OT - Andrew Smith (Butler starting C in 2011 NC Game) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Andrew Smith (Butler starting C in 2011 NC Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dude sometimes people pray to just feel like they doing something, not necessarily to effect change. That is the only thing they can do to feel like they are helping or empathizing. For praying people doing nothing is not an option and better yet, feeling helpless or hopeless is never a concern.

Until a better solution is found this reaction will continue on forever. Its not a negative thing whether atheist or not.

By the way, God getting the call is irrelevant, its picking up the phone and dialing the number phone number is all that matters. Like I said that feels better for the 'caller' than just walking past the phone.
My apologies.

Reaction Score
I have many regrets in my lifetime not visiting a dying friend/loved one or even reaching out to them. Attending the funeral is no consolation for my selfishness and fears. Brad Stevens did what I wish I could do and still want to do. I remember talking to a dying cousin and he broke out in tears on the phone, which I had no response. Now I realize that words are not as effective as presence. So I will go and read a newspaper, book, magazine, watch TV or something mundane; but just be there.

Not sure why I'm writing this but hopefully help those who have love ones who are sick or near death to reach out. I have found that doing so will help me more than help them. "They died so we may live" means so we may enjoy the precious life we have and stop complaining and taking things (life) for granted.

Its said that the number one guaranteed cause of death is 'birth'. Still doesn't make us living understanding and cope with that fact, any easier.

If nothing else, it's a good reminder to just be there. Funerals and last visits are so hard but I've always been so happy that I attended them afterwards. I worked with several people who always say the same thing about funerals, memorial services, etc..."I hate those things", like anyone likes them...but I always pushed them to attend and told them that there are no do overs...you skip and tomorrow wish you had showed up but you can't turn back the clock...and you'll always regret it.

Reaction Score
Looks like God didnt get the call.:rolleyes:

Obviously people already told you it was poor taste and you apologized, but I was thinking the same thing while reading it.

I'm sure somehow their belief in God will be strengthened nonetheless.

Reaction Score
I'm not that religious, but it gets tiresome reading pretentious posts from atheists every time a tragedy occurs, as if the person of faith hadn't considered that perspective. You can believe what you will without talking to people that believe in God like they're eight-year-old's putting out cookies for Santa.

Reaction Score
Eight-year-olds putting out cookies for Santa actually have some kind of evidence to work with.

Reaction Score
Eight-year-olds putting out cookies for Santa actually have some kind of evidence to work with.

I think his point was, if people want to take solace in religious belief, let them do so. Because at the end of the day, you really don't have all the answers.

Reaction Score
I think his point was, if people want to take solace in religious belief, let them do so. Because at the end of the day, you really don't have all the answers.

This. Sometimes we atheist get so annoyed with dealing with ignorance that we unfortunately lash out on those that dont deserve it. I have no problem with people who use religion as comfort during trying times. I apologize again for my comment as it was inappropriate and not needed.

Reaction Score
People will jump down your throat if you say anything back to religious people regardless of the "appropriateness" of the timing, so I just don't.

Reaction Score
People will jump down your throat if you say anything back to religious people regardless of the "appropriateness" of the timing, so I just don't.
Personally I didn't take offense to what TheChamps said. I understood where he was coming from.

Whether atheist or religious, I just was taught its better to understand than to be understood. I just wanted to provide some understanding from the 'prayer's' perspective.

Even saying "help me" to no one in particular is a form of prayer.

Reaction Score
Personally I didn't take offense to what TheChamps said. I understood where he was coming from.

Whether atheist or religious, I just was taught its better to understand than to be understood. I just wanted to provide some understanding from the 'prayer's' perspective.

Even saying "help me" to no one in particular is a form of prayer.

I understand that people feel comforted by prayer, but some of the views she espoused can lead to dangerous situations. Spontaneous remission is possible, but it's simply a rare natural phenomenon, not a miracle. Occasionally people die waiting for intervention from God without seeking actual medical treatment. That doesn't seem to be what happened here, but it's not much a leap from some of what was said for others reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom