OT: Billy Donovan might replace Brooks as OKC coach | The Boneyard

OT: Billy Donovan might replace Brooks as OKC coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Embedded in the same article:

Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie would be a candidate for the Thunder's coaching job if it opens, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Ollie was a teammate with Durant and Russell Westbrook in Oklahoma City and an individual whom Presti holds in high esteem.

Reaction Score

Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie would be a candidate for the Thunder's coaching job if it opens, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Ollie was a teammate with Durant and Russell Westbrook in Oklahoma City and an individual whom Presti holds in high esteem.
I elected to ignore that portion of the article.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
KO's shine has worn off a bit from last off season. I would certainly be disappointed if he bolted after a down year like this past one. If this job was open a year ago I would have been really worried but I think KO's decision to remain at UConn after some NBA rumors a year ago has cemented him at the helm for the foreseeable future. It also helps that Billy D seems like he's the favorite and I think he makes the jump

I can't deal with another off season of worry. I hope this Donovan to OKC deal is one that happens quickly if they do happen to can Scottie Brooks. If Donovan passes then we can all collectively panic.

Reaction Score

I doubt Ollie would leave UConn (especially after this past season) to go to OKC when there is a strong possibility of KD leaving for Washington in free agency.

Reaction Score
I would be less confident this year than I was last year. Ollie's family situation was better last year, and was a major reason he wasn't interested in leaving CT. Also, the team was probably a lot less fun to coach this year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They've been looking for good reason to get rid of Brooks for a couple years. KD's injuries and making the playoffs has spared him the axe so far, but I think they're finally ready to move on.

No question KO would be a serious candidate. Based on the structure of his current contract, I think he expected it to open up a year from now, as his buyout for an NBA position drops precipitously then (while his buyout for another NCAA job does not).

Reaction Score
I'm surprised this isn't a bigger deal on the yard . There is no doubt that OKC job is probably better than coaching in the AAC, and it's a fact that KO would be higher than donovon as far as presti's targets

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm surprised this isn't a bigger deal on the yard . There is no doubt that OKC job is probably better than coaching in the AAC, and it's a fact that KO would be higher than donovon as far as presti's targets

Sounds like we have some disagreement as to what constitutes a "fact" around here.

Reaction Score
Just saw how much it would cost to buy him out , 5 mill is pretty steep .

Reaction Score
Brooks has a guaranteed contract next year. So if OKC wanted to hire Ollie, they would have to pay Brooks salary next year, Ollie's buyout, and Ollie's salary. That is a lot of money for a coach. Let's not forgot this is an organization that traded James Harden rather than paying the tax for a couple of years to try and win a championship.

Reaction Score
Yeah, KO's buyout and Woj mentioning Donovan as the top candidate will let me breath easy for now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Brooks has a guaranteed contract next year. So if OKC wanted to hire Ollie, they would have to pay Brooks salary next year, Ollie's buyout, and Ollie's salary. That is a lot of money for a coach. Let's not forgot this is an organization that traded James Harden rather than paying the tax for a couple of years to try and win a championship.

All true. I think they were all looking towards end of next season, but not making the playoffs this year and KD's contract situation (next season is final season of contract) complicate things. Hopefully in a good way for us, if they lock up Donovan instead.

I think a lot may depend on what KD thinks of Donovan.

Reaction Score

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
The main thing that continues to be in our favor is that KO bleeds UConn blue. It would be devastating for a former player turned coach left the program after such a short stint and such success for a job like OKC. Sure he has some ties there but those ties pale in comparison to what he has in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I remember donovon was basically the magic head coach until he got cold feet years ago . No idea what kind of coach he'll be at the next level , doesn't really have a lot of pro experience playing/coaching. If I were okc I would go with thibs once Chicago gets rid of him

Reaction Score
The main thing that continues to be in our favor is that KO bleeds UConn blue. It would be devastating for a former player turned coach left the program after such a short stint and such success for a job like OKC. Sure he has some ties there but those ties pale in comparison to what he has in Storrs.

Green beats blue.

Reaction Score
I dont think Ollie will leave in the next 5 years, but there is no question that other college coaches are using the NBA interest to scare kids away from committing to UConn.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I dont think Ollie will leave in the next 5 years, but there is no question that other college coaches are using the NBA interest to scare kids away from committing to UConn.
I wouldn't blame the lack of closing on the recruiting front on negative recruiting from opposing coaches of KO and the NBA...that's a cop out. There is negative recruiting points for almost any program that coaches have to answer to and deal with.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't blame the lack of closing on the recruiting front on negative recruiting from opposing coaches of KO and the NBA...that's a cop out. There is negative recruiting points for almost any program that coaches have to answer to and deal with.

Exactly. The Squid is linked to NBA jobs every year and he still gets every recruit he wants.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Exactly. The Squid is linked to NBA jobs every year and he still gets every recruit he wants.
Because they don't have to go to class!!

Hello!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky