OT - Anyone here enjoy cooking? | The Boneyard

OT - Anyone here enjoy cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I try and expand my culinary skills as often and as much as possible. I'm no chef but I very much enjoy making tasty things and I'm always looking for new dishes and dinner ideas. Anybody else out there try and be a kitchen wiz?

Tomorrow's menu will be chicken saltimbocca with a quick roasted veggie risotto.

Reaction Score
Yes but I prefer eating.
Sure, who doesn't. I enjoy the process to get there too though. You know, when it comes out as I had hoped. Tried making a dirty rice the other night, was just missing something.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Love cooking but love it even more for larger groups of people. Thats why tailgates are always great, pre cook a lot of stuff at home in large quantities, cook some burgers/sausages/dogs at the game, then save it all for later/the next day as well.

Much prefer cooking to baking. Baking has to be so exact in the measurements. Cooking is more of an "eye test" type of deal

Reaction Score
I would rather cook than clean. Fortunately my wife feels the opposite.

Reaction Score
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/143809/best-steak-marinade-in-existence/

Use this recipe for your steak marinade. Cut little slices into the top and bottom of the steaks, put them into bags with the marinade and let them sit for 6-8 hours in the fridge then cook to your preferred temperature (best in a cask iron skillet to get a good charred topping). Also, asparagus with a little olive oil, salt, parmesan and wrapped in prosciutto and then a rice or sweet potato.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I enjoy cooking, but only things that I can't trust my wife (with her reluctance to season with abandon) to make. Chili, Gumbo, Jambalaya, chicken fried steak, etc.

Reaction Score
Good thread. I love cooking and make a homemade meal most nights, then something big on weekends.

Last weekend, I decided I wasn't waiting for Thanksgiving and made an entire Thanksgiving dinner for me, my daughter and my girlfriend. The next day, I made pasta dough and made "Thanksgiving ravioli". They were stuffed with 50% mashed potato, 25% turkey and 20% stuffing with a 5% dollop of cranberry sauce inside. Then I boiled them and drizzled them with gravy. It was the best things of your Thanksgiving dinner all in one bite. Amazing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Last weekend, I decided I wasn't waiting for Thanksgiving and made an entire Thanksgiving dinner for me, my daughter and my girlfriend. The next day, I made pasta dough and made "Thanksgiving ravioli". They were stuffed with 50% mashed potato, 25% turkey and 20% stuffing with a 5% dollop of cranberry sauce inside. Then I boiled them and drizzled them with gravy. It was the best things of your Thanksgiving dinner all in one bite. Amazing.
Did you save some for @August_West?

Reaction Score
Good thread. I love cooking and make a homemade meal most nights, then something big on weekends.

Saw it on FB - very interesting

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
Did you save some for @August_West?

You want to stir me up again ?
I'll just leave this here. ( received this In my mail) You can extrapolate the meaning. :)

hqsgOFo.jpg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If I may recommend... The Food Lab by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt was released a few months back and takes more scientific look at the how's and why's things work the way they do when cooking... In addition to tons of delicious recipes. Very interesting book. Many of his other recipes can be found on seriouseats.com. He used to be at Cooks Illustrated and takes a similar approach to recipes - make it a ton of times until you find what works best. Some of the recipes are a bit complicated, but the results are almost always worth it.

That aside, got in to cooking by watching my mom. I enjoy it.

Reaction Score
Cooks Illustrated is a fantastic magazine to learn about food. They have great recipes, though some of them take some skill. This is no Rachel Ray stuff. Highly recommend it.

I haven't cooked in almost three years though. It is a great way to allow you to eat well without paying for it elsewhere. Now I just pay for it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/143809/best-steak-marinade-in-existence/

Use this recipe for your steak marinade. Cut little slices into the top and bottom of the steaks, put them into bags with the marinade and let them sit for 6-8 hours in the fridge then cook to your preferred temperature (best in a cask iron skillet to get a good charred topping). Also, asparagus with a little olive oil, salt, parmesan and wrapped in prosciutto and then a rice or sweet potato.

Better yet, buy a top shelf freshly piece of steak. Use just a pinch of salt, nothing else. Best meat you'll ever eat. And the easiest thing to cook in the world.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Where were you in the "I hate turkey" thread when all the philistines were bashing on the good bird?

Reaction Score
Cooks Illustrated is a fantastic magazine to learn about food. They have great recipes, though some of them take some skill. This is no Rachel Ray stuff. Highly recommend it.

I haven't cooked in almost three years though. It is a great way to allow you to eat well without paying for it elsewhere. Now I just pay for it.
Cooks Illustrated is great but some of those recipes take ffffffffoooooorrrrrreeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
You might want to try Blue Apron. $60 a week and a box of food and recipes are delivered to your door. I liked them when I was in NYC, saved me having to shop. I'll get them again when I settle down here in Ess . Only complaint is they tend to push the fish on you, and I don't want to eat tilapia every week.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Those Ravioli's sound amazing.

Reaction Score
Love cooking. I grill, smoke (brine your turkey for 4 or 5 days and smoke it on thanksgiving, mmmm good), bake, broil, you name it i've done it pretty good in most cases. Baked sweets and breads tend to be what i do the least, so im not great at those things (well more so not great with breads, sweets is as simple as following some recipe to the T).

For big groups, Hickory smoked Pork butt is always a crowd pleaser as is Ribs.

But yea if i eat it somewhere and i like it, i go home and make it myself and usually better!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You might want to try Blue Apron. $60 a week and a box of food and recipes are delivered to your door. I liked them when I was in NYC, saved me having to shop. I'll get them again when I settle down here in Ess . Only complaint is they tend to push the fish on you, and I don't want to eat tilapia every week.

Not to mention tilapia is a sorry excuse for a fish.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I try and expand my culinary skills as often and as much as possible. I'm no chef but I very much enjoy making tasty things and I'm always looking for new dishes and dinner ideas. Anybody else out there try and be a kitchen wiz?

Tomorrow's menu will be chicken saltimbocca with a quick roasted veggie risotto.

In the past couple of years I've been cooking more. But if it isn't grilled, or cooked in a skillet or crockpot, I haven't cooked it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I was busy brining and roasting a delicious bird.

Oh, and Sunday morning, I put chopped turkey and stuffing on a waffle iron. #theczarofthanksgiving

Is that what that was? I thought you were going to put turkey and stuffing on top of a waffle, like the southern chicken and waffle trend. Now that I know what it was, it looked even better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky