OT: Andre Dawkins | The Boneyard

OT: Andre Dawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20131113/andre-dawkins/

I don't know, maybe it was the long crap I took while reading this article about the kid. But seriously with the tragedy that unfolded a year or so prior and the way the kid suddenly was playing this is a very strange read to me. I just somehow feel as I'm reading this, that Jim Calhoun (and KO now..) would have handled this kid's demise a lot more personally than Coach K did.......K and staff basically threw him out, forgot about him and then made him beg back. Am I wrong thinking JC would have been a much better man than K on this on? ......I don't sense a real father figure in K despite the hugs we see all the time!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Mau it sounds and reads like a tragedy. Without the details its hard for me to make a judgement. K went to the funeral and did offer him a scholarship at dook (without basketball). On the outside it looks mean spirited, but we don't know the details of the kid's mental health and if 'dook' basketball is the solution out of his depression.

As for JC, I'm not sure how he would handle it. The issue is can he be an effective basketball player with all that's going on, or does he need counseling, a break, or a change of scenery? Maybe K recognizes that he may be better off away from Durham, that is worth considering. The two of them know the extent of his depression and what therapeutic steps would be beneficial. It probably would be better away from dook, since life is bigger than basketball.

Reaction Score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20131113/andre-dawkins/

I don't know, maybe it was the long crap I took while reading this article about the kid. But seriously with the tragedy that unfolded a year or so prior and the way the kid suddenly was playing this is a very strange read to me. I just somehow feel as I'm reading this, that Jim Calhoun (and KO now..) would have handled this kid's demise a lot more personally than Coach K did.......K and staff basically threw him out, forgot about him and then made him beg back. Am I wrong thinking JC would have been a much better man than K on this on? ......I don't sense a real father figure in K despite the hugs we see all the time!:rolleyes:

I think it's your natural inclination to read any story about college basketball and say "UConn would do it better."

Reaction Score
I think it's your natural inclination to read any story about college basketball and say "UConn would do it better."

I really don't think this was a Coach K thing at all but any coach! Having said that you are correct, I would assume my thoughts on JC, not necessarily "UConn", always to be he could've done it better.....agreed.....and who knows the real depth of the story right? Tragedy no matter and hopefully he works his way back......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom