OT: Barnes officially out at Texas | The Boneyard

OT: Barnes officially out at Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's been fired daily since Wednesday - he's probably relieved to be really, really fired and not have to be sort of fired again tomorrow.

Watch - he'll get his buyout and then some SEC team will do something stupid and throw a truckload of cash at him.

Reaction Score
This opens up Eric Davis who we were on a little before he cut his list. He's a combo guard. Also, Shaka Smart is definitely going to be a tip candidate there and we all know what that could mean.

Reaction Score
"Two coaches interested in the Texas opening and will be in the mix to replace Barnes are Wichita State's Gregg Marshall and VCU's Shaka Smart, according to sources."...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It means Tevin Mack might go to South Carolina!

Actually, I think Smart makes all kinds of sense for Texas and I'm guessing it happens.

Marshall's a good coach, but is he going to recruit like Smart? Nope.

Reaction Score

Actually, I think Smart makes all kinds of sense for Texas and I'm guessing it happens.

Only if Frank Martin isn't fired too, then it's UConn for Mack!
You know how we like to speculate. ;)

Reaction Score

Which is kind of hilarious, because Barnes was a hell of a recruiter who couldn't coach a damn. I'm not saying Shaka's a bad coach - he's miles better than Barnes - but there's a reason VCU have been past the first weekend of the tournament only once.

If I'm Texas, I hire Marshall and let Austin recruit itself.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Which is kind of hilarious, because Barnes was a hell of a recruiter who couldn't coach a damn. I'm not saying Shaka's a bad coach - he's miles better than Barnes - but there's a reason VCU have been past the first weekend of the tournament only once.

If I'm Texas, I hire Marshall and let Austin recruit itself.

Not sure you're on point there.

Here's the issue - Austin doesn't recruit itself.

Texas has a ton of talent and Barnes has struggled to get to it in recent years - Smart would get it done.

And it took nine tries and 15 years for Gregg Marshall to get a team past the first weekend of the NCAA's.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Texas scares me.... They're literally a sleeping giant, waiting to be awoken. With the right coach, they can easily be a perminet fixture in the future of men's college bball. If I was Kansas, I'd be worried.... Whether they knew it, or not, Barnes was their best friend for many years (in helping keep the program down)

Reaction Score
Not sure you're on point there.

Here's the issue - Austin doesn't recruit itself.

Texas has a ton of talent and Barnes has struggled to get to it in recent years - Smart would get it done.
We're going all-in on hypotheticals here, but I'd wager Marshall would pull nearly as much - and certainly enough, with his superior coaching ability, to keep UT perennially in the top 15.

And it took nine tries and 15 years for Gregg Marshall to get a team past the first weekend of the NCAA's.
Most of those were with Winthrop, though. That's a school with a significantly lower profile than VCU or Wichita State.

Since that Final 4 run in 2011 VCU are 2-4 in the tournament, including one humiliating blow-out in a 4-5 game and two straight first-round exits in which they were the higher seed.

WSU followed up their Final 4 with an undefeated season (2-point loss to UK in the round of 32) and this year's Sweet 16.

Either guy is a good hire, but if I'm Texas I know which one is Plan A.

Reaction Score
Marshall and Smart are both really good but I think I give the edge to Marshall, havoc is nice and all but it will never win you a championship. I think either one would recruit like crazy at Texas.

Reaction Score
Marshall is the better coach, Smart the better recruiter. Advantage Smart. My money, especially if Arizona wins tonight, is on Archie Miller!

Reaction Score
Marshall is the better coach, Smart the better recruiter. Advantage Smart. My money, especially if Arizona wins tonight, is on Archie Miller!
Any of those three would be great. Meanwhile IU is sitting on their thumb giving Crean another year or two...

Reaction Score

We need this coaching carousel to continue so that all our recruits that committed elsewhere will be available again so that we can lose out too...I mean we can pick up those recruits we wanted in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom