OT Another Look at Development in Mansfield | The Boneyard

OT Another Look at Development in Mansfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn has had to have done tremendous research & due diligence to accommodate future development.

Last week, we (again) discussed the infrastructure support for the Town to accommodate any traffic to a 50-60,000 Football stadium ... or even more Sports related development - like Hockey arena, new Soccer/Baseball, additional fields. I am not a local; but, have sat on major meeting on mixed use development. I hadn't thought about the UConn Research Park.

As you can see (and google to their website), this is an extensive endeavor. Takes what we know of an existing campus & includes a wide swath of land for this Park. While it may go back through earlier Presidents, I see this as firmly a Herbst venture. It is a grand plan and has some legs. Has the first building broken ground (and it would have had to if it is to be open in 2015)?

My point: we may be looking at a far more expansive UConn in the near future. To get the master-plan pushed to this point, utilities & water/sewer development started in 2010. They, apparently, are will along to push this through the approvals needed.

Attachments

• UConn Research Park.png
    UConn Research Park.png
    365.3 KB · Views: 80

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pudge said:
UConn has had to have done tremendous research & due diligence to accommodate future development.

Last week, we (again) discussed the infrastructure support for the Town to accommodate any traffic to a 50-60,000 Football stadium ... or even more Sports related development - like Hockey arena, new Soccer/Baseball, additional fields. I am not a local; but, have sat on major meeting on mixed use development. I hadn't thought about the UConn Research Park.

As you can see (and google to their website), this is an extensive endeavor. Takes what we know of an existing campus & includes a wide swath of land for this Park. While it may go back through earlier Presidents, I see this as firmly a Herbst venture. It is a grand plan and has some legs. Has the first building broken ground (and it would have had to if it is to be open in 2015)?

My point: we may be looking at a far more expansive UConn in the near future. To get the master-plan pushed to this point, utilities & water/sewer development started in 2010. They, apparently, are will along to push this through the approvals needed.

Started earlier than that, circa 1987. Had a few false starts in the 90's. Finally gained traction under UCONN 2000 and cleared the last major environmental hurdle in 2010.

Last I checked it was around 1 million Sq ft of office/research space but UCONN is constantly shuffling uses back and forth. Unfortunately a majority of the 300+ acres is protected open space, so the impact to campus life will be limited a bit.

I've always thought that the campus should be granted it's own municipality bounded by the main and Depot campuses, Routes 195, 275, 32, and 44. Work out the water issues and let them develop the entire site.

Reaction Score
The university published analysis explaining projected water use over the next fifty years, an input into the decision to pipe water through Tolland as a means of servicing the university and town as they grow. Buried in the analysis of projected use, is the water demand associated with an on-campus football stadium.

While there is clearly nothing imminent, it is a good indication that an on campus stadium is more than just in the realm of possibility.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The university published analysis explaining projected water use over the next fifty years, an input into the decision to pipe water through Tolland as a means of servicing the university and town as they grow. Buried in the analysis of projected use, is the water demand associated with an on-campus football stadium. .

What was the date on the last analysis you read?

I think the last one I saw was in 2011 and that dealt with usage in 2015. (e.g. they were still talking about irrigation at Memorial.) They referenced a later release of 20 and 50 year projections, but I must have missed it when it happened.

Reaction Score
Started earlier than that, circa 1987. Had a few false starts in the 90's. Finally gained traction under UCONN 2000 and cleared the last major environmental hurdle in 2010.

Last I checked it was around 1 million Sq ft of office/research space but UCONN is constantly shuffling uses back and forth. Unfortunately a majority of the 300+ acres is protected open space, so the impact to campus life will be limited a bit.

I've always thought that the campus should be granted it's own municipality bounded by the main and Depot campuses, Routes 195, 275, 32, and 44. Work out the water issues and let them develop the entire site.

That's what I saw as well in earlier development docs. After marking out unbuildable areas due to the terrain and protected wetlands, the plan was going to be limited to a half-dozen or so developable parcels along the new entranceway created by extending North Hillside Road out to Rt. 44. That still should provide for the significant expansion of on-campus and joint commercial-academic research required to enhance UConn's status as a major research institution.

Reaction Score
We linked to it on this board back when it was published. Definitely within the last year, probably within the last 6 months. I am bored on vacation, so I may just go and find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom