OT and a break from bad news: Non-Profit Research Institute To Build $1.1 Billion Lab At UConn | The Boneyard

OT and a break from bad news: Non-Profit Research Institute To Build $1.1 Billion Lab At UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
awesome news, and more important than what athletic conference we play in
Was just thinking the same thing but then realized I wouldn't ever get to go to Maui and watch the genetics lab play against Kentucky or see it play in a new years day bowl game. Call me shallow

Reaction Score
Was just thinking the same thing but then realized I wouldn't ever get to go to Maui and watch the genetics lab play against Kentucky or see it play in a new years day bowl game. Call me shallow
No, but maybe they can take out that pesky extra 21st chromosome you have.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great get for UConn and the State of Ct.

Reaction Score
Great get for UConn and the State of Ct.

Without question. To say I am extremely underwhelmed with Governor Malloy's term would be an understatement. But he should get kudos for this. This is only the beginning, imo, as there will be more companies like this looking to relocate to CT.

Reaction Score
Jackson Labs attempted to build this facility first in Naples, FL and then in Sarasota, FL. Both counties ultimately rejected it because Jackson brings very little skin to the game while the municipality pays astronomical amounts to lure 600 jobs. While it may turn out to be a good deal in the long run, two municipalities that really want to encourage big business to move in and that spend a lot of money on public projects said "thanks, but no thanks" once the due diligence was done. We'll see how this turns out.

Reaction Score
this is great news for uconn, and maybe great news for ct...i agree, time will tell. but from the university's standpoint, research and researchers attract more of the same. building a concentrated research center will take time, but it is good to see that major scientific institutes will invest $800M of their own capital - and you can be sure other companies and non-profits will follow suit.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've been working with Jackson Labs for a few years at work. It's an interesting company.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great news. The kind of thing that might impress the Big Ten too.

Reaction Score
This is phenomenal news. I think that this is something that Malloy can definitely take credit for. Without the Bioscience CT investment there is no way this happens and this absolutely will pay dividends immediately especially if you count the construction jobs. It's also very encouraging that this is a partnership between the State of CT, UConn, and Yale. This is a huge get for the state.

Reaction Score
Jackson Labs attempted to build this facility first in Naples, FL and then in Sarasota, FL. Both counties ultimately rejected it because Jackson brings very little skin to the game while the municipality pays astronomical amounts to lure 600 jobs. While it may turn out to be a good deal in the long run, two municipalities that really want to encourage big business to move in and that spend a lot of money on public projects said "thanks, but no thanks" once the due diligence was done. We'll see how this turns out.

What universities are in those cities? NY tried this with U. Albany a decade ago with nanotechnology. They poured in one billion. Just yesterday, they announced a $4 billion buildout with big companies at the forefront of the industry.

http://www.citytowninfo.com/career-...-with-suny-could-yield-2500-new-jobs-11092802

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Once you get one billlion dollar institute, it's a lot easier to land the next.

$1billion. That's going to be one hell of a practice facility.

Reaction Score
True, but for some reason I kept thinking B10 as I was reading the article.

this certainly doesn't hurt that either. i hate to get OT, but it looks like we'll probably be where we are for 3-4 years so we need to dress ourselves up for the next conference beauty pageant and research always looks nice to the B10.

Reaction Score
What universities are in those cities? NY tried this with U. Albany a decade ago with nanotechnology. They poured in one billion. Just yesterday, they announced a $4 billion buildout with big companies at the forefront of the industry.

http://www.citytowninfo.com/career-...-with-suny-could-yield-2500-new-jobs-11092802

It was going to be in conjuction with USF. Florida Gulf Coast University was going to add new programs for it as well. Edison College (nursing etc.) was going to open an annex next to Jackson and a Biomedical Development Council was created to bring in more companies. The medical field is growing in the area because of the large hospital system and Health Management Associates is based there.

The thing about the Naples project is that the land was free and the state and county were paying several hundred million as well. That area has so much wealth that Jackson thought they were an easy mark for an additional $120 million in private donations.. The problem is, when you divide $3 hundred million(half was state, half from county) by 662 jobs, you get a cost of $400,000 per job plus all the associated infrastructure costs etc. You could pay just about anyone that kind of money and get them to open up shop in your area. The ancillory 5000 jobs are awfully hard to quantify.

I am glad Connecticut pulled the trigger though, as I think it is good for UCONN. I am all for anything that advances the image of the university and grows the the state's medical and technology industries. New York made a great decision with nanotechnology. In many people's minds it marks the first time in many years that New York made a great decision regarding public investment. Hopefully, this will be big for Greater Hartford.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can you share more?

I work with them on the financial end, it has nothing to do with their usual research. As far as health insurance and employee benefits go they are 'cutting edge'. It's probably not interesting to anyone who isn't in the field, but Maine is well ahead of the curve in some respects. A lot of that is due to Peter Hayes from Hannaford Bros., but Jackson Labs is also driving a lot of change.

F

fortebleedsblue

I work with them on the financial end, it has nothing to do with their usual research. As far as health insurance and employee benefits go they are 'cutting edge'. It's probably not interesting to anyone who isn't in the field, but Maine is well ahead of the curve in some respects. A lot of that is due to Peter Hayes from Hannaford Bros., but Jackson Labs is also driving a lot of change.

Health benefits aren't as good as when I first got there.... The good thing is we have a brand new fully equipped gym (completely free) As a healthier living incentive that's over looking the mountains but it barely gets used (not that I'm complaining :-D ) ... But better yet we win prizes like LCD tvs vacations etc as part of the jax fit program.

Reaction Score
Health benefits aren't as good as when I first got there.... The good thing is we have a brand new fully equipped gym (completely free) As a healthier living incentive that's over looking the mountains but it barely gets used (not that I'm complaining :-D ) ... But better yet we win prizes like LCD tvs vacations etc as part of the jax fit program.
Thanks to both of you. I was wondering when Whaler said interesting company, I instantly thought of cryogenics and reports Ted Williams' frozen head. I think cryogenics was what they called it, that co. out of Arizona.

Just my morbid mind I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul