OT: Back on Campus | The Boneyard

OT: Back on Campus

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Graduated from UConn pharmacy in 98 and then moved back to Northeast PA where I'm from. Visited campus a few time since, but it's been about ten years.. finally back today for a stop with my family on the way to Bar Harbor.
Some takeaways: while I was there it was a constant state of construction.. the results of that are amazing. The campus looks great. Storrs Center is exactly what the campus was missing and is beautiful. I am so proud to have gone there and am thrilled with the state of the campus. Would love for my son to go there in 2 years but out of state tuition is .
NL1MF

Reaction Score
I graduated in 1977 and was back when my son was looking at schools in 2005. Totally different place - my dorm isn’t even there anymore.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I graduated in 1977 and was back when my son was looking at schools in 2005. Totally different place - my dorm isn’t even there anymore.
Did you live in south?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
That’s the first time I’ve heard Storrs Center described as “beautiful”.

Reaction Score
Just checked out the virtual tour of the Student Union. Looks great!

And a lot different and improved from when I went there ages ago. I guess they must have built additions over the years.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, Crandall B.
I thought so. Those 60 person dorms, each with their own kitchen we’re great. I was surprised that they got demolished.

I have talked about this before on the board, but I’d get back to my room after I took a shower in the morning, call down to the cook to get an omelette, get dressed head downstairs and throw a couple pieces of bread in the toaster, grab a cup of coffee, slap the omelette between the toast and walk across campus to my first class which was inevitably in the Math/Science building. Special meals like lobster or prime rib were possible, but you would have to ‘pay for them’ by having a lot of inexpensive dinners so that you’d stay on budget. Since there was only one serving time for dinner, everybody would range their classes so they could be there. Basically, it was a family type setting with everybody eating together every night. It was a great system, but I guess inefficient.

Reaction Score

It’s changed a lot since 2005 too

Reaction Score
I thought so. Those 60 person dorms, each with their own kitchen we’re great. I was surprised that they got demolished.

I have talked about this before on the board, but I’d get back to my room after I took a shower in the morning, call down to the cook to get an omelette, get dressed head downstairs and throw a couple pieces of bread in the toaster, grab a cup of coffee, slap the omelette between the toast and walk across campus to my first class which was inevitably in the Math/Science building. Special meals like lobster or prime rib were possible, but you would have to ‘pay for them’ by having a lot of inexpensive dinners so that you’d stay on budget. Since there was only one serving time for dinner, everybody would range their classes so they could be there. Basically, it was a family type setting with everybody eating together every night. It was a great system, but I guess inefficient.
I lived in one of those 60 person dorms near the Humanities Building. What did they replace them with? A complex of high rises with hundreds of rooms and one dining hall in a separate building like the Jungle for the Freshmen?

Actually, I cannot remember if the Jungle dining room was connected to the dorms or if you had to go outside to get to it.

Reaction Score
I was there from '98-'02. It went from looking like the projects to a college campus in that time span. I remember the old ROTC building being boarded up with skull & cross bones spray painted on the plywood. We've come a long way.

CL82

Reaction Score
I lived in one of those 60 person dorms near the Humanities Building. What did they replace them with? A complex of high rises with hundreds of rooms and one dining hall in a separate building like the Jungle for the Freshmen?

Actually, I cannot remember if the Jungle dining room was connected to the dorms or if you had to go outside to get to it.
1627229369101.jpeg

it’s still smaller dorms but they do have a common cafeteria. My understanding is that it is still one of the nicer places to live on campus.

That reminds me of when I got my residence hall assignment as an incoming freshman. My older sister had just graduated and she was like “let me see which dorm you got and I’ll tell you how bad it is.” When I told her Wheeler she was like “That’s unreal! I’ve been trying to get in there for four years and you got it as a freshman?! Why does life always work out for you?!” I turned to her and smiled and said “I don’t know, but it does doesn’t it?” She walked off in a huff and my smile got just a little bit bigger.

:D

Reaction Score
View attachment 68744

it’s still smaller dorms but they do have a common cafeteria. My understanding is that it is still one of the nicer places to live on campus.

That reminds me of when I got my residence hall assignment as an incoming freshman. My older sister had just graduated and she was like “let me see which dorm you got and I’ll tell you how bad it is.” When I told her Wheeler she was like “That’s unreal! I’ve been trying to get in there for four years and you got it as a freshman?! Why does life always work out for you?!” I turned to her and smiled and said “I don’t know, but it does doesn’t it?” She walked off in a huff and my smile got just a little bit bigger.

:D
That’s awesome. I was in Wheeler too and would ask our chef (Tom) for a specific kind of omelette, he’d make it for me and I would bring it to my room to eat while getting ready for class. The family style dinners were great too. Just a tremendous social atmosphere all around in those dorms.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I lived in New London in 05/06 and you had to leave the dorm to get to the dining hall. A few dorms were connected like McCoughnehey (sp?).

My understanding is that at one point all the North dorms were connected but not anymore.

Reaction Score

I enjoyed living in the small dorm. You got to know most of your dorm mates and it was generally a great atmosphere. Our cook was well connected in the area, and we usually had one or two nights a semester with steak and lobster, and we didn’t have to pay extra. Freshman year, his Willimantic buddy “Lefty” got us a private dining room showing of Deep Throat. Good times!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Residents of Mansfield always doing their best trying to make things difficult for Storrs.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed living in the small dorm. You got to know most of your dorm mates and it was generally a great atmosphere. Our cook was well connected in the area, and we usually had one or two nights a semester with steak and lobster, and we didn’t have to pay extra. Freshman year, his Willimantic buddy “Lefty” got us a private dining room showing of Deep Throat. Good times!
These posts bring back great memories. I was in Wright B in the Frats/Northwest Quad in the late 70s. That building no longer exists either. I enjoyed knowing most of the people in the dorm and talking to everyone in the lobby as we waiting for the dining room doors to open for dinner. We too had steak and lobster occasionally. Times were much different then as movies like Behind The Green Door were shown often in the Life and Science building.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom