OT: Any car people here? | The Boneyard

OT: Any car people here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My tailgate handle broke, so I ordered a new one from Auto Zone.

The new one went in with no problem, but the screw holding in the lock for the old handle broke. I can't find a replacement lock.

I went to my local dealer (Chevy) and was told I'd have to buy the entire handle, with a lock. I already have the handle, I just need the lock.

And no, I can't return the new handle I bought at Auto Zone, because I already threw away the box.

All USEFUL suggestions are welcome.

Reaction Score
My tailgate handle broke, so I ordered a new one from Auto Zone.

The new one went in with no problem, but the screw holding in the lock for the old handle broke. I can't find a replacement lock.

I went to my local dealer (Chevy) and was told I'd have to buy the entire handle, with a lock. I already have the handle, I just need the lock.

And no, I can't return the new handle I bought at Auto Zone, because I already threw away the box.

All USEFUL suggestions are welcome.

might try ebay? or a junkyard.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
might try ebay? or a junkyard.

Junkyard or a "u pull it" type place should be able to help. Nice thing about Chevy is that there's plenty of crossover with plenty of other GM vehicles.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I ended up just buying a handle without a lock hole ($13 on eBay), and will return the one I bought with the hole for the lock ($70 at Auto Zone).

Never understood the need for a lock on a truck tailgate anyway. The bed cover is cloth, and snaps on. I'm not sure the lock serves much of a purpose.

Reaction Score
I ended up just buying a handle without a lock hole ($13 on eBay), and will return the one I bought with the hole for the lock ($70 at Auto Zone).

Never understood the need for a lock on a truck tailgate anyway. The bed cover is cloth, and snaps on. I'm not sure the lock serves much of a purpose.

might come in handy if you had a cap on the bed.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
might come in handy if you had a cap on the bed.

I do, but it's cloth and snaps on from the outside. I do have a friend who told me tailgates are easily removed/stolen, and a lock would make this far more difficult.

Reaction Score
I do, but it's cloth and snaps on from the outside. I do have a friend who told me tailgates are easily removed/stolen, and a lock would make this far more difficult.

I mean more something like this - a camper-type cap

96767d1393198293-nice-81-pickup-camper-shell-ebay-capture.jpg

Reaction Score
We prefer the term Transformers, as we find the term "Car People" offensive.

(I stole this from a local comic I know, Dame FK. Sorry, Dame.)

Reaction Score
Big load in the back and you want to make sure that tailgate is going to stay up. Lock that sucker if you're carrying a load.

Dropping a ton of #2 stone on a road as you pull away from a light in an uphill is not a good look.

Reaction Score

I know for a while, people were getting their tailgates stolen like it was going out of style. I always figured it was kids playing pranks but then heard they were being sold online regularly. So a lockis really gor anti theft of tailgate itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom