OT: Argo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Argo

Reaction Score
The Master sucked out loud. Self indulgent drivel. And I liked There Will Be Blood.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Master sucked out loud. Self indulgent drivel. And I liked There Will Be Blood.

I liked There Will Be Blood a lot more than No Country. Am I alone on that?

Reaction Score
I liked There Will Be Blood a lot more than No Country. Am I alone on that?

Probably. But I may be the only one who doesn't think the band Mumford and Sons is the best thing since sliced bread.

Reaction Score
I just saw Argo finally and actually liked it more than Lincoln and Django. I can't speak to the rest of nominees. It's a movie, they have to insert some creativity into it because rarely do real life events make for a good movie. If the whole movie built up to the group going through the airport at five in the morning with absolutely no problems whatsoever, I'm not sure you would have walked out happier about them sticking to the real life events.

I also wouldn't have had an issue with Django winning, but Lincoln was just brought down by Sally Field. I understand she was nominated for that role and I normally really like her, but the entire group I went with walked out of the movie pointing to her as the weak link and for me it put the movie a notch below the other two.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I also wouldn't have had an issue with Django winning, but Lincoln was just brought down by Sally Field. I understand she was nominated for that role and I normally really like her, but the entire group I went with walked out of the movie pointing to her as the weak link and for me it put the movie a notch below the other two.

I agree. And she really thought she was going to win the Oscar.

Reaction Score
I agree. And she really thought she was going to win the Oscar.
In all fairness, she had a couple of award-worthy scenes, but for me it wasn't nearly enough to make up for the complete inconsistency of her performance. When she was good, she was great, and when she was bad, it stuck out like a sore thumb next to Tommy Lee Jones and Daniel Day-Lewis.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Master was horrendous. I feel the same way about There Will Be Blood. Both self-indulgent movies that spend the whole film telling you how important a movie it is. This apparently causes the reviewers to miss the over-direction and over-acting, to say nothing of the gaping holes in the plot. Anderson uses just about every directorial gimmick in the book. Adams and Phoenix spend 2 and a half hours chewing the scenery. It takes 20 minutes of meaningless screen time before Phoenix and Hoffman even meet. It makes absolutely no sense why Hoffman will have anything to do with a drifter like Phoenix. The "Interview" scene in Philadelphia where Hoffman converts Phoenix to the cause is so bad it is comical. This movie is unwatchable dreck.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In it's defense, it did have Amy Adams giving a hand job.

To my point about over-direction. Making a character a pervert to show he is a bad guy is one of the weakest story-telling gimmicks in movies. That scene came out of nowhere and had no impact at anything that came afterward. The Phoenix character was a pervert too, which also didn't seem to be relevant to the overall plot. Directors resort to stuff like this when a story doesn't stand on its own.

I almost never say this, but the nudity in The Master was gratuitous.

The more scenes I think about in that movie, the more I think it sucks.

Reaction Score
Guys, rent Silver Linings Playbook. The missus will appreciate it. It's actually not nearly as chick-flicky as you think, there's minimal dancing, and there's lots of Jennifer Lawrence in yoga pants which is altogether fantastic.

I say again: Jennifer Lawrence, yoga pants.

I second the motion. Jennifer Lawrence was smokin' hot in that movie. And the movie was outstanding as well. Definitely better than Argo.

Argo was "good". Not great, not even VERY good. How it wins best picture is beyond me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom