OT Arby’s; Restaurant of the People | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Arby’s; Restaurant of the People

Reaction Score
John's and DiNic's roast pork in Philly, Portillo's Italian beef in Chicago, Cole's French dip in L.A.

I could go on. I sense a thread lol.
Portillo’s wet beef is the best Sammy in Great Lakes region. And that empire was started by Dickie Portillo selling hot dogs out of a freaking stand alone cart!

Reaction Score
22 for pastrami 21 for corned beef and brisket

Worth every penny
Just reading the thread my mouth is watering. That hot pastrami is right out of a steamer. Seriously, what is better than this?

Reaction Score
I liked John’s better than DiNic’s.

Love the Central Grocery Muffaletta. Did you know you can have them shipped? That was my Christmas present to the office two years ago. They are even better two days out. You can also order the olive spread on Amazon and try your hand at replicating the sandwich yourself. The meat is the easy part. The bread is the hard part. Apicella’s sesame round from New Haven is the closest I’ve come and it is awesome.

Ferdi Special is my oldest daughter’s favorite. I usually just order a side of debris and put it on everything. But breakfast is my favorite at Mother’s and the crawfish ettouffe omelet is my go-to, with a side of Jerry’s Jambalaya.

To paraphrase @Fishy, any toddler can make a good cheesesteak.
What's your favorite place for a roast beef po boy? Fried oyster? Shrimp?

I've only tried Parasol's and Tracey's. Need to try more spots next time I go.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While we disagree on Arby’s, I couldn’t agree more on Primantis. I’ve had a large cross section of the country’s great sandwiches and Primantis was the biggest letdown of the major names.

Primanti's does indeed suck. Mediocre ingredients. Insipid bread. Putting cole slaw on top makes everything taste like cole slaw. And adding fries simply makes the fries soggy.

But... at the least the fries are real fries and not that curly fry BS. And Primanti's uses actual cheese, not processed crap from a can. And the meat looks like actual meat. And hey, cole slaw has vitamins.

Edge to Primanti's. Besides, at Arby's you can't order an egg on top.

But I wouldn't spend a dime on either.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What's your favorite place for a roast beef po boy? Fried oyster? Shrimp?

I've only tried Parasol's and Tracey's. Need to try more spots next time I go.
I haven't tried all the legendary po boy shops, but I like Johnny's Po Boys in the Quarter--especially their "surf and turf" po boy, which is roast beef topped with fried shrimp.

My favorite po boy place there in recent years has been Killer Po Boys, but they are not traditional. My favorites there are the Seared Gulf Shrimp or Black Beer Beef Debris. Their pork belly one is also famous and it is very tasty, but it has too much belly fat and not enough meat for my tastes.

And my favorite sandwich in the city in recent years, hands down, has been Le Pig Mac at Cochon Butcher. Two all pork patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame bun. They nail everything you ever loved about a Big Mac, except with tremendously tasty, house-made pork patties instead of lame hamburgers. I can't not get it on every visit.

1493754229896.jpeg

Reaction Score
Nothing beats Chaps Pit Beef in Baltimore, period.

Try that with a side of Arby’s curly fries ...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I haven't tried all the legendary po boy shops, but I like Johnny's Po Boys in the Quarter--especially their "surf and turf" po boy, which is roast beef topped with fried shrimp.

My favorite po boy place there in recent years has been Killer Po Boys, but they are not traditional. My favorites there are the Seared Gulf Shrimp or Black Beer Beef Debris. Their pork belly one is also famous and it is very tasty, but it has too much belly fat and not enough meat for my tastes.

And my favorite sandwich in the city in recent years, hands down, has been Le Pig Mac at Cochon Butcher. Two all pork patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame bun. They nail everything you ever loved about a Big Mac, except with tremendously tasty, house-made pork patties instead of lame hamburgers. I can't not get it on every visit.

1493754229896.jpeg
I have a feeling we could be friends.

Reaction Score

1493754229896.jpeg

Why am I wasting my time trying to find the nearest Raising Cane's when I'm down there. That looks fabulous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom