OT: Best Ankle Brace(s) For Sprain-Prone Volleyball Player? | The Boneyard

OT: Best Ankle Brace(s) For Sprain-Prone Volleyball Player?

Reaction Score
I used to wear ankle braces religiously for soccer and basketball, since I knew I was prone to sprain my ankles more than the average person, but in joining a volleyball league last year I thought I could get away without playing without ankle braces.

Learned my lesson last night when landing awkwardly after jumping up for a block :(

Anyhoo, I'm Googling reviews online, but was curious if any folks on here had in-depth familiarity with this and could recommend a good ankle brace or chime in to help guide my shopping?

Looking to invest in a high-quality pair to prevent future injuries once I heal and return to the volleyball court. I play outside hitter and middle blocker (so lots of jumping) and although I'm still tall with skinny ankles, I've gained some belly weight with age (so in retrospect, it's surprising this didn't happen much sooner!).

Thanks!

Reaction Score
Thank youo! I saw that brand while looking...I'm probably overthinking it ;) but appreciate the tip!

Reaction Score
I have rolled my ankle before while wearing one of the lace up ones (or maybe it wasn't laces but just the wrap around velcro but without any hard plastic). Maybe the sprain would've been worse if I hadn't been wearing it, but I think I was still out of practice for 3-4 days. My favorite is active ankle T2, but this was 15 years ago so maybe there is something better now. I've also had a friend snap that one and roll her ankle anyway, but I think that's pretty rare.

Reaction Score
I used to wear ankle braces religiously for soccer and basketball, since I knew I was prone to sprain my ankles more than the average person, but in joining a volleyball league last year I thought I could get away without playing without ankle braces.

Learned my lesson last night when landing awkwardly after jumping up for a block :(

Anyhoo, I'm Googling reviews online, but was curious if any folks on here had in-depth familiarity with this and could recommend a good ankle brace or chime in to help guide my shopping?

Looking to invest in a high-quality pair to prevent future injuries once I heal and return to the volleyball court. I play outside hitter and middle blocker (so lots of jumping) and although I'm still tall with skinny ankles, I've gained some belly weight with age (so in retrospect, it's surprising this didn't happen much sooner!).

Thanks!
My father showed me some taping tricks many years ago, and they have always worked.

Ankles: 1” adhesive tape, about 8” long, wrapped under heel and up against ankle bones. Then another piece around back of ankle and going almost to top of ankle joint. Just 2 U-shaped 1” strips. Can add another for slight overlap in each. Hardly noticeable, but very effective.

Lower back: 6 1” strips of tapes, about 4-6” long. Will look like an arrowhead pointing at bottom of spine. Another great brace.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Back in the day, we used duct tape, covered by white athletic tape :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom