OT: Best BBQ in CT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best BBQ in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping Bear doesn't get too big, too soon to the detriment of the brisket. There has been no sign of it to date, imo.

Reaction Score
had to include these real bar-b-que joints, though not in Ct. If you're ever in Central Texas, I recommend;
In Lockhart, Texas;
* Kreuz Meat Market and Bar-b-que
* Blacks Bar-b-que
* Smittys Bar-b-que
In Luling, Texas;
* City Market
In Elgin, Texas;
* Southside Market
In Llano, Texas:
* Coopers Pit Bar-b-que

You will not go wrong with any of these, guaranteed!
So years ago I went to a Texas Bar-b-que in the San Antonio area (sadly. I don't remember the name)… Basically was a gas station/barbeque… My expectation were not high but it ended up being the finest barbecue I had ever experienced… The Texan I was with ordered large bucket of creamed corn which I was super skeptical about. Well, this sweet buttery mix of liquid cholesterol was as memorable as the many fine cuts of beef & pork.

Just wondering if any of the CT Bar-b-ques carry their own version of this sweet concoction???

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So years ago I went to a Texas Bar-b-que in the San Antonio area (sadly. I don't remember the name)… Basically was a gas station/barbeque… My expectation were not high but it ended up being the finest barbecue I had ever experienced… The Texan I was with ordered large bucket of creamed corn which I was super skeptical about. Well, this sweet buttery mix of liquid cholesterol was as memorable as the many fine cuts of beef & pork.

Just wondering if any of the CT Bar-b-ques carry their own version of this sweet concoction???

Oh man - Rudy's "chopped spicy" still haunts my dreams. I think @Waquoit nailed it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To tie it into this board, we hit Rudy's twice during the 2004 FF. IIRC, if you think of the spur surrounding SA as a clock, Rudy's is around 11 or so. My buddy was giving me crap for taking us to a gas station to eat, but spent the rest of the weekend wanting to return. And I remember having no use for creamed corn. Until they offered a taste. It was like a drug dealer offering your first fix for free.

Reaction Score
Rudy's is a chain and it does not compare to the others I mentioned. If you want real Texas Bar-b-que, try those others. If you want an introduction to Texas Bar-b-que, go to Rudy's. I'm not saying Rudy's isn't any good, they are, but they are not in the same class as those others. Rudy's is a chain and they are all over Texas. Trust me, I know good eats when I taste em cause' I weigh in at over 300 lbs, I love Bar-b-que and I didn't get this way by eating salads or sampling - food!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
OP was spot on: nothing beats Chili's baby backs!

And for dessert, there's nothing better than a home-cooked Hot Apple Pie from Mickey D's!

Reaction Score
And for dessert, there's nothing better than a home-cooked Hot Apple Pie from Mickey D's![/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the old school deep fried Hot Apple Pie (v. baked)? That was killer!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE] News flash: I heard last week in the Westport Y sauna that Bobby Q's has closed. We shared a nice meal there, and our first flight of Bourbon.[/QUOTE]

CORRECTION: I'm currently on Main St in Westport and reports of Bobby Q's death are greatly exaggerated. The kitchen is closed on weekdays between 3-4:30.

They do have a featured quote on their menu touting their turkey, but no mention of ketchup.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
News flash: I heard last week in the Westport Y sauna that Bobby Q's has closed. We shared a nice meal there, and our first flight of Bourbon.[/QUOTE]

CORRECTION: I'm currently on Main St in Westport and reports of Bobby Q's death are greatly exaggerated. The kitchen is closed on weekdays between 3-4:30.

They do have a featured quote on their menu touting their turkey, but no mention of ketchup.[/QUOTE]
Bobby Q's closing today or tomorrow I think.

Bobby opening another place somewhere I heard. His current location was sold from under him. Look forward to seeing what is next.

Reaction Score
Anyone been to Gideons in Glastonbury? I live right near it and want to try it but I've never heard anything about it which makes me nervous.
I've eaten there a couple times, the first time I had flavorless, dried out brisket and completely forgettable sides that at the time I just chalked up to it being a Sunday holiday and thusly them not being so busy hurt the food's quality. I had it again more recently, again with the forgettable sides but the pulled pork was at least a little better. My wife thought the BBQ chicken was ok. Their sauces are adequate. I'm no BBQ expert or lover, but I'd go to Bear's 10 times out of 10 over Gideon's.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Contrary to what Texas fan said, I had some North Carolina friends (who grew up in Asheville) visit us in WNY, and I took them to Dinosaur, and they raved. They actually came up many years ago for the NCAA Buffalo regional where UConn beat DePaul. They were affiliated with Charlotte in the same regional. I was living in Rochester at the time, and so we dropped by Roch.'s Dinosaur. They were definitely BBQ people, and Dinosaur impressed them.

Sorry, but anybody who thinks Carolina pulled pork smothered in malt vinegar and cole slaw is BBQ is sadly mistaken. They are not BBQ people. They'd be impressed with Arby's.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but anybody who thinks Carolina pulled pork smothered in malt vinegar and cole slaw is BBQ is sadly mistaken. They are not BBQ people. They'd be impressed with Arby's.

Asheville is western Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01