OT and a break from bad news: Non-Profit Research Institute To Build $1.1 Billion Lab At UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT and a break from bad news: Non-Profit Research Institute To Build $1.1 Billion Lab At UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Health benefits aren't as good as when I first got there.... The good thing is we have a brand new fully equipped gym (completely free) As a healthier living incentive that's over looking the mountains but it barely gets used (not that I'm complaining :-D ) ... But better yet we win prizes like LCD tvs vacations etc as part of the jax fit program.

I think more companies should do stuff like this...

Reaction Score
I think more companies should do stuff like this...

It's an old idea. Turn of the century, a lot of industries did this. Here's what the Larkin Soap Company in Buffalo used to do:

Larkin Company hired a trained nurse in 1905. Both the office and factory had medical facilities for employees.... In 1915, the company opened a modern dental office that provided a variety of services at nominal prices. The Company provided comfortable lounges and rest rooms, a gym, showers, lockers, and a large restaurant. Additional restaurants opened as the workforce expanded.

Social activities, including recreation, sports, and employee clubs, were integral parts to Larkin's corporate culture and to foster a spirit of teamwork. The activities and clubs provided employees with much-needed leisure time and opportunities to form social bonds with other employees and managers. These clubs included basketball, bowling, and baseball. Larkin teams competed in industrial and citywide leagues and in local and national bowling tournaments.

Reaction Score
What universities are in those cities? NY tried this with U. Albany a decade ago with nanotechnology. They poured in one billion. Just yesterday, they announced a $4 billion buildout with big companies at the forefront of the industry.

http://www.citytowninfo.com/career-...-with-suny-could-yield-2500-new-jobs-11092802

In Naples it is Florida Gulf Coast University. FGCU is founded in 1991 (but the first class was in 1995.). The Univesity is part of the Florida State University System. The School (FGCU) has a nice campus with a lake for waterskiing and boating!

In Sarasota, it is (I believe) New College, another part of the FSUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro
Top Bottom