want to get him a Blu Ray. I was reading reviews for the various units on Amazon and, frankly, I don't really know what they're talking about!

My husband mentioned he just wants a basic unit but it seems that for a bit more money, you can get units that do just about anything -play CDs, DVDs, stream video from Amazon & Hulu, etc. We just got a Roku that gives us Internet access so I'm not sure if we need all the extras, although my husband does like to play music and sometimes uses the DVD player for that.

Any suggestions for a reliable, high quality Blu Ray player? I'm willing to go up to $200 for one.

Reaction Score
If your husband likes music, buy a cheap bluray and look at getting him an Amazon Echo... For $200 you can have both, if your a prime customer ($99 for the Echo). You say "Alexa play Elvis" , and it plays a playlist of him for hours or you make up your own.. It plays about a million songs on Amazon... ,spells thing for you, gives you weather, sports scores, and searches Wiki for answers to questions...I haven't listened to so much music in years... and it sounds great...You might have to wait a while to get it... I ordered a second one in Dec and it may come in in end of May...

Reaction Score
Samsung BD-H5100 Region-Free Blu-ray

I have been using this region free BD player for 7 months.
Very happy with its perfomance.
It is a player and not a recorder.

I buy UK and European DVD/BD from Amazon UK, Spain etc.
A lot cheaper.
My Harry Potter complete BD set cost 18 pounds (times 1.65 approx for conversion to dollars)
Sherlock Holmes complete BD was $99 ( or less) from Spain. (Jeremy Brett)
When on sale you can get them even cheaper - Maleficent was on sale last month.
All creatures great and small was $ 39 * 1.65 and Sharpe's Rifles complete DVD set still is $20 * 1.65 and
BD is $39 * 1.65 (or less)

I loved Pooh's adventures for $ 5 * 1.65

I do not know about video streaming. So please check that.

Reaction Score
The best blu-ray players would be video game consoles. If you don't want the game controller, try oppo. They have a universal player for $499. They are considered better than more expensive players, and Amazon carries different oppo players. Their highest level player is $999. I have the oppo BDP-83, but I am looking to upgrade. Check out the reviews on the internet by experts and customers.

Reaction Score
I've had a Sony for a few years now. Paid less than 200 bucks for it new. Plays blu ray, dvd, cds, mp3s. Streams Amazon, Pandora, Netflix, Hulu and a bunch of other stuff. No problems with it at all.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
I have the Samsung BD-H6500 in my living room and the Sony BDP-S5100 in my bedroom. Both are excellent players for the money. The Samsung one is far and away the fastest player I've had so far.

Reaction Score
Man I have a Sony blue ray player I will give you for free. My wife gave me a Sony Xbox one for Xmas and I don't need both. Its. Sony BDP s300. Like new.

Reaction Score
I think I still have the box and packing material.pm me if you want it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member