OT: Best Sports Bar for March Madness | The Boneyard

OT: Best Sports Bar for March Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is tough not seeing UConn in the field this year but I have the entire week off to view the games with some buddies. Looking for some suggestions for a great sports bar that would be pretty lively and have good food as well. I have heard about Bobby V's in Windsor Locks but haven't been yet. Are there any other sports bars that you all would suggest in the Hartford area.

Thanks!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Seeing as I've taken the first Friday of the tournament as my own personal holiday for the last 15 years, hopefully I can shed a little insight. In no particular order :
Wood n Tap - good food, not a lot of TVs... Overall not a great game watching spot... Just a good restaurant.
Chicago Sam's - I haven't been in years, but it used to be a solid option.
Buffalo Wild Wings - more HDTVs than you can watch at one time, which is a blessing and a curse. Great atmosphere, beer specials... mediocre wings/food.
Sliders - great all around for wings/food/beer/TVs.
Bobby Vs - tons of TVs, plus the ginormous centerpiece screen. Honestly though, kinda feels overpriced for what you get. Worth checking out at least once though.
Dave and Busters - good fun place all around. Haven't been for March madness yet, but I could see it being a good option.

This past week, a new sports bar called Arooga's opened at Mohegan... So that's where I'll be spending this Friday.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There's a couple good bars that show NIT games. I've never been to them, but I hear they have beer.

Reaction Score
Thanks Mike,

We wanted to do Aroogas but decided that we may want them to work out the kinks before we go.

Can you expand on Bobby V's? if you don't mind?

Thanks!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, Bobby V's isn't bad per se. TONS of TVs, so good game watching from that perspective. They just try to go a little more upscale, a little more pricey (I don't recall any good specials the day I went during March Madness last year)... And the food I'd describe as fine.

Reaction Score
Chicago Sam's (formerly Rookies) in Cromwell is everything you need. The place is huge, a million TV's, bunch of big screens, huge bar, good food for cheap. Since the new owners took over the place is spotless and has been renovated with new restrooms and more seating on the "nightclub" side.

Plus, they're my client.:rolleyes:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just checking back in to say : Arooga's is a great sports bar. It's better than Buffalo Wild Wings in every way... Food, drinks, and wings (TVs I'd call a draw, as they are both well stocked). Great place to watch March Madness games. Where did you end up, @UConnKev ?

Reaction Score
Just don't understand the love for BWW. Have to try Arooga.

Reaction Score
We ended up at Bobby V's. We enjoyed it overall and it was packed at noon. Can't really complain about the food or service. I can see how it can get expensive in a hurry.

I'll be at Rookies tonight (I know it is now Chicago Sams).

Reaction Score
We ended up at Bobby V's. We enjoyed it overall and it was packed at noon. Can't really complain about the food or service. I can see how it can get expensive in a hurry.

I'll be at Rookies tonight (I know it is now Chicago Sams).

Bobby V's a nice, foods solid and the drinks are small and expensive. It's only okay for "events" although last years Iowa State Husky game was real fun there.

Either Chi Sams is really good for the atmosphere and overall value. Tend to lean towards the ole Rookies since we watched our 1st NC there, every game from the BE tourney on - but they're both excellent. If you're looking for the hotter waitress/bartenders its not close - Cromwell;)

Reaction Score
I grew up in Cromwell and remember when it was called Ashley's. It used to be a huge townie bar until recently. They have made great strides into improving the overall atmosphere. Definitely classed the place up a little bit.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Cromwell and remember when it was called Ashley's. It used to be a huge townie bar until recently. They have made great strides into improving the overall atmosphere. Definitely classed the place up a little bit.

Ashley's and prior to that what was it, Penny Corner Pub and something else? Back in the day Oscar's was a great joint for some late night cocktails and rendezvous too.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom