OT: Arizona Wildcats facing 'potentially significant sanctions and penalties,' UA attorney says | The Boneyard

OT: Arizona Wildcats facing 'potentially significant sanctions and penalties,' UA attorney says

Reaction Score

>>In a victim impact statement filed in federal court in advance of Book Richardson's upcoming sentencing, University of Arizona general counsel Laura Todd Johnson said the school is "facing the prospect of potentially significant sanctions and penalties from the NCAA flowing from the unlawful actions involved in this case."

Johnson also wrote that the university has had to hire outside counsel at "significant expense" to conduct internal reviews and investigations and guide the UA through an NCAA investigation that "is just now getting underway in the aftermath of the criminal trial." (The last statement supports what a UA spokesman told the Star on May 3, when he said "an NCAA investigation is underway," but appears to contradict a UA statement released the next day that said "any reports stating that the NCAA has either 'started' or 'launched' a new investigation at the University of Arizona are entirely false").<<

Reaction Score

>>In a victim impact statement filed in federal court in advance of Book Richardson's upcoming sentencing, University of Arizona general counsel Laura Todd Johnson said the school is "facing the prospect of potentially significant sanctions and penalties from the NCAA flowing from the unlawful actions involved in this case."

Johnson also wrote that the university has had to hire outside counsel at "significant expense" to conduct internal reviews and investigations and guide the UA through an NCAA investigation that "is just now getting underway in the aftermath of the criminal trial." (The last statement supports what a UA spokesman told the Star on May 3, when he said "an NCAA investigation is underway," but appears to contradict a UA statement released the next day that said "any reports stating that the NCAA has either 'started' or 'launched' a new investigation at the University of Arizona are entirely false").<<
I do wonder if in a victim impact statement, the university has an incentive to appear as aggrieved as possible, to maximize the potential sentencing of Richardson. Then, they can turn around to the NCAA and claim they were victimized by the guy

Reaction Score
I do wonder if in a victim impact statement, the university has an incentive to appear as aggrieved as possible, to maximize the potential sentencing of Richardson. Then, they can turn around to the NCAA and claim they were victimized by the guy

Yes, this.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see or hear it. Till then it will be business as usual just like UNC and others

Reaction Score
I don’t think much will happen, Arizona will skate. The next time they really throw the book at someone, that school should bring down the NCAA. They don’t do squat about anything unless they have a vendetta. Eventually, someone will call them on it. It probably should have been us during the APR mess.

You have to remember, small schools get picked on and nobody even notices. There is more of a case for uneven treatment if you look at what the NCAA has done to punish low major and mid major schools when compared to power schools. Someone could really embarrass them by throwing it all on the table at once.

Reaction Score
The defiant attitude of the AD in keeping Miller as coach seemed brazen. My suspicion was that he knew they’d skate.

Reaction Score
UConn's problem was that we made the players go to class and gave them real grades combined with some players leaving UConn. In short we got hammered for treating players like students.

Let players cheat or commit academic fraud or pay them like employees, no problem.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes, there was definitely a vendetta against us. It was totally personal.

Yes, because of the bad blood between Emmert and UCONN, due to his mismanagement of the campus building program while he was Chancellor.

I really think the days of the NCAA whitewashing any more scandals is over. If they sweep this one under the rug then nobody will take them seriously ever again. The media will crucify them. It will be the beginning of the end of the NCAA.

C

Chief00

Exactly.

Reaction Score
Yes, because of the bad blood between Emmert and UCONN, due to his mismanagement of the campus building program while he was Chancellor.

I really think the days of the NCAA whitewashing any more scandals is over. If they sweep this one under the rug then nobody will take them seriously ever again. The media will crucify them. It will be the beginning of the end of the NCAA.
Lol..they don’t care if anyone takes them seriously

Reaction Score
I sort of think the current situation is different. Folks going to jail isn’t the same as somebody getting too much peanut butter on his bagel. NCAA can’t split hairs and say nothing to see here when people are going to the slammer for things that are indeed also violations of NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
Yet they still have the 2nd best class in the country coming in. I don’t get it, we would be recruiting unranked players if we were in a similar situation.
We've never known how to play that part of the game. Yes, Emmert is a scumbag loser who defrauded the state and had a personal vendetta against UConn but we never should have put ourselves in a position where he could have screwed us over apr nonsense.

Reaction Score
if Miller doesn’t get hit with failure to monitor and promote an atmosphere of compliance the whole thing should be considered a sham
This whole thing is already a sham. North Carolina fake classes was the icing on the cake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom