OT: Baseball Trivia | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Under the category of "you learn something every day:"

Jimmy Piersall led the Leavenworth High School (Waterbury, Connecticut) basketball team to the 1947 New England championship, scoring 29 points in the final game. Piersall became a professional baseball player at age 18, signing a contract with the Boston Red Sox in 1948. He would reach the majors in 1950, playing in six games as one of the youngest players in Major League Baseball.

In 1952, he earned a more substantial role with the Red Sox, frequently referring to himself as "the Waterbury Wizard," a nickname not well-received by teammates.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not to seem to morbid, but which of the 1959 Red Sox Starting lineup are alive, and which have died. So, feel free to play along, without looking it up, guess alive or dead.

C Sammy White
1B Vic Wertz
2B Pete Runnels
SS Don Buddin
3B Frank Malzone
LF Ted Williams
CF Gene Stephens
RF Jackie Jensen
P Tom Brewer

Reaction Score
A few familiar names. I will guess that all but Jackie Jensen are deceased.

Jimmy Piersall was a heckuva center fielder. Also, one heckuva character. It still amazes me how he was allowed to get away with so much, and how his antics were accepted/tolerated. Three that come to mind:
1. He his this 100th homerun at the Polo Grounds while playing for the Mets(it had to be a Sunday of I was there) and trotted around the bases backwards.
2. In a Mayor's Trophy game against the Yankees, he leads off first base with is back turned lo0oking directly at and taunting(for lack of a better word) Moose Skowron, the Yankee first baseman.
3. In a Saturday afternoon game in 1963, Piersall takes his first strike from his normal right handed position, then switches to the left side and fouled off a pitch, then reverts back to the right side. The result of the at bat totally eludes me, but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom