OT - Best Fried Seafood in CT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT - Best Fried Seafood in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's been a LONG time, but when I was a kid, Jimmies of Savin Rock was the be-all, end-all. My guess is that the nostalgia is better than the taste.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Last time I was there was probably 30 years ago. I remember waiting for a table foooooorever as a kid. Anybody know if Jimmy's is still there and whether it's still any good?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Are they flying the lobsters in from the East Coast, too? If so, that makes sense. If not, I can't imagine anyone who was ever a fan of New England lobster finding a Pacific lobster remotely comparable, much less better.

Definitely a matter of taste.

I also have theory about salt/salinity. I think people develop a preference for the taste/smell of the salt in the air and water that is local/regional to them. Eating raw oysters drives this home for me. I have a very strong preference for oysters from the Northeast, especially the Maritimes, but also Maine, Rhode Island, MA and CT (I'm also a the-colder-the-water-the-better-the-oyster guy). As I've tried to figure out why I don't like raw West Coast oysters or Gulf Coast oysters nearly as much, I've deduced that a lot of it has to do with the salinity. Then I thought about things like the salt-sea air. When I smell the salt in the air around New England--even the strong low-tide, swampy smell--it's refreshing to me. When I smell it in, say, New Orleans, it smells off, swampy and kind of stale to me. Not refreshing at all. But in talking with locals down there, they have the opposite reaction.

I can taste the difference between a Maine lobster and a LI sound lobster. Real cold water makes the lobster meat a little sweeter. They benefit just like Oysters. I have no problem eating LI sound lobsters though. My father had a personal use Lobster License - up to 10 Pots (he had boats in Pilots point for 30 years) and man did I eat a lot of LI sound lobster back in the day. My mother made him quit when he got older and one time was out there alone and went over the side of the boat while trying to pull up a snagged Pot. Lobsters have really declined in the sound though. Some is environment some is the return of the Monster Striped bass. Lobsters are terrified of Striped bass, big Striped bass swallow Lobsters whole. Its no coinicndence that 25-30 years ago when Striped bass were almost extinct around here that the Lobsters were flourishing. Now that Stripers have made a comeback the lobsters are dwindling.

Reaction Score
Mickey's in East Hartford does good fried fish. The fish sandwich is a steal M-W at only $4.29.

Waq, do you know if that's the same Mickey's that used to be on the Silas Deane in Wethersfield? Great chili dogs and fried clams a long time ago there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Waq, do you know if that's the same Mickey's that used to be on the Silas Deane in Wethersfield? Great chili dogs and fried clams a long time ago there.

I know they were associated. Not sure if it was an try at expansion or franchising.

Reaction Score
I'm in Maryland this weekend. There's usually a lot of good steamed seafood around here, and I've also had some great soft shell crabs here when I've felt like putting in the effort. I'll see if anything fried catches my eye while I'm here. Fried whole bellies sound great to me right now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Interesting thought. Not sure I fit the bill, but I'm open to the point. I was saying this summer, I've been lucky enough to have oysters (I love 'em) from Wellfleet, MA, Chesapeake Bay, MD, New Orleans, LA and the Puget Sound in Seattle, WA. Almost the "4 corners" of the US oyster world. The Puget Sound oysters were the best I've ever had. Very clean tasting, not at all like low tide. I'd put Wellfleet 2nd, then Chesapeake Bay and last, New Orleans. I did think they were really swampy. Didn't stop me from eating almost 2 dozen....but you get my point.
For me, it's a matter of the oyster meat itself (size, composition, texture) and the brine in which it sits; the salt/salinity only comes into play with respect to the latter. As I understand it, and without refreshing my memory, there are different strains of oysters, and almost all of the East Coast oysters are based on the Virginica strain; while most of the West Coast oysters are based on a different strain (don't recall the name). In any event, there is one West Coast oyster that I consistently love equally if not better than any East Coast oyster, the Totten Inlet Virginica. That's an oyster from Puget Sound, but as the name suggests, it is an East Coast strain. I wonder if that's one of the ones you preferred.

Also, many places have really upped their games in recent years with oyster farming. Rhode Island has been especially innovative and consistently farms great tasting oysters (URI has great programs for this). Matunuck Oyster Bar, cited above, has benefited greatly and iirc is somehow connected with the whole local farming program. I've also been shocked recently by some outstanding Alabama oysters I had in New Orleans. The waiter sensed my East Coast oyster snobbery and challenged me to try the Alabama ones, which he explained in some detail with respect to the farming, proprietor, selection, etc. I have to admit, they were every bit as good as the Northeast oysters I prefer, and again they were the Virginica strain.

The Gulf Coast oysters I usually get in New Orleans are simply too big, too flaccid and not briny enough for me to enjoy raw. But I eat them cooked a dozen different ways on most trips down there.

Reaction Score
Abbotts has no fried food, but Costello's (for real) next door does. Never ate there however.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Re the oysters, I should add that the best place on the planet to get a tour of the best, freshest oysters available and compare the differences side-by-side is the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station. It's a rare trip to the city for me that doesn't involve at least a dozen as soon as I get off the train (basically, only Sundays, when they are closed). Incredible selection and classic joint.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I really shouldnt do this, and I blame it on all of you, but my mouth has been watering for 24 hours....

I am compelled to got to Johnny Ads right this second. About to head out the door.
Maybe Ill periscope my delicious whole bellies (or lobster roll, Im having trouble deciding) as payback for putting this in my head.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I really shouldnt do this, and I blame it on all of you, but my mouth has been watering for 24 hours....

I am compelled to got to Johnny Ads right this second. About to head out the door.
Maybe Ill periscope my delicious whole bellies (or lobster roll, Im having trouble deciding) as payback for putting this in my head.
Whatever you do, get the chowder too.

I vote scallop roll there though.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Whoa! Market price off the hook right now!
ii6cPMS.jpg

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
OK, review time.
You guys got me jonesin for these because of this thread, and my jones was satisfied. They were good.
But
here is a rule of thumb
High Market Price (and right now is as high as Ive probably ever paid, and it makes sense, its not in season yet) is not just about spending money it speaks to the quality (mostly size) of the clam. High market means that (obvious statement coming) the clams are scarce. When scarcity is an issue it effects the size of the clams. Smaller ones are taken. The whole bellies pictured above are on the smaller size side. I like my whole bellies big, fat and gooey. If I dont get most of my bites chock-full of briny, sandy snot, I feel a little cheated. There were a few of those on this plate but not many. Much of the plate was like eating a glorified clam strip.

That being said the frying was spot on as it always is at Johnny Ad's . Always crunchy but not overcooked and never greasy. and OP you and your wife would like them way better than fish tale simply because they use a standard oil instead of peanut oil and I think that is what doesnt agree with your taste at Fish tale.
The size of the clams on the market are not Johnny Ad's fault.

Reaction Score
End of May heading to CT and we were looking forward to revisiting Dinos. Seems they've gone downhill.
So what can people recommend? Thanks in advance.
Fried is not good for you. Tasty, yes, but not good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not exactly in keeping with the thread title, but since it has evolved into a general seafood discussion, the John Dory signature special at Adrianna's in New Haven, which I just had for lunch for the fourth time in as many weeks, is hands down my favorite seafood meal in CT. There are many great dishes on their menu, but I love that dish so much I just can't keep from ordering it every time lately.

Reaction Score
At pasta cosi in Branford as we speak and 2 people just ordered their John dory special looks phenomenonal

Reaction Score
But still worth it :)
5NMZVWs.jpg
Looks good but why do so many of these places use store bought crinkle cut fries? That's one thing about Chicago I love, they take their fries seriously. You could go to the dingiest hole in the wall and they are still slicing fries on the spot, blanching them and double frying.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At pasta cosi in Branford as we speak and 2 people just ordered their John dory special looks phenomenonal
Been a big fan since they were in that little BYOB joint next to the laundromat in Indian Neck and have followed them from location to location, but I really hate how cramped the room is in their present location. Still love their jarred sauces (especially their Arrabiata), and their eggplant lasagna with Bolognese is as good as it gets.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Looks good but why do so many of these places use store bought crinkle cut fries? That's one thing about Chicago I love, they take their fries seriously. You could go to the dingiest hole in the wall and they are still slicing fries on the spot, blanching them and double frying.

Do you even New England, Bro?

Reaction Score
Been a big fan since they were in that little BYOB joint next to the laundromat in Indian Neck and have followed them from location to location, but I really hate how cramped the room is in their present location. Still love their jarred sauces (especially their Arrabiata), and their eggplant lasagna with Bolognese is as good as it gets.

Great food. Agreed gets little cramped but enjoy the atmosphere and regulars.

Love their salsicce it's my go to dish with the burrata to start comes on a toasted piece of bread with fig jam I believe . They just added a steak menu also recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom