OT: backyard chickens | The Boneyard

OT: backyard chickens

Curiouser
Reaction Score
anyone else here raise back yard chickens? I'm a newb this spring and my chicks are just about ready to live in the coop. Post your flock!
My best friends did for around ten years and we loved the fresh eggs, but they just stopped this year because they got tired of fighting the bears. They live in Litchfield fwiw.

Reaction Score
My best friends did for around ten years and we loved the fresh eggs, but they just stopped this year because they got tired of fighting the bears. They live in Litchfield fwiw.

I know it wasn't supposed to be, but I got a pretty good chuckle out of that. Also, you earn the like for the picture. Where did you get that from?

Reaction Score
Rhode Island reds are the bread I recommend. Chicken are great for fertilizing your yard and garden if you let them roam.

Don't get a rooster

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also, you earn the like for the picture. Where did you get that from?
I found it online, but it's a pie from Bufalina. Possibly on their website--can't remember.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Make a reservation cause you won't get in. Chances are they are fully booked for tonight anyway
If it's just a one or two-top and you call them early in the afternoon when they come in to make the dough they can often be flexible and try to squeeze you in. And in a few weeks they should have their outdoor seating area open, which is first come, first served at picnic tables that parties have been known to share.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Having chickens is a PITA but having a close friend or neighbor with chickens is great.

I was going to say the same thing, but I would have added "down the street". All that cluck-cluck-clucking sucks. No peace and quiet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
IMG_0403.jpg

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I have some questions regarding fighting bears over the chickens. Do the bears eat chickens/eggs? Bone chickens in the sexual manner? Fight chicken owners as a misguided PETA mission?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wow - we're really letting Chief off the hook here huh?

I love that you have such a superjohn for calling Chief out like that. No sarcasm

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Fighting bears? duck_k the chickens. Just buy new ones when you drop a few. Culling the herd weeds out the weak ones anyway. Darwin ftw.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
anyone else here raise back yard chickens? I'm a newb this spring and my chicks are just about ready to live in the coop. Post your flock!

Only get roosters if you want to piss off your neighbors.

Your post reminded me of this commercial (posted by prankster a couple months ago). It still crack me up.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
So essentially, the @augustwest method? Shame

Yes. Except for the claiming it was mine part.

You would think you two if anyone wouldve. learned to not underestimate me.

I said it was my DINNER. . I didn't claim to take the PIC. Which is the fully intentional ambiguity of another successful August thread. Plausible deniability.
My goal someday is to not have to explain this stuff to people. But until then I will enjoy the multiple levels it works on.

:)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You would think you two if anyone wouldve. learned to not underestimate me.

I said it was my DINNER. . I didn't claim to take the PIC. Which is the fully intentional ambiguity of another successful August thread. Plausible deniability.
My goal someday is to not have to explain this stuff to people. But until then I will enjoy the multiple levels it works on.

:)

Meta heady

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I live in Truro during the summers and everyone out here is"living off the land" or so they think. My neighbor behind me has a dozen or so chickens which occasionally make there way into my vegetable garden but otherwise are fun to have around. One interesting tidbit is the Fisher cat has made a comeback on the outer Cape. Fisher cats are not feline and don't eat fish (think large otter with claws). They decimated the porcupine (favorite food) population on the Cape and thus their population dwindled. Their second favorite is chicken and if they get into a coop will kill everyone in there drag them off and bury them for later dining pleasure. I am not sure they are worth the effort given how good the organic eggs are that you can buy in the super these days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom