OT: Australian Open | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Australian Open

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So the Woz came through, albeit in 3 sets. Both she and Halep have spent a lot of time at #1 without winning a Major.
After fading for awhile, the Woz has been very strong lately, especially in winning the year-end championship.
While not a major, it is the next best thing in a non Olympics year, when you figure you must bear at least 4 of the 5 players
in the top 8 in the world.
What do you fans think? Can she finally break through?

I think so. She has reinvented her game. Her serve is a real weapon now and she mixes defense and offense really well. I give her a slight advantage over Halep / Kerber.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well Tennys lost in 3 straight but he acquitted himself well. The final game was a marathon and he saved 5 match points. His best weapon to me is his net play and he had crazy good stats at the net. Still, I think he did not get to the net enough.

Chung is fun to watch. He has all the shots and physically he is a beast with strength and quickness combined. His serve needs to get a little better as a weapon but he serves a high percentage. He can have lapses since this is new territory so I doubt he can do much with Federer who I imagine should get through Berdych

Did not see the Keys / Kerber match but by the score, I am glad I did not see the massacre.

By the way, great post match interviewing from Courier. Fun

Reaction Score
Did not see the Keys / Kerber match but by the score, I am glad I did not see the massacre.

Didn't see it either, but I can imagine how it would have gone. Keys is very weak against players with good defense. To use the Geno phrasing, she's a player who usually doesn't respond well when she gets punched in the face. Tenses up, no plan B.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Didn't see it either, but I can imagine how it would have gone. Keys is very weak against players with good defense. To use the Geno phrasing, she's a player who usually doesn't respond well when she gets punched in the face. Tenses up, no plan B.

On the other side, Kerber is like a wall and plays big hitting players very well. What she did to Sharapova should be outlawed. Once Keys has to play rallies, she cant stay with the real good movers on tour. The Aussie heat could not have helped. Still, with Keys serve, to go down 6-1, 6-2 is very disappointing.

Another hard hitter Pliskova looks to be in trouble with Halep down a set and a break.
The age of outhitting the best players is over unless your name is Serena.

Edit: Pliskova offer little resistance goes down 6-3, 6-2

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Federer overcomes shaky 1st set to sweep Berdych with an all around brilliant display of artistry. :D

No one left has any real chance of stopping federer from claiming his 20th Grand Slam imho

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Caroline wins 6-3 7-6 but nearly choked herself out of the second set. Up 5-4 30-0, she got so tight but recovered to take the tie breaker easily. Looking forward to Halep / Kerber.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Each may strive to hold her perfect record of being #1 but not winning a Major. :rolleyes:One will need to yield.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well. Halep beat Kerber in a fantastic 3 setter ending 9-7. I think Caroline will have the advantage simply because of physical / emotional drain Halep endured. Her emotions are also so volatile.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Meanwhile. Cilic is handling Edmunds with a 2 set lead and a break in the 3rd.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Meanwhile. Cilic is handling Edmunds with a 2 set lead and a break in the 3rd.

Not unexpected. If Federer does as expected, I think Cilic / Federer will be a great final. Cilic looks to me like he is ready to go toe - toe.

As I am writing, Cilic wins 6-2 7-6 6-2.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cilic will have plenty of time to rest. If Federer / Cheng is a hard deep match, that will give Cilic a big advantage.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Cilic will have plenty of time to rest. If Federer / Cheng is a hard deep match, that will give Cilic a big advantage.

And that semi is at 3:30 am or so.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Kerber and Halep gave the audience their money's worth, going into extra innings for a Romanian victory.
The final vs the Woz is at 3:30am.
Meanwhile, eebmg's fears of a spent Federer vs. Cilic are assuaged as Mr. Chung ran out of gas at 6-1, 5-2.

Looking ahead, Venus and Serena will be playing in the Fed Cup in Asheville, N. C. vs. the Netherlands on Feb 10 & 11. Tennis Network (Spectrum 406) will offer viewing. Kiki Bertens is the best known among the Dutch.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Kerber and Halep gave the audience their money's worth, going into extra innings for a Romanian victory.
The final vs the Woz is at 3:30am.
Meanwhile, eebmg's fears of a spent Federer vs. Cilic are assuaged as Mr. Chung ran out of gas at 6-1, 5-2.

Looking ahead, Venus and Serena will be playing in the Fed Cup in Asheville, N. C. vs. the Netherlands on Feb 10 & 11. Tennis Network (Spectrum 406) will offer viewing. Kiki Bertens is the best known among the Dutch.
I double checked with Spectrum, after finding out that their 406 is a hip hop station. Their agent tells me that Spectrum has no "Tennis
Network", so now I have no info on TV coverage.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I double checked with Spectrum, after finding out that their 406 is a hip hop station. Their agent tells me that Spectrum has no "Tennis
Network", so now I have no info on TV coverage.

I have my Spectrum TV on channel 406 now and it is still definitely the tennis channel. I am in Manhattan so maybe that makes a difference? When you argue with Spectrum and tell them what I am telling you, I hope they don't shut me off. :rolleyes:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I have my Spectrum TV on channel 406 now and it is still definitely the tennis channel. I am in Manhattan so maybe that makes a difference? When you argue with Spectrum and tell them what I am telling you, I hope they don't shut me off. :rolleyes:

In Florida TC is 804, and TC told me online that they are covering FED Cup. My original info came from an Asheville local paper.
I won't breathe your name.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wozniacki wins brutal 3 setter. 7-6 3-6 6-4. Tough weather conditions even at night had both players getting treatment at times. Brutal incorrect override
of an out call by a linesman ultimately caused Halep a pt in the final game going from 40-15 Halep to 30-30. Still Caroline played the last points better and deserves it.
Her defense was astounding all night.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well. Federer is in a dog fight. After a very shaky Cilic loses the first set 6-2 (down 4-0 before he remembered how to hit a ball) , Cilic come back in set for a 7-6 win (7-5). Playing with the roof closed so no weather issues. For those who complain about announcing styles on wcbb, I find the announcing in tennis much worse on my nerves. Thankfully, tennis is perfect to watch with sound off. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Federer wins in 5 sets. Federer took set 3 and had a break up in set 4 but Federer's serve left him and lost set 4 with Cilic dominating the ground strokes. Then in set 5, Federer found his serve and Cilic did not play to his potential. Not mentally strong imho. Wins 6-1. 20 Grand slams for Federer. :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
1517139988-0_1024x576.48374974075704813-Federer1jpg

Reaction Score
That kid Edmunds really impressed me. I have not seen such powerful ground strokes like that from a young player since Ivan Llendl or Federer, and he already is pretty good at the net. If he can get a dominant and consistent serve, he will be the next dominant force in men's tennis.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wozniacki wins brutal 3 setter. 7-6 3-6 6-4. Tough weather conditions even at night had both players getting treatment at times. Brutal incorrect override
of an out call by a linesman ultimately caused Halep a pt in the final game going from 40-15 Halep to 30-30. Still Caroline played the last points better and deserves it.
Her defense was astounding all night.

Glad she finally has her major. Hope she has more coming in 2018.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom