OT: Best Sitcom Character Actors of All Time | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Sitcom Character Actors of All Time

Reaction Score
Costanza is in a league of his own. I've seen every episode so many times and I'm still in stitches nearly every time I catch a random episode. That show has aged better than I expected; the writing was so unbelievably good. A perfect mix of hilarity, witty, and awkward. It's interesting to juxtapose it with a show like The Office, which I couldn't stand, and other modern shows where the "humor" is just incredible awkwardness. I don't know when we reached that point where simple awkwardness passed as comedy but whatever. Granted I never made it very far in The Office, my favorite scenes were ones that didn't involve Michael Scott. He was too stupid and too cringy without actually being funny. Dwight was a far better character. #oldmanyellsatcloud

Archie Bunker and Al Bundy round out my top three.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Darrell, Darrell, and my other brother Darrell.

Correction.
My brain is getting old...yes Larry, my brother Darrell and my other brother Darrell.
Thanks Waquoit.
I was watching that show real time when they made their first appearance. I was still laughing the next day.

Reaction Score
Ted Danson was only mentioned once in this thread = Fail.

Cheers is incredibly dated to watch today (as is Seinfeld, really), but it was a classic for its time and quite ground breaking. If the pilot performed today like it did in 1982, there would not have been a second episode, let alone 11 years and 274 more episodes.

I agree that Cheers is dated. It's a campy, one-liner 80s sitcom. I still enjoy it though. I don't think Seinfeld is dated outside of the references; the writing and cleverness/witty nature of that show, along with the absurd cast of abhorrent characters, still hasn't been matched and is still fresh and funny today.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
John Mahoney was the best performer on Frasier. His character was also the best by a wide margin. I really liked Roz too but think that was more the result of the "changes" I was going through at the time.

Reaction Score
The OP asked for character/supporting actor. That is probably why Mayday Malone was not mentioned. Mostly people ignored though. Two of the first responses were Al Bundy and Archie Bunker.

Reaction Score
Costanza is in a league of his own. I've seen every episode so many times and I'm still in stitches nearly every time I catch a random episode. That show has aged better than I expected; the writing was so unbelievably good. A perfect mix of hilarity, witty, and awkward. It's interesting to juxtapose it with a show like The Office, which I couldn't stand, and other modern shows where the "humor" is just incredible awkwardness. I don't know when we reached that point where simple awkwardness passed as comedy but whatever. Granted I never made it very far in The Office, my favorite scenes were ones that didn't involve Michael Scott. He was too stupid and too cringy without actually being funny. Dwight was a far better character. #oldmanyellsatcloud

Archie Bunker and Al Bundy round out my top three.
Michael Scott is the funniest character in TV history for me and while liking Seinfeld at the time I'm not as much of a fan anymore. To each his own.

Reaction Score
I agree that Cheers is dated. It's a campy, one-liner 80s sitcom. I still enjoy it though. I don't think Seinfeld is dated outside of the references; the writing and cleverness/witty nature of that show, along with the absurd cast of abhorrent characters, still hasn't been matched and is still fresh and funny today.
Cheers is much better than Seinfeld. IMO. Again, to each his own.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Dan larroqette night court

John Larroquette played Dan Fielding on Night Court.

Side note: He had to have had one of the best records in the office. It seemed like Judge Stone doled out "$50 fine and time served," to everyone who came before his bench.

Reaction Score
Cheers is much better than Seinfeld. IMO. Again, to each his own.

Cheers definitely had greater mass appeal at the time (Seinfield may have passed it towards its end); it was a far safer, more familiar and relatable show though still breaking new ground in some episodes. It was a great show. Seinfeld was unique and threw out most writing/character norms of the time. All the worries at the start of being too Jewish or too New York were valid. The show definitely isn't for everyone.

Most humor is subjective. I love Seinfield but can't stand Curb Your Enthusiasm (again, just feels more cringe than actual humor). The Office has a huge following and outside of Michael Scott, I see the appeal. The only show I can't understand how anyone finds funny if Brooklyn 99. There's a weird cult following for that show. I've watched a few episodes with my wife and we never cracked a grin, let alone laughed.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Michael Scott is the funniest character in TV history for me and while liking Seinfeld at the time I'm not as much of a fan anymore. To each his own.
Seinfeld added so much to the lexicon a lot still survives today...and that's without the help of reruns, unless you count Hulu.

Where George Costanza falls off a little for me is when I found out he was basically doing a Larry David impression.

Reaction Score
Seinfeld added so much to the lexicon a lot still survives today...and that's without the help of reruns, unless you count Hulu.

Where George Costanza falls off a little for me is when I found out he was basically doing a Larry David impression.

Curious as to why the source inspiration matters to you. Every character is inspired by something/someone. Funny that he started doing a Woody Allen impression and then moved to a Larry David impression. I think it's also ironic that George did a far better job "playing" Larry David than Larry does in Curb. Just my opinion, of course.

The amazing part about Seinfield's cultural impact nowadays is how many younger people say Seinfieldisms without knowing it came from Seinfield. There's a video on YouTube where a guy shows a group of 18-21 year olds a bunch of famous Seinfield clips and most of the kids are shocked that the saying came from Seinfield.

From yada, yada, yada to double-dipper to regift to Festivus. The list is absurd. I don't know that any other show has come close to the lasting cultural impact.

Husky25

Reaction Score
By the way, in terms of current shows. I am really enjoying Hank Azaria in Brockmire. Azaria has the distinction of also voicing Moe, Chief Wiggum, and Apu on The Simpsons and he was Nat "the Dog Walker" on Mad About You.

One of the greatest lines is when Wiggum answers the phone and says, "No you got the wrong number. This is 9-1...2." Cracks me up to this day.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Curious as to why the source inspiration matters to you. Every character is inspired by something/someone.

Good question. I don't know exactly. Maybe because the inspiration is a pseudo/ full on celebrity in their own right, but who is also playing a character. It just diminished the magic that was George a bit.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Curious as to why the source inspiration matters to you. Every character is inspired by something/someone. Funny that he started doing a Woody Allen impression and then moved to a Larry David impression. I think it's also ironic that George did a far better job "playing" Larry David than Larry does in Curb. Just my opinion, of course.

The amazing part about Seinfield's cultural impact nowadays is how many younger people say Seinfieldisms without knowing it came from Seinfield. There's a video on YouTube where a guy shows a group of 18-21 year olds a bunch of famous Seinfield clips and most of the kids are shocked that the saying came from Seinfield.

From yada, yada, yada to double-dipper to regift to Festivus. The list is absurd. I don't know that any other show has come close to the lasting cultural impact.
Kramerica! they should change the name of dat show to 'a guide to everyday life' cuz it is.
re-gifting, manhands, low-talker, anti-dentite, no soup for u, not that theres anything wrong with that, serenity now, soup nazi, hoochie mama, the sea was angry that day my friends, gotta see the baby, they're real and they're spectacular, can't spare a square, moops, stella, jerkstore, .... shrinkage! am I crazy, or am I just so sane that I blew your mind?

Reaction Score
Bill Daily. The greatest nutty neighbor in TV history.

He first stint as a nutty neighbor was as astronaut Major Roger Healey on "I Dream of Jeannie."

He folllowed that as Howard Borden another great nutty neighbor role on "The Bob Newhart Show." Borden was eternally jet lagged because of his job as an airplane navigator, which also served an an excuse for his bizarre behavior. Daily played the foil flawlessly for Newhart, incredible chemistry.

He was always the funniest thing on any show he appeared.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom