OT: Best multi-sport male athlete ever? | The Boneyard

OT: Best multi-sport male athlete ever?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Who is in your opinion the best multi-sport male athlete - ever? This person was the only male athlete to ever be name a high school All-American first team in same year in three sports - basketball, baseball, and football. He was drafted by a MLB team in his senior year in high school. In college he played basketball and was a two time All-American and a NPOY. He holds (?) the NCAA record for scoring in double digits in 112 consecutive games. While in college he played in the MLB, not the minors, the BIGS! While in the NBA he was an integral part of two NBA championships. Did you select this guy?
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Dont know who you're referring to but best athlete IMO is Bo Jackson.
Bo does not hold a candle to Danny Ainge! :cool::D Seriously you don't know who is Danny Ainge? :eek::oops::(

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Two guys who need to be mentioned are Joe Mauer and Carl Crawford.

Mauer was the #1 overall pick in the MLB draft out of HS, was one of the best QB prospects in recent history, and an all-state basketball player.

Crawford was a guy who went in the 2nd round of the MLb draft, and could've been the QB at Nebraska or the PG at UCLA.

Two just amazing athletes.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not sure what your criteria is, but I'd have to go with Jackie Robinson. From Wiki:

At Muir Tech, Robinson played several sports at the varsity level and lettered in four of them: football, basketball, track, and baseball.[15] He played shortstop and catcher on the baseball team, quarterback on the football team, and guard on the basketball team. With the track and field squad, he won awards in the broad jump. He was also a member of the tennis team.[23]

In 1936, Robinson won the junior boys singles championship in the annual Pacific Coast Negro Tennis Tournament and earned a place on the Pomona annual baseball tournament all-star team, which included future Hall of Famers Ted Williams and Bob Lemon.[24] In late January 1937, the Pasadena Star-News newspaper reported that Robinson "for two years has been the outstanding athlete at Muir, starring in football, basketball, track, baseball and tennis."[25]

Pasadena Junior College
After Muir, Robinson attended Pasadena Junior College (PJC), where he continued his athletic career by participating in basketball, football, baseball, and track.[26] On the football team, he played quarterback and safety. He was a shortstop and leadoff hitter for the baseball team, and he broke school broad-jump records held by his brother Mack.[15] As at Muir High School, most of Jackie's teammates were white.[24] While playing football at PJC, Robinson suffered a fractured ankle, complications from which would eventually delay his deployment status while in the military.[27][28] In 1938, he was elected to the All-Southland Junior College Team for baseball and selected as the region's Most Valuable Player.[22][29]

UCLA and afterward

Robinson doing the long jump for UCLA
After graduating from PJC in spring 1939,[36] Robinson enrolled at UCLA, where he became the school's first athlete to win varsity letters in four sports: baseball, basketball, football, and track.[37][38]

He was one of four black players on the Bruins' 1939 football team; the others were Woody Strode, Kenny Washington, and Ray Bartlett. Washington, Strode, and Robinson made up three of the team's four backfield players.[39] At a time when only a few black students played mainstream college football, this made UCLA college football's most integrated team.[40][41] They went undefeated with four ties at 6–0–4.[42]

In track and field, Robinson won the 1940 NCAA championship in the long jump at 24 ft 10 1⁄4 in (7.58 m).[43] Belying his future career, Robinson's "worst sport" at UCLA was baseball; he hit .097 in his only season, although in his first game he went 4-for-4 and twice stole home.[44]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
e56.jpg

Can't stand that man! He was a punk and an irritant-still is. Jim Thorpe, Dieon Sanders, Jackie Robinson. Bo Jackson, Wilt Chamberlain, Brian Jordan were all much better two sport athletes that Ainge.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'd vote for Jim Thorpe. He played pro baseball in addition to being one of the best football players and track athletes of his generation.

Jim Brown was no slouch either. He was an all-American in football and lacrosse in college, plus was a top-five finisher in the NCAA decathlon.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not sure what your criteria is, but I'd have to go with Jackie Robinson. From Wiki:

At Muir Tech, Robinson played several sports at the varsity level and lettered in four of them: football, basketball, track, and baseball.[15] He played shortstop and catcher on the baseball team, quarterback on the football team, and guard on the basketball team. With the track and field squad, he won awards in the broad jump. He was also a member of the tennis team.[23]

In 1936, Robinson won the junior boys singles championship in the annual Pacific Coast Negro Tennis Tournament and earned a place on the Pomona annual baseball tournament all-star team, which included future Hall of Famers Ted Williams and Bob Lemon.[24] In late January 1937, the Pasadena Star-News newspaper reported that Robinson "for two years has been the outstanding athlete at Muir, starring in football, basketball, track, baseball and tennis."[25]

Pasadena Junior College
After Muir, Robinson attended Pasadena Junior College (PJC), where he continued his athletic career by participating in basketball, football, baseball, and track.[26] On the football team, he played quarterback and safety. He was a shortstop and leadoff hitter for the baseball team, and he broke school broad-jump records held by his brother Mack.[15] As at Muir High School, most of Jackie's teammates were white.[24] While playing football at PJC, Robinson suffered a fractured ankle, complications from which would eventually delay his deployment status while in the military.[27][28] In 1938, he was elected to the All-Southland Junior College Team for baseball and selected as the region's Most Valuable Player.[22][29]

UCLA and afterward

Robinson doing the long jump for UCLA
After graduating from PJC in spring 1939,[36] Robinson enrolled at UCLA, where he became the school's first athlete to win varsity letters in four sports: baseball, basketball, football, and track.[37][38]

He was one of four black players on the Bruins' 1939 football team; the others were Woody Strode, Kenny Washington, and Ray Bartlett. Washington, Strode, and Robinson made up three of the team's four backfield players.[39] At a time when only a few black students played mainstream college football, this made UCLA college football's most integrated team.[40][41] They went undefeated with four ties at 6–0–4.[42]

In track and field, Robinson won the 1940 NCAA championship in the long jump at 24 ft 10 1⁄4 in (7.58 m).[43] Belying his future career, Robinson's "worst sport" at UCLA was baseball; he hit .097 in his only season, although in his first game he went 4-for-4 and twice stole home.[44]
I believe Jackie also played lacrosse as well. Yeah, Jackie gets my vote. Hall of Fame BB player, would have been HOF football player as well. Jim Thorpe was a beast too although time has pushed him to the side. Bo however, while he played, was great at two sports whereas Ainge was average at all of his.

Reaction Score
My favorite is Jim Thorpe, but the question was multi-sport athlete. Track isn't really a specialty sport but is basically a gage of athletic ability and the criteria was not "Best Athlete" but best multi sport athlete". One could be a great athlete and still not do that well in certain sports that require developed skills. Being that Danny was named All American in the three major sports ( requiring specific developed skills) I would agree that he qualifies.

There are many good athletes who play multiple sports in high school, but how many are first team All American in all of them. No one but him. While many people hated him, I know that Danny was key piece of the Celtics Dynasty. Most Celtic fans were hoping he would chose Basketball over baseball.

Average player in all of them = I think not. He won all the Awards in his Senior season in basketball. And he didn't stay in baseball very long, just when he was still in college.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Jim Thorpe, two Olympic gold medals, Major League Baseball, and college and pro football Hall of Fame.

Further down on the list but a sentimental nod to Gene Conley, who passed away last July. Gene was a very good pitcher and a solid backup center for the Celtics. Only individual to win a World Series ring (Milwaukee, 1957) and NBA title (Celtics, three times 1959-1961). Played basketball for the Hartford Capitols in the mid to late sixties, they used to play at Hartford High. Also pitched for the Hartford Chiefs in 1951 (my Uncle was his teammate and spoke highly of him). Four time MLB all star and winning pitcher in 1955 all star game. Played for Boston Braves, Red Sox and Celtics.

Interestingly enough, the only individual to be a first round draft pick in both baseball and basketball? Scott Burrell, of course. Won a ring with Bulls in 1998.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Bo I think is number one. He was better in baseball than Ainge was.

Bob Hayes was a great sprinter and a good WR for the Cowboys during Landrys days in Dallas.

A stretch from the early 70's--Gilles Villemure. A good goalie for the NY Rangers, although back up to Eddie Giacomin and he was also a a driver at the trotters at Roosevelt Raceway on Long Island.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lots of choices here.

Jim Brown was arguably the best football player AND lacrosse player ever.

Jim Thorpe was legendary.

Wilt Chamberlain was a stud. One of the best basketball players ever and a track and field star.

Bob Hayes and O.J. Simpson excelled at football and track and field.

Dave Winfield was a THREE-sport star.

Bo Jackson and Dion Sanders were greats.

Dave DeBusschere was a decent MLB pitcher for a short while and a basketball hall of famer.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I cannot find fault with either Ainge or Robinson. Ainge was a great player on the Celtics. He came to a team that was loaded with talent, and won a starting position. It was said at the time, that he was the only started who did not have offensive plays called for him. I remember that every Celtic game I attended,(some in Hartford), he would be the only player who pressed his man full-court; and, that player was always the point guard. He was a true hustler.

As stated above, Robinson was a standout in every sport he participated in. Because of the era he played in, he did not get true recognition. If you ask most people today about him, they would only remember him as a baseball player.

Reaction Score
Vic Hanson should not be forgotten. He's the only member of both the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame -- he was a three-time All-American in both football and basketball -- and he was also the captain of his college baseball team and signed by the Yankees. Since football, basketball, and baseball are the three main American sports, and since Hanson was arguably the most accomplished across all three of them, he definitely has a place in this discussion.

Reaction Score
Let's add Charlie Ward to the mix.

Scott Burrell threw the most famous pass in UConn history; A natural choice to make that pass.

John Elway was a decent baseball player.

Wasn't there a two sports pro named Conley back in the 60's.

Julius Peppers, Donovan McNabb, Russell Wilson, Michael Jordan, Tracy McGrady, and Tony Gonzalez deserve mention. And who can forget guys like Ernie Ladd, Wahoo McDaniel, Big Daddy Lipscomb.

As far as actual accomplishments in two different sports, Bo knows.
1. Bo Jackson
2. Deion Sanders

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Let's add Charlie Ward to the mix.

Scott Burrell threw the most famous pass in UConn history; A natural choice to make that pass.

John Elway was a decent baseball player.

Wasn't there a two sports pro named Conley back in the 60's.

Julius Peppers, Donovan McNabb, Russell Wilson, Michael Jordan, Tracy McGrady, and Tony Gonzalez deserve mention. And who can forget guys like Ernie Ladd, Wahoo McDaniel, Big Daddy Lipscomb.

As far as actual accomplishments in two different sports, Bo knows.
1. Bo Jackson
2. Deion Sanders
I forgot about Charlie Ward.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'm not offering a candidate, but I do remember reading a quote from the Forward-from-French-Lick,
saying that Dennis Johnson was the best guard he'd ever played with. Hmmm

Doesn't address best multi-sport athlete premise.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
'Conley' was Gene Conley. Basketball in the NBA and pitched for the Red Sox....maybe others.
There has been a story out there forever that Gene and a Sox teammate [forget who] at some point during the season decided that they would go to Israel on a whim....and did so.

This Date In Red Sox History: July 26 - Gene Conley And Pumpsie Green Vanish

My bad....they tried to go to Israel but were thwarted by the airport officials.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom