OT: Big East gets football respect and praise. Oh my! | The Boneyard

OT: Big East gets football respect and praise. Oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"What could have been" is right.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well most of the BE teams who enjoyed any real success this past year won't be in the league in the future. UCONN can't get out of the BE fast enough. Let's all hope the Big 10 and 12 expand again. Most likely they poach the ACC which opens the door for UCONN.

I could see one of the Big (10/12) taking FSU and/or Va Tech. If they took both that would open the door nicely for UCONN and maybe USF? Who knows tho. I don't follow it that closely and I'm sure the experts out there have better or different scenarios in their projections...

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Well most of the BE teams who enjoyed any real success this past year won't be in the league in the future. UCONN can't get out of the BE fast enough. Let's all hope the Big 10 and 12 expand again. Most likely they poach the ACC which opens the door for UCONN.

I could see one of the Big (10/12) taking FSU and/or Va Tech. If they took both that would open the door nicely for UCONN and maybe USF? Who knows tho. I don't follow it that closely and I'm sure the experts out there have better or different scenarios in their projections...
The best option would be the B1G taking UVA and UNC; the SEC taking VA Tech and NC State; the Big 12 taking GA Tech, Clemson, Miami, and FSU. Then the Big East takes Duke and Wake and blackballs BCU, Cuse, Pitt, and Louisville. Especially BCU.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Remember that Virginia made it a condition that VA and VA Tech be in the same conference. It affected the original migration of teams out of the Big East.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of all the teams that have done really good things over the last few years, only one, Cincinnati, is left in what remains of the Big East and they're looking for a way out. UConn will continue to be bad as long as Pasqualoni is head coach and DeLeone is still coaching offense. USF went 3-9 and has been on a steady downwards slide since peaking several years ago.

The point of the article is that there were some pretty good teams in the Big East but the BE leadership is awful and has totally mismanaged the league, even before VA Tech, Miami and BC left. Since then, they fumbled around and managed to lose WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Louisville and Notre Dame. That's because those idiots still think the world is more interested in basketball than football. Why anyone in a football school would want to be in the Big East is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Even with all that has happened, it astonishes me how relatively stable collegiate sports remained throughout my lifetime, until this recent explosion of conference realignments. We are compelled to embrace change. Naturally, there are going to be things we like and things we do not like. I absolutely abhor this current trend of money mongering. As much as I try not to wish bad outcomes, it is sincerely hoped that all this money grabbing has an outcome similar to mortgage derivatives, but without the bailout.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Remember that Virginia made it a condition that VA and VA Tech be in the same conference. It affected the original migration of teams out of the Big East.

I don't think they'd use that ploy to hold back a team with a BIG offer as long as the rivalry game is contracted

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
Even with all that has happened, it astonishes me how relatively stable collegiate sports remained throughout my lifetime, until this recent explosion of conference realignments. We are compelled to embrace change. Naturally, there are going to be things we like and things we do not like. I absolutely abhor this current trend of money mongering. As much as I try not to wish bad outcomes, it is sincerely hoped that all this money grabbing has an outcome similar to mortgage derivatives, but without the bailout.

I agree. Plus, the risks of conference realignment and expansion do not appear to be appreciated very much, let alone anticipated.

While it may be just me, I think Boston College has gotten lost in the shuffle since bailing on its natural home in the Big East. Ditto for Miami. I don't see Rutgers fitting into the BiG very well, ditto Missouri in the SEC and Colorado in the PAC-12. I think it quite possible Louisville will regret jumping ship sooner rather than later. And, speaking of "sooner," WVA has next to nothing in common with its new rivals Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, let alone Baylor.

Those who stay put might end up surprising a lot of people in game and in financial outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom