OT: Bi-Lateral Knee Replacement? | The Boneyard

OT: Bi-Lateral Knee Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone here had both knees replaced? Need to make a decision on this soon and wanted to hear from others who might have undergone the same procedure. Thanks

Reaction Score
My buddy just had them both done this year. (he actually went to Chicago to a guy who would do both at the same time but he didn't go through with that) He went to NYC for them, one in february and the other last month. After his February replacement he was playing golf all of April until the most recent in May. He is planning on playing in an outing we play in on June 18th. He had some grueling rehab it seemed but he is quite happy with the results. I don't know all of the medical details but can ask him anything you may want to know dp?

Reaction Score
Anyone here had both knees replaced? Need to make a decision on this soon and wanted to hear from others who might have undergone the same procedure. Thanks

I don't have any direct experience with knee replacements, but I have some tangential info that might be relevant. I've had 5 ligaments replaced (all 4 in one knee and 1 in the other) and I also worked as an engineer that designed knees and hips for a bit.

My 4 ligament procedure was the result of the ski accident and required extensive rehab (nearly 2 years)...much more than will be required for what you are doing.

What I observed and learned from talking with my PT, was that because knee therapy can be a bit daunting and painful for some people, many do not go back for the second knee after having the first one done because they don't want to go through the rehab again. If you don't have the second one done, then you risk other complications like improper wear on the replaced knee

You will be much more incapacitated for a short time because both knees will be non weight bearing at the outset. They will probably have in an inpatient facility for a bit longer because of this.

But, if it was me, and having done a lot of knee PT, I would do both at the same time. You are in the facility anyway, why not do both...to me, the effort to rehab 2 knees at the same time is only incrementally harder than doing one. Otherwise you have to go through the same process all over again...Plus it takes twice as long....if you don't change your mind

The one caveat is that you want to be really really comfortable with your Dr. I know people that have had 1 knee done and had issues....you don't want someone messing up both knees.

Last piece of advise...make sure you do your PT diligently...try to get into as good a shape as possible before your surgery..you will be amazed at how quickly the let atrophies.

Good luck! Everyone I know that has had it done has the same response...why didn't I do this sooner...I am now pain free

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My wife had her hip replaced at the Hospital for Special Surgery 7 years ago (a great hospital for joint replacement BTW) and she was in the recovery room with 10-12 other patients all with knee replacements. All but one had both knees done and were hooked up to double machines which elevated and rotated both knees. Of course all were on morphine drips. I asked why so many had two done at once. Standard response if you had it done once you wouldn't want to have it done again.

Reaction Score
Played tennis last weekend with a guy who had his done bi-lateral at Hospital for Special Surgery. He said he was in for 5 days then came home. The first 2+ weeks were tough, he said! but he was very happy with the results. He's strong-willed and probably worked hard during his PT. He was moving around pretty well on the court for a guy around 70.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My brother-in law had them both done at once. He was in great shape and it was still tough, but he got it all over with at once. Another friend had them one at a time. She was older & not in great shape. She would not have done well trying both.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
My grandmother had it done back in 1983, but I imagine the methods have changed since then.

Reaction Score
Most Docs don't recommend doing both at the same time because it basically puts you in a wheel chair. Difficult decision and I hope that you make the best one for you.

Reaction Score
Had both knees done in Minneapolis a year apart. My MD wouldn't do both at the same time as in his mind, it increased the risk of infection.
Has ended up being the best thing I ever did.
Not saying that the rehab isn't tough, because it is... But after a year of being pain free, being able to bend down, walk up and down stairs, you realize what a difference it makes..
Also, because my knees were so bowed, after my surgery, I'm an inch and a half taller!

Reaction Score
I had both knees replaced about 2 years ago. I'm a bit younger than most who have the procedure so I was able to handle it.

My thought is that I didn't want to go back as soon as I started feeling better. I ended up having to spend 3 days in the hospital and then another week at a rehab facility. I was walking around fine by the time I left the rehab facility.

Send me a PM if you'd like more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky