OT: As promised, our John Wayne BBQ recipe. | The Boneyard

OT: As promised, our John Wayne BBQ recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Since I have time on my hands and no opinions to offer about how President Obama should handle the Crisis in Egypt or (more important) how the Tennessee AD should deal with his current challenges, I offer (as promised earlier) our very special John Wayne Barbecue Recipe (which we will serve to guests this afternoon). Enjoy:

INGREDIENTS: 2 cups Bourbon (!), 1 cup Southern Comfort (!); 3-4 stalks celery-1/4 cup carrots-1/2 cup onions, all coarsely chopped; 1 cup mushrooms, chopped; 1/2 lb. ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped; 1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar (to taste); 1 cup BBQ sauce; 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce; Tobasco sauce (to taste); and eight boneless chicken breasts.

DDIRECTIONS: Combine all ingredients in blender and spin; pour sauce over chicken and marinade for at least one day; cook on grill, basting frequently. Keep marinade sauce warm to slop over chicken when serving. Serve with plenty of sauce. Serves 4-8 people.

We will do a variation today, combining beer-can-chicken technique and cooking in our smoker.

This recipe is not for the faint of heart but it is guaranteed to make your thing zing!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Since I'm a literalist when in comes to working a recipe the first time I use it -- what BBQ sauce do you use a cup of?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Since I'm a literalist when in comes to working a recipe the first time I use it -- what BBQ sauce do you use a cup of?

I suggest generic off-the-shelf brand, same as with the bourbon. We also either punch a few holes in the chicken breasts or butterfly them to be certain that the marinade does its job. This recipe has worked for us for 30 years and now we are into variations (beer-can, smoker, etc.). Bon appetit!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I suggest generic off-the-shelf brand, same as with the bourbon. We also either punch a few holes in the chicken breasts or butterfly them to be certain that the marinade does its job. This recipe has worked for us for 30 years and now we are into variations (beer-can, smoker, etc.). Bon appetit!

Next time try it bricked - butterfly the chicken, marinade and put it on the grill under a couple of preheated heavy bricks wrapped in foil. I usually use an Italian rub for this but it also works well with a marinated chicken. I brown it skin down, flip it to finish cooking and then flip it back skin down for a few minutes w/o the bricks to crisp the skin.

You can find variations for the recipe on line - just google bricked chicken. It's my favorite grilled chicken by far.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

TJI - Bullseye Original was voted #1 by Cook's Illustrated a while back. I also like Sweet Baby Ray's. I fooled around for years making my own BBQ sauce until I finally figured out the stuff I was making wasn't any better than I could buy at the market. Just stay away from Kraft (JMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom