OT: Bill Connelly Article on UMass | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Bill Connelly Article on UMass

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I looked it up and actually we were better than I remembered. That was the year we made the I-AA playoffs for the first time and won a playoff game before losing by 22 to Georgia Southern in the second round. UMass won 4 playoff games including the I-AA NC game against Georgia Southern.

I actually was following this closely that year. No doubt Southern took UMass lightly because they had lost twice to a team they smoked.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What, they needed to beat them 3 times in the same season to make that claim?

They needed to be better than UMass to make the claim. I was at both games. They were not better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They needed to be better than UMass to make the claim. I was at both games. They were not better.
One win could be a fluke, backing it up with an away win, less so. I have a friend like you. Knee-jerk contradictory 24/7. It gets boring and predictable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One win could be a fluke, backing it up with an away win, less so. I have a friend like you. Knee-jerk contradictory 24/7. It gets boring and predictable.

Sorry that’s not how sports work. There is a ton of variance in any given game, couple of games, series of games.

They won the games but weren’t the better team.

Funny you used the word fluke. The game at Amherst was the flukiest win since at least 1994. Diaco beating Houston wasn’t even close to what happened at UMass.

Reaction Score
Someone please refresh my memory. Why did we play UMass home and home in 1998?

DrG

Reaction Score
^ I believe it was a replacement game after BU dropped football in 1997 and left a void in the following year's schedule.

Reaction Score
The $$$$ in College Football is very very good, even for top D-1 programs' top assistants (6 figures). But at a certain level, at a later time of life, familiarity and comfort is important.
Hence Phil Estes being at Brown 20 years. Mark Whipple going back to the familiar after bouncing around. While the perks are good, moving around can be exhausting for the families.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom