OT: Auburn (Another Academic Scandal) | The Boneyard

OT: Auburn (Another Academic Scandal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You notice there's very little about the academic scandal in the article? It's all about the payoffs. People apparently don't care about academic scams. We've seen them at Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, LSU, Florida State, North Carolina. People just don't care.

Reaction Score
They just interviewed Selena Roberts on talk radio down here in Atlanta. Her story is very flimsy as she is just trying to paint a bad picture to help out football player sthat is facing 21 years in prision and was kicked out of Auburn. She has no evidence of grade changes and no tapes to back up her statements. She talks about the the Florida coach reaching into his desk to hand this man $400(lol) for his defense. When questioned about if the NCAA asked her for those tapes would she share them and her response is that they can do their own investigation as it isn't my duty to give them anything. It all just seems like sensationl journalism. Most of the players quoted in her article are saying they don't know her or never said those quotes. She said she doesn't need to defend her story with tapes and paper documents. Fluff jounalism all the way. Hmm, I don't think we have any of that in Connecticut. LOL.

Reaction Score
They just interviewed Selena Roberts on talk radio down here in Atlanta. Her story is very flimsy as she is just trying to paint a bad picture to help out football player sthat is facing 21 years in prision and was kicked out of Auburn. She has no evidence of grade changes and no tapes to back up her statements. She talks about the the Florida coach reaching into his desk to hand this man $400(lol) for his defense. When questioned about if the NCAA asked her for those tapes would she share them and her response is that they can do their own investigation as it isn't my duty to give them anything. It all just seems like sensationl journalism. Most of the players quoted in her article are saying they don't know her or never said those quotes. She said she doesn't need to defend her story with tapes and paper documents. Fluff jounalism all the way. Hmm, I don't think we have any of that in Connecticut. LOL.

So, you're saying the SEC media is doubting a story about SEC corruption with multiple players making allegations, and the reporter making up lies out of sympathy.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Nothing will come of this.

I love how hypocritical the NCAA is. It's so ass-backwards it makes me sick and angry at the same time.

UConn is honest and actually reports it's academic failures and gets banned from the post-season.

UNC, Cuse, Auburn all cheat their way through by side-stepping their academic failures and you barely hear a peep or any penalties about it from the NCAA. And if there are penalties, they're insignificant to a post-season ban.

What kind of message is the NCAA really sending about it's academics. It's infuriating.

Reaction Score
So, you're saying the SEC media is doubting a story about SEC corruption with multiple players making allegations, and the reporter making up lies out of sympathy.
Trust me if you heared the Selena Roberts on talk radio here with the 3 guys(all from the NY/NJ area originally) you would doubt her flimsy story also. When asked do you think the player she is defending in the book doesn't just have a grudge(21 years potentially in prision) her answer is "No". LoL. She kept on saying I don't need tapes to show that I'm not lying. She tried to evade every question that the panel asked her. Trust me these guys have no affinity towards Auburn football(Northeast guys who live in Georgia). I could see if this was Georgia maybe.

I'm not saying none of her accusations aren't true but her story is very flimsy. Unfotunately without any true evidence which it doesn't seem she has any this will go no further.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Trust me if you heared the Selena Roberts on talk radio here with the 3 guys(all from the NY/NJ area originally) you would doubt her flimsy story also. When asked do you think the player she is defending in the book doesn't just have a grudge(21 years potentially in prision) her answer is "No". LoL. She kept on saying I don't need tapes to show that I'm not lying. She tried to evade every question that the panel asked her. Trust me these guys have no affinity towards Auburn football(Northeast guys who live in Georgia). I could see if this was Georgia maybe.

I'm not saying none of her accusations aren't true but her story is very flimsy. Unfotunately without any true evidence which it doesn't seem she has any this will go no further.

Auburn is in a conference with schools like Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Mississippi, 3 schools that are well-known to have committed academic fraud. When multiple players come out and talk about changing grades, well... you're judged by the company you keep. Mississippi was North Carolina long before Carolina. These are joke schools. Literally, the campuses could implode tomorrow and be wiped off the face of the earth, and man's collective intelligence would not drop a bit.

Reaction Score
Nothing will come of this.

I love how hypocritical the NCAA is. It's so ass-backwards it makes me sick and angry at the same time.

UConn is honest and actually reports it's academic failures and gets banned from the post-season.

UNC, Cuse, Auburn all cheat their way through by side-stepping their academic failures and you barely hear a peep or any penalties about it from the NCAA. And if there are penalties, they're insignificant to a post-season ban.

What kind of message is the NCAA really sending about it's academics. It's infuriating.

Emmert already sent the message with APR. APR is counter-academic fraud. A joke. People should get the message.

Reaction Score
Auburn is in a conference with schools like Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Mississippi, 3 schools that are well-known to have committed academic fraud. When multiple players come out and talk about changing grades, well... you're judged by the company you keep. Mississippi was North Carolina long before Carolina. These are joke schools. Literally, the campuses could implode tomorrow and be wiped off the face of the earth, and man's collective intelligence would not drop a bit.
I'm not replying that the SEC and Auburn don't have corruption with paying players or changing grades. I'm just refuting the story the writer has brought to the public's attention. She has no concrete evidence and is trying to stir up a story to help the person she is writing about in it Mike McNeil. I'm sure they change grades there to keep people in school but she needs to do a better job of having documentd proof. I just think this particular story the reporter has no credibility and this will blow over. You should have heard the interview as she seemed so inept and evasive about the topic without any facts to back it up. They kept on asking her about the tapes and she said she has most of them but shouldn't have to release them to back up her story. That makes no sense to me at all if you are going to make a public accussation about and institution and other particular individuals. Her whole story is from hearsay.

Reaction Score
I'm not replying that the SEC and Auburn don't have corruption with changing grades. I'm just refuting the case this particular writer has brought to the attention. She has no concrete evidence and is trying to stir up a story to help the person she is writing about in it. I'm sure they change grades there to keep people in school. I just think this particular story the reporter has no credibility and this will blow over. You should have heard the interview as she seemed so inept and evasive about the topic without any facts to back it up. Her whole story is from hearsay.

The NCAA takes athlete claims seriously. Multiple people are claiming this.

Reaction Score
The NCAA takes athlete claims seriously. Multiple people are claiming this.
If you read the article all the players are refuting either talking to her or those being their statements. Without documented evidence there is nothing to this story. I'm sure lots of this happened but she is about as inept as a journalist as I have heard on the radio. You should listen to the interview on 790 the Zone(Mayhem in the AM) in Atlanta and you will understand. Here is a link to today's show. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can hear the interview with Selena Roberts.

http://www.790thezone.com/mayhemintheam/index.aspx

Reaction Score
The funny thing is these are exactly the types of stories that Selena Roberts used to inveigh against, then the Duke thing happened. She's an Auburn alumn who made her bones throwing flames at the athletic department. I don't doubt that all of those programs in the SEC are dirty as hell, but this unsubstantiated gossip mongering is like a Page Six entry, nothing more.

Incidentally, this . . . These are joke schools. Literally, the campuses could implode tomorrow and be wiped off the face of the earth, and man's collective intelligence would not drop a bit.

. . . could not be more off-putting. They're big state schools, like UConn. You've got morons there and you've got brilliant people doing important work. Call the athletic programs dirty or out of control or whatever, but the rest of it you can just leave out.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
. . . could not be more off-putting. They're big state schools, like UConn. You've got morons there and you've got brilliant people doing important work. Call the athletic programs dirty or out of control or whatever, but the rest of it you can just leave out.

Yup when I think brilliant ground breaking research I think Alabama.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is these are exactly the types of stories that Selena Roberts used to inveigh against, then the Duke thing happened. She's an Auburn alumn who made her bones throwing flames at the athletic department. I don't doubt that all of those programs in the SEC are dirty as hell, but this unsubstantiated gossip mongering is like a Page Six entry, nothing more.

Incidentally, this . . . These are joke schools. Literally, the campuses could implode tomorrow and be wiped off the face of the earth, and man's collective intelligence would not drop a bit.

When you sell your soul, you make a mockery of it all. We have every right to question the value of a diploma from a school that does what they do. And if you think people don't, you are not dealing with reality.

Do you realize what kind of hit UNC has taken? This is dangerous stuff.

Every kid that has graduated from that African-American Studies department (one of only 5 programs worldwide) has a right to sue UNC for the total devaluing of their diploma.

Reaction Score
If you read the article all the players are refuting either talking to her or those being their statements. Without documented evidence there is nothing to this story. I'm sure lots of this happened but she is about as inept as a journalist as I have heard on the radio. You should listen to the interview on 790 the Zone(Mayhem in the AM) in Atlanta and you will understand. Here is a link to today's show. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can hear the interview with Selena Roberts.

http://www.790thezone.com/mayhemintheam/index.aspx

So what do you think of the tape recordings of the players?

What do you think of her calls into the Police's information officer that make the Chief of Police look like an idiot?

Do you honestly think the players are refuting the story because she's lying?

Reaction Score
So what do you think of the tape recordings of the players?

What do you think of her calls into the Police's information officer that make the Chief of Police look like an idiot?

Do you honestly think the players are refuting the story because she's lying?
I have seen no evidence of that and she says that she won't come forth with the tapes. Listen to the recording and you will see. I'm just saying this is a hack job of reporting as there is nothing to back it up that she has come forth with. As someone else mentioned she was behind the Duke scandal and looked how that turned out. I think she is just an atrocious reporter. I'm not refuting these things could have happened I'm just saying this writer is not worth listening to without credible information to back up her claims.

Reaction Score
I have seen no evidence of that and she says that she won't come forth with the tapes. Listen to the recording and you will see. I'm just saying this is a hack job of reporting as there is nothing to back it up that she has come forth with. As someone else mentioned she was behind the Duke scandal and looked how that turned out. I think she is just an atrocious reporter. I'm not refuting these things could have happened I'm just saying this writer is not worth listening to without credible information to back up her claims.

In reporting, you quote multiple people on a story, that's good reporting. She has multiple people. That's good reporting. They can refute things all they want, but it's good reporting. If she harmed them, they should sue her.

Reaction Score
In reporting, you quote multiple people on a story, that's good reporting. She has multiple people. That's good reporting. They can refute things all they want, but it's good reporting. If she harmed them, they should sue her.
You can always say you quoted people but unless you have taped evidence like a good reporter should have it doesn't mean anything.

Reaction Score
You can always say you quoted people but unless you have taped evidence like a good reporter should have it doesn't mean anything.

There's no recording in standard journalistic practice. Some people do it for expedience, but when you're talking to a whistleblower, most reporters will avoid anything to intimidate them. Good reporters are not required to tape. When people speak on the record, they are essentially giving themselves over. They can sue if harmed by a reporter.

Reaction Score
There's no recording in standard journalistic practice. Some people do it for expedience, but when you're talking to a whistleblower, most reporters will avoid anything to intimidate them. Good reporters are not required to tape. When people speak on the record, they are essentially giving themselves over. They can sue if harmed by a reporter.
Ok let's just agree to disagree about her reporting techniques which I and the hosts on the show agree are suspect at best.

Reaction Score
That is absolutely true. In fact it is pretty rare to have an interview taped by a reporter. A few do it for convenience but most don't because it makes people uncomfortable. But if you get multiple people who give you corroborating stories on the record, that is pretty solid stuff. Most reporters who want to record conversations will ask first and it isn't uncommon for people to deny permission, too, not because they are looking for "denyability" but because it makes them nervous. Reporters get very good at quoting people though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom