OT: at 15...she wins an LPGA event...yikes! | The Boneyard

OT: at 15...she wins an LPGA event...yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Lydia Ko....from South Korea then New Zealand....won the Canadien Open against a very good field on Sunday....she is the youngest winner ever on that tour beating out Lexie Thompson who won last year at 16. Lydia won the U.S. Am a couple of weeks ago. I saw a bit of her play on Sunday and she has a very nice rhythmical swing with some zip to it....hits it a good distance.

The Asian Invasion is a good thing in terms of getting deeper fields and getting more elite-level players and growing the game around the world. The downside can be fans in the USA losing interest if young Americans aren't in the mix. Lexi has had a decent year so far...but no wins.
Michelle Wie has had a terrible year with many missed cuts. Stacie Lewis is stepping up bigtime but for the health of the tour some of our youngsters need to rise to the Invasion challenge.

Lydia's win did not seem flukish at all....she speaks English beautifully....that will help some.
She talked about going to Stanford and playing college golf. She would have won around 300G's if she were a pro. If she does go to college I would bet she plays the tour part-time as a pro...a la Michelle. I wouldn't bet against her turning pro and bypassing college...a la Lexi.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Lydia Ko....from South Korea then New Zealand....won the Canadien Open against a very good field on Sunday....she is the youngest winner ever on that tour beating out Lexie Thompson who won last year at 16. Lydia won the U.S. Am a couple of weeks ago. I saw a bit of her play on Sunday and she has a very nice rhythmical swing with some zip to it....hits it a good distance.

The Asian Invasion is a good thing in terms of getting deeper fields and getting more elite-level players and growing the game around the world. The downside can be fans in the USA losing interest if young Americans aren't in the mix. Lexi has had a decent year so far...but no wins.
Michelle Wie has had a terrible year with many missed cuts. Stacie Lewis is stepping up bigtime but for the health of the tour some of our youngsters need to rise to the Invasion challenge.

Lydia's win did not seem flukish at all....she speaks English beautifully....that will help some.
She talked about going to Stanford and playing college golf. She would have won around 300G's if she were a pro. If she does go to college I would bet she plays the tour part-time as a pro...a la Michelle. I wouldn't bet against her turning pro and bypassing college...a la Lexi.

Great Sportsmanship by Stacey Lewis:

Stacy was in the final group of 3 players yesterday --- along with Lydia Ko.
Lydia had one bad hole, I think the 14th. Stacey spoke with Lydia before they teed off on 15. Stacey encouraged her young competitor --- assuring her that she could finish the round with the same excellence she had played with to that point. "You can win this," Stacey told her. And Ko regained her wonderful rhythm and finished well. Ko said afterward that she really appreciated the encouragement from Stacey.

It's not all dog eat dog out there on the LPGA Tour. BIG CHEERS FOR STACEY.

And HUGE KUDOS to an extraordinarily talented young player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not even old enough to drive a golf cart. Wow! Michelle didn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom