OT: Bazley decommits from 'Cuse, goes to G-League | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Bazley decommits from 'Cuse, goes to G-League

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
25k and he will have to pay for his own meals. Housing is provided. These kids literally have no clue how cushy they have it as full scholarship athletes at top schools.

Enjoy the low pay, bus trips, paying for your meals, and fighting against grown men for playing time.

So you’ve never heard of a loan from an Agent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd take 25k to not live in Syracuse for a year.
25k and he will have to pay for his own meals. Housing is provided. These kids literally have no clue how cushy they have it as full scholarship athletes at top schools.
Enjoy the low pay, bus trips, paying for your meals, and fighting against grown men for playing time.

He's probably getting some nice sponsorship dollars. Agents, shoe companies, or whatever. He's doing better than the min, I'lll guarantee that.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
They aren’t relevant though...

I hate SU as much as anyone but we need to get back to the tournament before we talk about who is more relevant. I believe DH is that guy but it’s not even close to who has more relevancy right now.

Reaction Score
So you’ve never heard of a loan from an Agent.

And they have to pay that back. If he flops, gets injured, or just doesn't hack it then what?

In college you are protected and get everything you want while being a "big man on campus".

It's up to the players in g league how hard they work and how many hours they train/ practice. College you have a schedule and people actually looking out for you and pushing you

Reaction Score
I suppose. I'm not really sure how much G Leaguers push the needle to be worth spending advertising on though.
If Adidas was paying players to go to Adidas colleges, what might they pay a top 10 recruit who went to the G League? If he blows up early and looks like he's a surefire lottery pick then the sponsors will roll up with buckets of cash

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If Adidas was paying players to go to Adidas colleges, what might they pay a top 10 recruit who went to the G League? If he blows up early and looks like he's a surefire lottery pick then the sponsors will roll up with buckets of cash

They'll take that risk. Why not? Kid's obviously got game. And if they can lock him into a multi year deal on the cheap, that's a nice gamble to take. They've got gobs of money anway.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And they have to pay that back. If he flops, gets injured, or just doesn't hack it then what?

In college you are protected and get everything you want while being a "big man on campus".

It's up to the players in g league how hard they work and how many hours they train/ practice. College you have a schedule and people actually looking out for you and pushing you

Lot of Agents will spend free money, get cars, perks, or what have you in the hopes of signing a guy. Not even a loan. Consider it their marketing costs.

Reaction Score

Fair enough. I was more thinking along the lines of him showing up in a Portland Maine Bait and Tackle local commercial haha.

Reaction Score
I hate SU as much as anyone but we need to get back to the tournament before we talk about who is more relevant. I believe DH is that guy but it’s not even close to who has more relevancy right now.
They can have their relevancy. I'll take our last 5 years over theirs (and I'm sure they'd love to switch as well).

107-57, 1-4 record in conference tournament, 9-4 record in NCAA tournament, 1 post-season ban, 1 sweet sixteen, 1 final four

vs.

107-69, 10-4 record in conference tournament, 7-1 record in NCAA tournament, 1 conference tournament championship, 1 national championship

Reaction Score
They can have their relevancy. I'll take our last 5 years over theirs (and I'm sure they'd love to switch as well).

107-57, 1-4 record in conference tournament, 9-4 record in NCAA tournament, 1 post-season ban, 1 sweet sixteen, 1 final four

vs.

107-69, 10-4 record in conference tournament, 7-1 record in NCAA tournament, 1 conference tournament championship, 1 national championship
Preach!!!

Reaction Score

vs.

D89AC0DB-4C00-4ADA-BD2E-ACDFBAB70A23.gif

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They didn’t deserve to get in this year or the other time they squeaked in. They are battling it out with BC and GTech

Reaction Score
I can’t wait until we are relevant again to lose a 5 star talent to the g league... kidding... not kidding
Likely not happening because its pretty much a foregone conclusion that the one n done rule is going the way of the dodo. Hopefully they also add the two year minimum if you decide to go to college. This would be good for both the game and the kids.

Reaction Score
Lot of Agents will spend free money, get cars, perks, or what have you in the hopes of signing a guy. Not even a loan. Consider it their marketing costs.
I think this is a great litmus test for the G-league system and for college basketball.
On the pro G-side
1. Kid can make $ as others have said on endorsements. It'll be interesting to see what these are though b/c the G-League is so low profile and low budget. I tried to look up stats recently and their website stinks, its hard to know what's going on. It might change with a 'star' or two, but I don't think such a thing exists out of high school. LeBrons are a once every 10-ish years event and you can't build a league on that.

2. Agents can and definitely will spend $ on spec. I don't know how these agreements work and it'll certainly evolve and depend on the talent or perceived talent of the prospect. I.e. Harry Giles might have gotten guaranteed money from an agent. Yes he got drafted 1st round, but still proving that even surefire first rounders have unknown NBA futures.

3. I think its better for agents and colleges to compete for high school kids then colleges and NBA. Choose $ or education, this is supposed to be why you go to college.

4. G-League draft per the article is in October. Another interesting litmus test as the kid sits on the sideline & watches his classmates leave and waits. Then after the draft he'll watch his bball peers get the college hype and TV exposure. Need some test cases to do this and report how it goes. Successes and failures will ultimately weed out who can & should consider G league and who should not.

5. Definitely an advantage for NBA affiliated G league teams to get a hard look at kids. I don't agree that they'll hold them out or play any tricks with trying to hide potential. Bottom line is always the best thing for basketball players is to play basketball. But it is a very weird dynamic that a team developing a player has no rights to that player. I'd guess the NBA moves towards something different either:
A. separate G league draft process,
B. team can forfeit their first round pick and sign their own G-leaguer?.
Something will happen relatively quickly (next year I bet).

6. The NBA can stay away from scouting and recruiting high school kids and higher draft risk of that and simultaneously stop the noise free market bs about requiring college, keep NBA player age minimum for quality of game and riskiness of draft & $, but allow players that have no interest in college to play pro ball.

Pros for NCAA/College Basketball

1. Ultimately get the top 5-10 one & dones out so the game becomes more competitive, more seasoned players and experienced teams. Its much better for game if more top teams have more players around for > 1 year.

2. Calipari is $hitting his pants over this, does he have a plan B!? Even if ever other thing about this goes wrong can we please have a couple of his recruits split to G-league. Pretty please.

3. You'd think 'they' have to be talking to Adam Silver, except if 'they' is Mark Emmert, I am relatively certain Silver won't suffer that fool. I don't see anyone on the NCAA BOG (nice that Herbst is on there though) that would be an ideal go-between for NBA talks. Wait Men's Basketball committee, Chairman: Jeff Hathaway (HA!). Bill Self seems like the only pure basketball guy, they gotta put someone on the board who knows their way around the NBA on that sucker pronto. Looks like Dan Gavitt is the liaison - it'd be cool if he saves CBB the way his dad jump-started the modern era.

4. Push for a deal that NBA agrees hands off for 2 years once a player goes to college. This may occur naturally, but at first they'll still be plenty of one and dones and with the lower G-league profile & different competition it will be really hard to assess 1yr college guys vs 1 yr G-league = logical for ALL to make college 2 years minimum. This will push more kids into the G-league but even if its 10+ kids per year I don't think it makes a tangible difference. Overall CBB quality, teams will get better with more continuity and stars will still emerge.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

btw his twitter feed right now is great. Could substitute Cuse with UConn from the past two years and it would be the boneyard... I am enjoying reading it now though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom