OT: Augusts Tech Tips® Alert - Dell XPS 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Augusts Tech Tips® Alert - Dell XPS 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
B&H has a Dell XPS 13 QHD touch screen with an i7, 8GB & 256GB PCI SSD on sale for $1,150. The XPS 13 is just about the best 13" laptop out there.

I know some people have mentioned in various threads that they were looking for a portable laptop and this one is less than 3lbs.

Alternatively, if you want to step up to iris pro graphics, Adorama has the same laptop with a little higher end 6560u cpu for $1,300. I personally don't think it's worth an extra $150 over the 6500u in the B&H version. Everything else is identical and the difference in the processors is only about $25 from Intel.

Edit: FYI, I am guessing that these are on sale because Dell is gearing up for the new 7th generation Kaby Lake processors. I don't think they are going to be a huge upgrade as they are built on the same process node. So you get to take advantage with these excellent deals and you don't have to wait 2 or 3 months.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They're on sale because of BTS (Back to School). Great deal. Lenovo 900 and HP Spectre also around that price when on sale. Best Buy is having a 50th anniversary sale. If you are or have a college student they can sign up for student deals and get another $150"off.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm due for a company upgrade. If I need to be mobile and transport files between systems (no cloud allowed) should I be looking for a new laptop or a Surface tablet? Hauling around a full size laptop is doable but getting a bit old (as am I) as is the bag I usually carry it in.

I was thinking that if I just used a tablet with a memory card, that I could pare down the amount of stuff I pack around with me.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm due for a company upgrade. If I need to be mobile and transport files between systems (no cloud allowed) should I be looking for a new laptop or a Surface tablet? Hauling around a full size laptop is doable but getting a bit old (as am I) as is the bag I usually carry it in.

I was thinking that if I just used a tablet with a memory card, that I could pare down the amount of stuff I pack around with me.
I have an XPS 15 and a Surface Pro 4 and as good as the SP4 is, it get's tiresome for long work sessions. The screen is just too small for productive long term work. It's great for quick look at e-mail or web on the counter or a tablet on the couch.

The XPS 13 is very portable. With either, you're going to need a mouse (the SP4 is almost unusable without a mouse as a laptop). The microsoft foldable mouse is really cool and works great. I definitely suggest a laptop backpack instead of a bag. It just makes a huge difference if you have to walk any distance. You can always find deals on good Swiss backpacks on various sites.

For porting files between systems, just get a USB thumb drive. There are oodles of them at ridiculous low prices in just about any size. Just get USB 3 if you are transferring a large quantity/size. Something like THIS should be perfect for under $10.

Reaction Score
I have an XPS 15 and a Surface Pro 4 and as good as the SP4 is, it get's tiresome for long work sessions. The screen is just too small for productive long term work. It's great for quick look at e-mail or web on the counter or a tablet on the couch.

The XPS 13 is very portable. With either, you're going to need a mouse (the SP4 is almost unusable without a mouse as a laptop). The microsoft foldable mouse is really cool and works great. I definitely suggest a laptop backpack instead of a bag. It just makes a huge difference if you have to walk any distance. You can always find deals on good Swiss backpacks on various sites.

For porting files between systems, just get a USB thumb drive. There are oodles of them at ridiculous low prices in just about any size. Just get USB 3 if you are transferring a large quantity/size. Something like THIS should be perfect for under $10.

Get the docking station. A full size keyboard and a Samsung 4k monitor. Your Pro 4 becomes a CPU.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Get the docking station. A full size keyboard and a Samsung 4k monitor. Your Pro 4 becomes a CPU.
It's a good suggestion and a very capable and versatile solution, but getting way beyond a simple deal on a laptop. If anyone wants more information on adding docks and monitors, I'd be happy to help.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
solid work jleves.

just ordered 2 for department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics