OT: Am I the only one here with leaves still on trees? | The Boneyard

OT: Am I the only one here with leaves still on trees?

Reaction Score
Holy Cow, its November and I can't rake. Here in Fairfield County we'll be raking leaves until Christmas.

Forget fall foliage (the scenery sucked this year) this is just crazy.

My leaves are still green by the way, Any of you guys able to see through your trees yet?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My backyard gets tons of sun. I have one tree that’s pretty much done. One just started to turn and one that was yellow until Thanksgiving last year. End of daylight savings time should help.

Reaction Score
Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the trees still have leaves on them here. I'm in northern Farifield County. I thought the rain and wind last week would take them out, but there are still a lot left. I think the lack of color (very little red in the foliage) and the leaves hanging on has a lot to do with the crazy warm fall we've had. I'm still waiting to schedule my gutter cleaning. (1st world problem, I know.)

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Leaves on trees in my backyard also. However, not surprised. Past years a couple of my trees still had leaves well into November. My zero turn does not go into the shop untill the end of November. We tons rain since April. That coupled with mild weather (like this morning, have windows open) is probably extending the leaf life. However, looking out my deck window, a few of my neighbors trees have lost their leaves.

Reaction Score
My trees all have their leaves, but some are just starting to change color. Im in Georgia though...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Leaf raking is a scam perpetuated by the lawn rake industry and by parents trying to get their lazy teenage kids off of sofas.

Leaves have been falling for millennia in nature and I don't see squirrels, Chipmunks or rabbits raking 'em.

Let them be and naturally renourish your lawn.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Leaf raking is a scam perpetuated by the lawn rake industry and by parents trying to get their lazy teenage kids off of sofas.

Leaves have been falling for millennia in nature and I don't see squirrels, Chipmunks or rabbits raking 'em.

Let them be and naturally renourish your lawn.
After my fiancé pushed me out the door to rake yesterday she was like “ugh why do have to rake? No one rakes the forest.” I was like ummm well the leaves just decompose. She wanted to know why our leaves weren’t decomposing. They had been on the ground a week that’s how!

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Oaks tend to drop their leafs last. Maples earlier. Cherrys the earliest. At least thats how it goes in my yard.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
After my fiancé pushed me out the door to rake yesterday she was like “ugh why do have to rake? No one rakes the forest.” I was like ummm well the leaves just decompose. She wanted to know why our leaves weren’t decomposing. They had been on the ground a week that’s how!

Beautiful.

Reaction Score
My trees all have their leaves, but some are just starting to change color. Im in Georgia though...

In NC, I have a mix of close to peak color and just starting to change. My oaks are still green though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I always have leaves on trees at this time...for oaks at least. They hold them a long time. Maples drop sooner, and are late this year, I think due to our warm September, even though August was unusually cool. No big deal. Not a sign of the Apocalypse. Colors were really strong this year.

Reaction Score
Oaks tend to drop their leafs last. Maples earlier. Cherrys the earliest. At least thats how it goes in my yard.
Yeah I've got 3 large oaks, acorns fell like crazy the leaves are handcuffed. Wish I knew this in my 20s when I brought my house, I would of looked for more maples. Maple tree leaves decompose nicely. Had a couple of nice birches, but the nearby oaks greedily sucked all the water up, killing them. My oaks are huge and gutter hazards and of course a pain in the arse to rake (too many leaves). Good shade though but their roots encroach on sidewalk and elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Yeah I've got 3 large oaks, acorns fell like crazy the leaves are handcuffed. Wish I knew this in my 20s when I brought my house, I would of looked for more maples. Maple tree leaves decompose nicely. Had a couple of nice birches, but the nearby oaks greedily sucked all the water up, killing them. My oaks are huge and gutter hazards and of course a pain in the arse to rake (too many leaves). Good shade though but their roots encroach on sidewalk and elsewhere.

I have one enormous oak, 3 large oaks and a large black cherry. I just mow every weekend and by spring its all gone.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I've got about 25+ oaks, and a few maples and black cherry trees. Agree with you on all counts. I go into the wood and cut down oak saplings regularly, and now Maples and black cherry trees are filling in. I take down a few oaks ever few years. The leaves stay on forever, and then don't decompose quickly.

Reaction Score
In Westport the change has been dramatic in the last week. Not a particularly colorful autumn though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Forget leaves falling my habanero and jalapeno plants are still producing

We're still getting cherry tomatoes. But that's about to end as we're getting our first frost tomorrow night and first freeze on Friday.

Last year about 1/3 of my leaves stayed in trees until after the last leaf pickup 1st week of December. They should all be well down this year before then.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My leaf pick up is next Wednesday. Insanely early and leaves me with the pleasure of bagging and dragging most of the leaves rather than just blowing to the curb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom